Windows 10: Cortana and Search buttons not working
Cortana and Search buttons not working
Recently I noticed Cortana had failed to operate when I hit the button. Then I noticed that when I hit search, again nothing happened. I think these problems may be related.
Hi, the search bar (on your taskbar if you have it displayed there) is part of Cortana.
File explorer search is traditional Windows search.
Both make use of search indexing: Cortana file search only finds indexed files (and not exe files e.g.).
1. Do you have a system restore point you can use?
2. Have you already discovered the value of routinely using disk imaging, which we strongly and repeatedly recommend e.g. Macrium reflect (free) which allows you to restore an image of your previously working PC even if your disk fails.. without technical help? If so, you could restore an image.
3. Otherwise try re-registering Cortana:
Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10
- search for Cortana, and follow the instructions at the top of that section.
Sign out and sign in or restart your PC and see if the problem goes away.
Cannot get News app or cortana to work.
I have restarted the computer many times since the problem arose. I also refreshed Cortana through the power shell. Still no joy.
You can do an in-place upgrade repair install if you have no usable system restore points or disk or system images.
Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:
From an admin command prompt
[Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
chkdsk C: /F
Your PC will need to restart.
Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.
For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).
Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Tutorials
- this includes a link from which you can obtain a Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a Win 10 bootable medium.
I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
- for any future in-place upgrade repair install
- to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
- to clean install Windows
This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
- all/most associations will be unchanged
- all your programs will be left installed
- However: if you have installed some on a 2nd drive, these must be uninstalled or reinstalled on C: - else you will get an error message that you can not keep my apps because they arein an unsupported directory.
- no personal data should be affected
- you will lose any custom fonts
- you will lose any customised system icons
- you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
- you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
- Windows.old will be created
- system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
- you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
- inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
- if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.
Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
- preserve your system (and your sanity)
- back up your data
- restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time
Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.
Hey! Im new to this website so sorry if I do anything wrong,
so my problem is, when i try to click cortana nothing opens and when i try to search nothing happens as well. I'm just clicking keys and it doesn't search. Any idea how I can fix this?...
I was hoping I can get some advise here. Previously I posted it on Technet but no one answer.
I have just upgraded 50 and more of my users to Windows 10 build 10586, and I realize that some of their search and Windows button are not...
my searchbar/cortana has suddenly stopped working, when I click I get a message telling me there is a problem, please sign out.
so I googled the problem
I ran the systen file checker which reported a problem and said it was fixed, problem still...
Hoping this is the right board. A guy in my office just upgraded to windows 10 and it looks completely different from other installations I've seen. The start button isn't the 4 equally-sized rectangles, the top left one is hollow and bigger than...
My Cortana/Search feature does not work at all. i click it and it just kinda highlights it and i cannot type into it. i rely on this quite a bit any ideas?