Windows 10: How do I sort by foldername, then by file date

  1.    17 Feb 2017 #1

    How do I sort by foldername, then by file date


    Hello

    How do I sort my files in File Manager (in Windows 10 Pro x64) so that the folders are at the top, and then the files are in date last modified order.

    With thanks

    J
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,885
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       17 Feb 2017 #2

    ship69 said: View Post
    Hello

    How do I sort my files in File Manager (in Windows 10 Pro x64) so that the folders are at the top, and then the files are in date last modified order.

    With thanks

    J
    One option is to create a Library with your preference. Don't know why, but Libraries are sorted folders first and then by date (if you select by date of course..)

    Creating Library is simple... First make sure Libraries are shown (in file explorer in left tree right click on empty space and select New. Then you add folders.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	121616
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    17 Feb 2017 #3

    AndreTen said: View Post
    One option is to create a Library with your preference. Don't know why, but Libraries are sorted folders first and then by date (if you select by date of course..)

    Creating Library is simple... First make sure Libraries are shown (in file explorer in left tree right click on empty space and select New. Then you add folders.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	121616
    I only half-understand but it seems to have worked. So, how do I now apply that as the default sort order to ALL folders?
    Many thanks
    J
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,885
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       17 Feb 2017 #4

    ship69 said: View Post
    I only half-understand but it seems to have worked. So, how do I now apply that as the default sort order to ALL folders?
    Many thanks
    J
    I'm afraid it won't work for other folders. You can set frequently used folders as Libraries. Perhaps other geeks will have some idea...

    Kinda funny, I've always wanted to get rid of that view in Library
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    17 Feb 2017 #5

    AndreTen said: View Post
    I'm afraid it won't work for other folders. You can set frequently used folders as Libraries. Perhaps other geeks will have some idea...

    Kinda funny, I've always wanted to get rid of that view in Library
    Now I'm confused. In previous versions of Windows there used to be a way that you could set up a view to apply to all folders. Has that now gone?

    J
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 11,885
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       17 Feb 2017 #6

    ship69 said: View Post
    Now I'm confused. In previous versions of Windows there used to be a way that you could set up a view to apply to all folders. Has that now gone?

    J
    No, it's still here. But this isn't ordinary folder. This is Library view.

    About applying same view to folders (of different templates), there are tutorials by Brink.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
The column heading in Win 10 File Explorer is 'Date'. But which one? I've always been used in XP to the default being 'Date modified', but it seems that here it's Date created? Several re-saves have left 'Date' unchanged. 112393 -- Terry,...
Two questions:- 1. Does anyone know of a simple method to add titles, comments, or tags, to folders in Windows 10? There was something called HobComment that worked on XP but there does not appear to be a Win10 X64 version. 2. Is it possible...
Sort deleted emails by delete date in Browsers and Email
When you delete an email, it goes to the deleted email file and is sorted by the original date received. Is there a way to sort the deleted emails by the date they were deleted? Thanks Debby Durden
When I open file explorer and select certain folders, it opens in the alpha sort. When I go to sort on dates, it takes forever in Windows 10, and has pretty much since launch. Don't remember this on Win7. Are there any switches I could throw, or...
Every disk and/ or folder when I tick sort by name-ascending the damn thing reverts to date modified-descending if I leave said disk or folder and return. I tried "Enable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer.bat" and...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:28.
Find Us