Windows 10: Persistent OS errors even after clean install dtdll.dll svchost, etc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    11 Feb 2017 #1

    Persistent OS errors even after clean install dtdll.dll svchost, etc


    Please, for the love of god please help me. I'm $2000 deep in this computer with $1000 in my monitors and this is honestly starting to really stress me out as I cannot pinpoint the reason for which I am getting errors.
    (Important error is about 1/2 way down)

    This PC is about 1 month 3 weeks old, It was built professionally with new parts.

    This computer has just had persistent software problems many of which leading back to the Operating system. I cannot for the life of me figure out any of these. At first I was noticing that I was getting very regular logs of "Microsoftedge.exe stopped working" in Reliability Monitor. That of which I eventually pinpointed to having a corrupt windows store cache or license.
    The issue there persisted after 4-5 fresh installs. One was done at Frys with windows installation media and SDI for drivers. Second time was done AT THE MICROSOFT STORE, and SDI for drivers. The third time I decided to try it myself as I suspected it was possibly the SDI driver utility that was causing that problem.
    I ran in to the same issue immediately, I installed my drivers manually. I even tried not installing my drivers and just letting windows run its own course. I tried it with and without a Microsoft account, tried it with my old one and a new account.
    Tried all the SFC/ DISM, etc scans. If a fresh install can't fix it I don't know what will.

    The corrupt store cache and licenses I am not extremely concerned about, for whatever reason its on my brand new laptop too. I don't notice any performance issues when the errors are logged, Reliability monitor will say Microsoft edge stopped working but I'll be using it fine. It seems to affect applications connected to the Windows store in some way.

    Now the problem that I have just recently been experiencing, I am honestly so frustrated at this point, I've spent hours upon hours regularly diagnosing errors on this PC ever since I got it, its a curse.
    Today I received my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW which was an upgrade from my EVGA 1070 FTW.

    I followed all the precautions of installing a new graphics card. I used DDU and uninstalled the old drivers through safe mode. I went and reset the settings on MSI afterburner and I removed MSI afterburner and chose to not keep settings.
    I powered off the PC, turned off the power supply and unplugged the PSU. I discharged static onto a metal surface and put on latex disposable gloves.
    I removed the old GPU and inserted the new GPU. Booted up and installed the drivers.

    Everything seemed to work fine. But I checked reliability history (I've been a bit paranoid...) and sure enough it showed an error. It showed that Windows Image Acquisition had stopped working. Now I know this is more or less also tied to my printer, but my printer had been working fine before. The WIA stopped working would maybe happen once every few weeks before which was fine. This time every time the PC was rebooted it would show the WIA stopped responding error.
    I've tried all the fixes, none of them worked. I even tried restoring my system to two days before, that didn't fix it either.
    THEN I clean installed windows 10... still the same errors. I figured why not remove the graphics card and reinstall windows 10... same... errors.

    I'm concerned before the faulting module was not a canon driver or something of that sort but dtdll.dll that caused Svchost_stvic to crash which subsequently caused WIA to crash.
    If I go into services.msc and try to start WIA again I will get an error code of 1607 that says I cannot start it up.

    I'm so confused.

    Also, upon the fresh install looking in Event Viewer there are lots and lots of errors. Within 15 minutes of my last fresh install there were 105 errors and 104 warnings. Many of which showed driver installation failures or processes not working...

    There was a lot to read there, I really apologize! But I'm really out of ideas on what I should do, I'm honestly getting really anxious trying to fix this thing.
    I'm a college student so all these expensive parts took a while to gather...

    I'm suspecting its possibly my motherboard? Maybe? I don't even know what to think anymore. Originally this system was running an i5 6600k, I upgraded to an i7 6700k. Now I upgraded from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1080. The only other thing I can think of is the motherboard!
    I've been reusing this Windows key though, could that somehow be causing some kind of problem?

    It is not fake, nor is it OEM, I have the windows 10 box with the paper key and the little install disk sitting next to me. I know these should be reusable.

    Please, any pointers anywhere would be appreciated. I am so frustrated right now. I don't know whats wrong with my system and who/ what part is at fault....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,044
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1703
       11 Feb 2017 #2

    Welcome to the TenForums @Wooohah.

    Lets start with the basics, what BIOS version are you running. Latest is V3007 from December. Not saying to update but it would be interesting as there have been two listed from July as system stability releases. Updating BIOS contains a definite level of risk and can result in a "Bricked" machine. (Bricked meaning dead.)

    As part of the build did they advise you of any BIOS customizations they applied? Did they apply any? Might be worth printing manual pages and then cross checking noting differences from default. If something is not default it would be good to understand why.

    I would then load BIOS defaults, save, boot and re-enter BIOS. Apply your customizations, save and boot. Your machine should be able to run on defaults but things like secured boot will be enabled. I mention as clean install or memory tests will need you to adjust. (Starts at page 3-53 of your manual.)

    When your device was built did they perform any kind of burn in testing. Particularly around memory. Usually with memory errors you get full on BSOD's but you may as well check. It is part of a good build.

    MemTest86+ - Test RAM

    Next let's run chkdsk on all storage devices, they should run clean.

    I would get a fresh copy of Windows and perform the install. As part of install, I would delete any existing system partitions and allow windows to create as part of install. (I assume your data is not on device yet.) Disconnect any add on storage and USB devices not needed.

    Windows 10 - Clean Install

    Notice warnings about disabling fast boot and secure boot in tutorial.

    Before doing this I would create a system Image to at least get back to where you are now should something go wrong.

    Please check out Macrium Reflect as an Imaging tool. It is recommended and used by members on this forum. It is free, reliable and a fast way to restore to a working system.
    Macrium Reflect - Backup and Restore

    Assuming you accept this advise and Windows is up, take another Image. Perform updates.

    Assuming things are still going well I would use the "Driver verify" process.

    This tutorial will guide you through the verification process, heed the warnings. Assuming it fails follow the posting instruction in the BSOD section of forum. If you want you can also update specific drivers and retest.
    Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable in Windows 10


    This is how I would approach. Others may have other validation steps to ensure system (the whole package) is working. Obviously there is risk in this whole process outlined above, only perform if you feel comfortable. Otherwise return to those that built and say "Fix it". I assumed they charged you and there should be warranty.

    Good luck. Post back progress. Tons of very smart people on this forum.


    Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    11 Feb 2017 #3

    Make sure you upgrade Windows fully through Windows Update and the Store.

    I did a clean install yesterday on a new SSD and all apps started crashing, key didn't work and I was getting so many hundreds of windows.storage.dll errors that the whole system would freeze after a few seconds except in safe mode. Once all the updates were done (through safe mode with networking) all the problems went away.

    Not saying it will help in your case but it is worth a try.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Feb 2017 #4

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Welcome to the TenForums @Wooohah.

    Lets start with the basics, what BIOS version are you running. Latest is V3007 from December. Not saying to update but it would be interesting as there have been two listed from July as system stability releases. Updating BIOS contains a definite level of risk and can result in a "Bricked" machine. (Bricked meaning dead.)

    As part of the build did they advise you of any BIOS customizations they applied? Did they apply any? Might be worth printing manual pages and then cross checking noting differences from default. If something is not default it would be good to understand why.

    I would then load BIOS defaults, save, boot and re-enter BIOS. Apply your customizations, save and boot. Your machine should be able to run on defaults but things like secured boot will be enabled. I mention as clean install or memory tests will need you to adjust. (Starts at page 3-53 of your manual.)

    When your device was built did they perform any kind of burn in testing. Particularly around memory. Usually with memory errors you get full on BSOD's but you may as well check. It is part of a good build.

    MemTest86+ - Test RAM

    Next let's run chkdsk on all storage devices, they should run clean.

    I would get a fresh copy of Windows and perform the install. As part of install, I would delete any existing system partitions and allow windows to create as part of install. (I assume your data is not on device yet.) Disconnect any add on storage and USB devices not needed.

    Windows 10 - Clean Install

    Notice warnings about disabling fast boot and secure boot in tutorial.

    Before doing this I would create a system Image to at least get back to where you are now should something go wrong.

    Please check out Macrium Reflect as an Imaging tool. It is recommended and used by members on this forum. It is free, reliable and a fast way to restore to a working system.
    Macrium Reflect - Backup and Restore

    Assuming you accept this advise and Windows is up, take another Image. Perform updates.

    Assuming things are still going well I would use the "Driver verify" process.

    This tutorial will guide you through the verification process, heed the warnings. Assuming it fails follow the posting instruction in the BSOD section of forum. If you want you can also update specific drivers and retest.
    Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable in Windows 10


    This is how I would approach. Others may have other validation steps to ensure system (the whole package) is working. Obviously there is risk in this whole process outlined above, only perform if you feel comfortable. Otherwise return to those that built and say "Fix it". I assumed they charged you and there should be warranty.

    Good luck. Post back progress. Tons of very smart people on this forum.


    Ken
    Thanks for the reply Ken! I appreciate it.

    So I am on VBIOS 3007, the system originally came with BIOS 1907 I believe. BIOS was the very last thing I tried updating through my various troubleshooting.
    There should have been no BIOS customization at all, it should've all been running at default with the drive orders arranged.
    I've tried updating BIOS and loading defaults, apart from that I do nothing.
    Normally I really try not to mess with anything in BIOS unless I know what it is, the only things I touch in BIOS are updating/ reinstalling (if I need) and drive boot order.

    I've already performed clean installs with recently created Win 10 ISO's through the Windows Media Creation Tool. Whenever I reinstall the system I always make sure to turn off fastboot, perform a shutdown of the system, restart and then shut down again.
    Afterwards I unplug all the drives apart from my OS drive, plug in the Windows 10 installation USB and boot into BIOS. Then I reconfigure the boot order for the installation media to be first then save and continue. Afterwards I go through and delete all the partitions on my drive until it is one single empty drive of which I then install Windows onto. Then I just run through the steps of installation.
    After installing I always make sure to manually install my drivers, I go from Chipset - MEI - Graphics - Audio - Lan - RST (Restarting when prompted). I've even tried just not installing those drivers and troubleshooting... same thing happens.

    I haven't been creating backups, as this problem came with the computer when it was installed, The only backups I keep are mainly some files and pictures of which I have backed up onto a removable storage device.

    Now that I remember I do recall my system has encountered random restarts. This happened once on this fresh install and once on my last. But they did happen rather early from when Windows was installed so I assumed it was update related. Although... it did not indicate to me it was update related. It just randomly went into the blue "restarting" screen with the spinning loading icon and the system rebooted. It did NOT just go black and restart (which would've been a lot more concerning).

    I'll run Chkdsk and Memtest and report back!

    I don't believe Frys did a burn in process, I don't think so :/ I went to them within my 30 days of Warranty but they said they don't fix software issues, they did do a free hardware diagnostics for me and they said it showed no issues...

    Thank you! Ill be back shortly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Feb 2017 #5

    lx07 said: View Post
    Make sure you upgrade Windows fully through Windows Update and the Store.

    I did a clean install yesterday on a new SSD and all apps started crashing, key didn't work and I was getting so many hundreds of windows.storage.dll errors that the whole system would freeze after a few seconds except in safe mode. Once all the updates were done (through safe mode with networking) all the problems went away.

    Not saying it will help in your case but it is worth a try.
    After fresh installs I do usually leave on my computer overnight for about a day, it'll give it time to install all the updates. But the problems do persist after these updates are installed.
    I went into the windows store and pressed "check update" for all of them and it did show nothing.
    I went into windows update on the computer and checked update and there was also nothing...

    I made sure to check my OS version and build to the latest recommended ones by Microsoft and it also checked out....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    13 Feb 2017 #6

    Is it normal to have hundreds of Errors/ Warnings in the Event Viewer after a clean install?
    Its showing an awfully large amount of errors after a clean install and installation of drivers.

    I know some errors are normal but there's just so many and its concerning...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Feb 2017 #7

    I just performed Chkdsk, It didn't really show any results... It just said "Scanning and repairing Drive C:"
    Although... upon booting up on the lockscreen I experienced a small freeze when I pressed space to log in.
    It became unresponsive for about 15 seconds...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Feb 2017 #8

    Wooohah said: View Post
    Is it normal to have hundreds of Errors/ Warnings in the Event Viewer after a clean install...
    Yes it is.

    I bought a new laptop (actually an old one off ebay), did a clean install and it had hardly any. I just checked and in the last 5 days (since I got it) I've got only 164 errors (and 400 warnings and 11,747 information messages)

    I also bought a new SSD for my 2006 MacBook and did a clean install of windows 10 on that and it had literally thousands of errors per hour. So many it ground to a halt.

    I would not worry about it. Wait an see if something isn't working. Chasing errors about DCOM not being authorized to something or other may be fun but it is pointless if your PC is working.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,044
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1703
       13 Feb 2017 #9

    I agree with lx07, it is okay to see errors but I'm not sure I would agree that hundreds on a clean install is normal. lx07 took five days to get 164. How many are you getting over what time period.

    I've been reading what you posted, it seems to have got to me late, that I have to report.

    Windows 10 is a pretty robust install. Now normally I would do what you do, that is get OS in and then install drivers. Now I do the install and check the drivers. Has the device been recognized correctly, is there a recent driver for same. Are any devices flagged. Now there is some software that comes with Motherboards that may be required.

    Interested in other members approach to installing clean.

    I would try doing an clean install, then performing the updates. Check device managers and see where you are.

    There is a driver verify process within the forums. Give it a test spin.

    As to the errors you may have group and address.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,865
    Windows 10.4 Home 1709 x64
       13 Feb 2017 #10

    Wooohah said: View Post
    I just performed Chkdsk, It didn't really show any results... It just said "Scanning and repairing Drive C:"
    Actually that is concerning, under normal circumstances, it should not repair anything, just perform a scan.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I have just clean installed Windows 10 14393 and event viewer is showing 367 errors and warnings and one critical event. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
I can't find my specific install problem on the forum, so here is the problem: I have a 4 core 64 bit HP laptop (pavilion) with a Radeon graphics card and 16 gig of ram. I installed W10 over W7 from the laptop microsoft link when the free...
Persistent activation errors with Win10 pro in Windows Updates and Activation
I originally upgraded from 7 (licence obtained through msdn), and got my first 'activate windows error 2 weeks later). Called ms and got a confirmation I'd, which entered fine and worked for another few days, until I. Got the activation error again....
Solved 'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install in Performance & Maintenance
I decided to run 'SFC /scannow' on my recent clean install of Windows 10 and was surprised that it reported so many errors that cannot be repaired. I installed on a 256GB Samsung Pro SSD. After trying a few recommended fixes that all failed I...
Clean Install Errors - Bad SSD? in Installation and Upgrade
Was using computer like any other day and it became unresponsive. Music was still playing normally but nothing would respond. Couldn't even use CTRL+ALT+DEL. So I turned computer off. Restart wanted to do a 'Startup Repair', that seemed unresponsive...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:55.
Find Us