Windows 10: Cortana starts some programs, not others?
Cortana starts some programs, not others?
Not a huge issue, but I was wondering if there was a way to get Cortana to be more consistent at starting programs? At present she will start some with no problem, but others will either display a Web search page or do nothing?
As an example, I use "Cool Reader" to read epubs on my PC, but Cortana when asked will say she is opening the program, but will display a Web search page instead?
Is this a general problem with Cortana? If so, is there a way to get better recognition?
You can focus Cortana on programs (Apps here = both desktop programs and universal apps) by selecting Apps using More at the top of Cortana's box.
This isn't terribly convenient.
To be honest, Classic Shell start menu (free) and its customisable search box does a far better job.
My search window is different from yours. At the bottom left you have the circular search icon whilst I have the the four widowlets, and "Filters" at the top right. Do you know why? (My Windows 10: Version 1907, 14393.693)
Also, I never add the "Apps:" when searching. What is the advantage of adding it?
1. I am using Classic Shell as my start menu. Using that I have chosen to use a custom Win 7 Orb, taken from an Win 7 icon pack for Win 10. That is my start button.
If I quit Classic Shell, my start button is the normal Win 10 one as yours.
2. I don't know why mine shows More, and yours Filters. Mine is UK English.
3. When you start Cortana's search by typing in the box, it may offer results from the web mixed with results from the Windows search indexed files including the start menu.
4. The filters (More) let you specify what sort of results you want: docs, music, web, apps... as you can see if you look there.
5. You said your problem was it didn't offer you all the results you expected from the start menu.
Therefore it makes sense to try telling Cortana to focus exclusively on results from the start menu.
6. However I recall a thread where a user was adding shortcuts to the start menu but Cortana didn't find them, even though the search index was incremented.
So it depends what your actual problem is.
Can you tell me if using the apps filter finds what you hope it will find, and confirm that what you are looking for is shown as a shortcut in the start menu?
The frustration level is through the roof. I already formatted my system once after the anniversary update ruined it and it's happened again.
Had a bunch of automatic updates in December and the number of things that broke is staggering.
So apparently after a recent "update" (let it be known I don't like the Win 10 lack of update control)
The Start opens slowly (click once and wait 2 seconds),
Search (Magnifying Glass) does not launch and
Cortana from the...
Just noticed when I was about to upgrade one of my applications by starting to uninstall the current version that it wasn't no longer in the list of installed programs and lots of other programs are gone too.
Did some Google searching for this...
I'm trying to use Curse ( a chat program very much like Skype) with my friends so we can all play and talk to each other. Unfortunately, whenever I'm in a call, all programs except the chat program are muted. This is very frustrating for games where...
after upgrading from Win7 Ultimate with Office 2007 to Won10 pro, every time I star Excel or Word or PowerPoint the Windows Installer screen appears and then asks for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition.ENU disk.