Windows 10: Windows cleanup ain't working

  1.    22 Feb 2017 #1

    Windows cleanup ain't working


    So just the cleanup works (altho it removes thumbnails but sometime later adds the same amount back idk what's up with that?)
    But the clean up of system files isn't working. I try to remove windows updates and it actually added like 500MB onto my C drive instead of removing like 3gb of updates and some MBs of other stuff. I could really use that extra space I only have 744MB on C 7,28MB on D 1 gb on E. I disabled downloading of any further updates btw,

    What can I do?

    And an additional question: are there some other ways to cleanup at least a few bit of space without risks? some that aren't that known ofc
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 6,963
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       22 Feb 2017 #2

    pf22 said: View Post
    But the clean up of system files isn't working...
    ...are there some other ways to cleanup at least a few bit of space without risks?
    Welcome to TenForums @pf22

    Are you clicking Disk Clean-up's 'Clean system files' button? You have to do that before it will list the system files that could be cleaned. You also need to make sure there's a tick the appropriate boxes, most of the system items are left unchecked by default.

    When you do use the 'Clean up system files' button you will see an extra tab called 'More Options'. Here you can delete all but the most recent restore point.

    Anther point, if you use another browser like Firefox Disk Clean-up won't empty it's cache - it will only clear temporary internet files for Edge and IE. You can empty the cache of other browsers from their own setting pages.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Clean Install
       22 Feb 2017 #3

    Welcome
    You may want to try and old trick that I have been using for years. Go to search, type %temp%, and (from what I understand) all files with the name temp (can be removed without problem) are displayed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Feb 2017 #4

    Bree said: View Post
    Welcome to TenForums @pf22

    Are you clicking Disk Clean-up's 'Clean system files' button? You have to do that before it will list the system files that could be cleaned. You also need to make sure there's a tick the appropriate boxes, most of the system items are left unchecked by default.

    When you do use the 'Clean up system files' button you will see an extra tab called 'More Options'. Here you can delete all but the most recent restore point.

    Anther point, if you use another browser like Firefox Disk Clean-up won't empty it's cache - it will only clear temporary internet files for Edge and IE. You can empty the cache of other browsers from their own setting pages.
    Thanks Yup I did it and it only added space :/ It's annoying cause I could use any kb I can get

    richc46 said: View Post
    Welcome
    You may want to try and old trick that I have been using for years. Go to search, type %temp%, and (from what I understand) all files with the name temp (can be removed without problem) are displayed.
    tnx, that's a bit too risky for extra space I'd say :S
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 361
    Windows 10 Pro 1803 17134.48
       22 Feb 2017 #5

    To the OP - You haven't stated how large your C: drive is and are you really on Windows 7 ? Beyond that, I've been using Temp File Cleaner by Oldtimer - link -> TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer Download - Geeks to Go Forum and its available from a lot of sites. If I run the windows cleaner program, followed by TFC, it always finds more stuff to get rid of. I have using it under Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1 and Win 10 since inception. I have not observed any problems.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 33,046
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       22 Feb 2017 #6

    @pf22

    At Admin command prompt, copy/paste this. Check off all boxes. Wait for all the flashing taskbar icons to finish, then close Cmd window. It goes a little deeper than Disk Cleanup.

    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    22 Feb 2017 #7

    You can goto settings then system choose storage click on the drive you can then see what sort of files are stored click on temp and you can delete them from there it finds all temp files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    23 Feb 2017 #8

    storageman said: View Post
    To the OP - You haven't stated how large your C: drive is and are you really on Windows 7 ? Beyond that, I've been using Temp File Cleaner by Oldtimer - link -> TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer Download - Geeks to Go Forum and its available from a lot of sites. If I run the windows cleaner program, followed by TFC, it always finds more stuff to get rid of. I have using it under Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1 and Win 10 since inception. I have not observed any problems.
    https://s10.postimg.org/ei6zbuzrt/dwafwa.png

    7 Ultimate, 32 bit, SP1

    I'm using Advanced System Care btw (what extras would tfc do?)

    but the point of the topic is the Disk Cleanup that comes with windows, that you find either by right clicking the disk or searching for it. It never removes the 3gb it only added space (that later somehow disappeared and got me back to how much space I initially had)

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    @pf22

    At Admin command prompt, copy/paste this. Check off all boxes. Wait for all the flashing taskbar icons to finish, then close Cmd window. It goes a little deeper than Disk Cleanup.

    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    what exactly does that do? kinda too risky for someone like me

    Samuria said: View Post
    You can goto settings then system choose storage click on the drive you can then see what sort of files are stored click on temp and you can delete them from there it finds all temp files
    I take it this is the way to find what you mean on Win10? I'm using 7 tho so I don't know what you mean :/
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 6,963
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       23 Feb 2017 #9

    pf22 said: View Post
    7 Ultimate, 32 bit, SP1 ... I'm using 7 tho so I don't know what you mean :/
    Well, this is TenForums after all

    You'll find a link to Seven Forums at the bottom of the page in the list of 'Our Sites'.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  

    Related Threads
    Performance & Maintenance Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 in Tutorials
    You can use Disk Cleanup on a regular basis to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your drives, which can free up drive space and help your PC run better. It can delete temporary files and system files, empty the Recycle Bin, and remove a...
    Hi, I am running low on space on my computer and I want to get rid of some stuff. However, the disk cleanup tools that I've tried will only get rid of 100Mb. Any suggestions?
    Performance & Maintenance Cleanup - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 in Tutorials
    How to Add Cleanup to Context Menu of Drives in Windows 10 You can use Disk Cleanup to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your drives, which can help your PC run faster. It can delete temporary files and system files, empty the Recycle...
    I use Advanced Disk Cleaner, free version on my Vista PC, but apparently they don't offer a Win10 v. I've heard that CC Clean (I think that's what it's called ) is a good one. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Windows Update Cleanup in Windows Updates and Activation
    Hi, everyone. Has anyone else noticed how slow Disk Cleanup has become if you choose 'Clean up system files' and select Windows Update Cleanup after a clean install of Windows 10? Just the Windows Update Cleanup part is slow - took about 20-25...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:51.
    Find Us