Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1.    27 Feb 2017 #41
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2,047
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    There's a free version :





    Macrium Reflect Free

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    27 Feb 2017 #42
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 125
    Windows 10 x64

    Yeah, I know. But if I go for it I prefer to have all options etc.





    Quote Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
    Hi,

    There's a free version :





    Macrium Reflect Free

    Cheers,
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Feb 2017 #43
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 577
    Win10 & Win7

    I just restored an image from 2017-01-14 to my Dell Inspiron laptop and tried creating a restore point and then restored form it. It was successful so whatever app update killed the restore point process happened after that date.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Feb 2017 #44
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 125
    Windows 10 x64

    True. It happened between 16 and 20 of February.


    Quote Originally Posted by SoFine409 View Post
    I just restored an image from 2017-01-14 to my Dell Inspiron laptop and tried creating a restore point and then restored form it. It was successful so whatever app update killed the restore point process happened after that date.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    27 Feb 2017 #45
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 577
    Win10 & Win7

    Quote Originally Posted by Win10usr View Post
    True. It happened between 16 and 20 of February.
    Right, I forgot that had already been said.
    FYI, this is not the first wonky app that MS has released. See: .Net Native Framework Package 1.2.23205.0 keeps updating from July, 2016.
    Eventually MS will fix it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Feb 2017 #46
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 125
    Windows 10 x64

    I think unfortunately it has nothing to do with one of the apps itself. I suspect the update system has a serious flaw. It might also be the reason why they halted February's patch Tuesday. But then they shouldn't have rolled out app updates in the same week also. First repair, then do I'd say.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoFine409 View Post
    Right, I forgot that had already been said.
    FYI, this is not the first wonky app that MS has released. See: .Net Native Framework Package 1.2.23205.0 keeps updating from July, 2016.
    Eventually MS will fix it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Feb 2017 #47

    Just for grins I ran a restore point create on my apparently healthy (no SFC nor DISM /checkhealth errors) 14393 production desktop. Here's what shows up in my Event Viewer right when I do that:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wcifs-warning.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	123099
    I haven't yet tried to restore the restore point (which reports a successful completion, BTW) but I won't be surprised if it fails with the error that others have reported in this thread. I have to take my son to school now, but when I get back I'll run it and report back.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    28 Feb 2017 #48
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 125
    Windows 10 x64

    Hi!

    I wouldn't risk a system restore in this situation, you might end up with an instable system after a partly or completely failed one! Just be very carefull...


    Quote Originally Posted by EdTittel View Post
    Just for grins I ran a restore point create on my apparently healthy (no SFC nor DISM /checkhealth errors) 14393 production desktop. Here's what shows up in my Event Viewer right when I do that:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wcifs-warning.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	123099
    I haven't yet tried to restore the restore point (which reports a successful completion, BTW) but I won't be surprised if it fails with the error that others have reported in this thread. I have to take my son to school now, but when I get back I'll run it and report back.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Feb 2017 #49

    I make nightly backups with Macrium Reflect, so I wasn't worried about a failed restore. In my experience MS is pretty good about making sure of roll-forward/roll-back recovery with restore -- that is, nothing left halfway between the previous state and the restored restore point state. And if the worst were to happen, this machine has the Macrium recovery partition in the boot menu so I could boot directly into that and restore last night's backup. That's why I proceeded to test the restore anyway. It reported a successful completion during the restore process, but here's what popped up on my screen following the restart:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	failed-restore.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	123101

    More or less as I'd expected, based on the error when creating the restore point reported in my previous post here, the restore itself also fails. I'm posting a long message to the Feedback Hub about this, and will also blog about it this morning. Bottom line: don't count on restore points to bail you out of a jam at present. Something is wrong, and needs repair.
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

    PS: I just checked the Event Viewer and it shows a restore error all right, but not the same one that others have been reporting here. Here's a screen cap of the error detail:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	restore-fail-msg.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	123102
    Next stop: Feedback Hub!
    Last edited by EdTittel; 28 Feb 2017 at 09:10. Reason: correct "repair' instead of "recovery"
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    28 Feb 2017 #50
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 125
    Windows 10 x64

    Ok, tnx for yet another confirmation!

    in case I switch to Macrium - which seems to be unavoidable - which partitions should be exactly backed up for making a system image? Win 10 always takes - as far as I remember - the C-partion with Windows (duh), EFI and Recovery. And can I restore an image WITHOUT destroying a seperate data partions on my HD?


    Quote Originally Posted by EdTittel View Post
    I make nightly backups with Macrium Reflect, so I wasn't worried about a failed restore. In my experience MS is pretty good about making sure of roll-forward/roll-back recovery with restore -- that is, nothing left halfway between the previous state and the restored restore point state. And if the worst were to happen, this machine has the Macrium recovery partition in the boot menu so I could boot directly into that and restore last night's backup. That's why I proceeded to test the restore anyway. It reported a successful completion during the restore process, but here's what popped up on my screen following the restart:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	failed-restore.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	123101

    More or less as I'd expected, based on the error when creating the restore point reported in my previous post here, the restore itself also fails. I'm posting a long message to the Feedback Hub about this, and will also blog about it this morning. Bottom line: don't count on restore points to bail you out of a jam at present. Something is wrong, and needs repair.
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

    PS: I just checked the Event Viewer and it shows a restore error all right, but not the same one that others have been reporting here. Here's a screen cap of the error detail:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	restore-fail-msg.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	123102
    Next stop: Feedback Hub!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Having problems reinstalling some software,WCIFS warning/error
Greets, Everything was running fine until Win10 decided to upgrade itself about two weeks ago. After the upgrade I tried to launch Jasc Paintshop Pro and after a spinning circle nothing happened. Tried launching it with different compatibility...
Software and Apps
Solved Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...
Hi all, Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but writting into this couldn't be done. So I format it to exfat format to get some data. When I...
Drivers and Hardware
Is Filter Manager Crashing my System w/o BSOD or Errors?
This has happened twice so far, both were the exact same scenario: I have a monitor and a TV, so I set the Extended display option so I can work on the monitor, but have Netflix up on the TV. When I'm done working, I'll just turn off the...
General Support
Hardware & Drivers Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10
How to Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10 Starting in Windows 10 version 1607, administrators and driver developers can use a registry setting to block legacy file system filter drivers. Legacy file system filter...
Tutorials
Event Viewer TDI filter warning
Hello, I am receiving this error in Event Viewer: A TDI filter (\Driver\adgnetworktdidrv) was detected. This filter has not been certified by Microsoft and may cause system instability. I'm not sure what this means. Is it something that can be...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:47.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums