Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    01 Feb 2017 #11
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 14
    10x64
    Thread Starter

    Many things to reply to. Yes, I use Everything most of the time. Yet content search is vital for me and I use it often too. Settings search works, and rather fast (not instantaneous). And I'm trying to keep untrustworthy thirdparty software to a minimum.

    Privacy settings: I've set to share everyting with M$FT and didn't change a thing since first boot. And I haven't used any "tweaking" program that might've changed anyting (other than maybe HP preinstalled software, but that's bare too).

    Indexing with a modern SSD is unnoticeable. Yet it brings big productivity gains when it works.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_02_01_12_31_193.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	119357

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_02_01_12_30_382.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	119356



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_02_01_12_29_001.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	119355

    Everything I might search for is under \Users
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    01 Feb 2017 #12
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,030
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    That all looks ok. Have you tried a clean boot? you mentioned search seemed to work ok initially after logging in.

    Check if the Windows search service is running. (E.g. Windows key + R, services.msc). (But it does appear to start again automatically if stopped- see below for significance)

    ** Look what I get if I
    a. Stop Windows search service
    b. Try to find something I didn't try to find before I disabled the search
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	119361
    N.B. finding sthg successfully, then disabling the search, then finding the same thing succeeds, so don't do that.

    I also found that having disabled windows search, even restarting it and restarting left me with the same problem. So now I'm rebuilding the index.

    That could be a good clue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Feb 2017 #13
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 14
    10x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    That all looks ok. Have you tried a clean boot? you mentioned search seemed to work ok initially after logging in.

    Check if the Windows search service is running. (E.g. Windows key + R, services.msc). (But it does appear to start again automatically if stopped- see below for significance)

    ** Look what I get if I
    a. Stop Windows search service
    b. Try to find something I didn't try to find before I disabled the search
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	119361
    N.B. finding sthg successfully, then disabling the search, then finding the same thing succeeds, so don't do that.

    I also found that having disabled windows search, even restarting it and restarting left me with the same problem. So now I'm rebuilding the index.

    That could be a good clue.
    I don't think that rebuilding the index once more will help. After all, for a brief few seconds after start I see the results, so the index is ok.

    The service is up and running. Restarting it brings back the results for a few seconds (<5s).

    I've disabled every startup item and the problem persists, so it's Windows.

    I do get three of the following errors in the Event log.


    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919} and APPID {F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169} to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.


    A quick search for the first GUID on Google points to it being Cortana (and thus search) related, but I haven't had yet the time to investigate it fully. Just wanted to let you know.

    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Feb 2017 #14
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,030
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    I don't think that rebuilding the index once more will help. After all, for a brief few seconds after start I see the results, so the index is ok.
    I wasn't suggesting rebuilding the index just for the sake of it.. but that an interruption to Windows search service reproduces your error message. Only if there were no interruption to the service would rebuilding be necessary to restore search properly. The signficant thing there was the effect of one interruption.

    However your problem could well be sthg else.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Feb 2017 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 14
    10x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    I wasn't suggesting rebuilding the index just for the sake of it.. but that an interruption to Windows search service reproduces your error message. Only if there were no interruption to the service would rebuilding be necessary to restore search properly. The signficant thing there was the effect of one interruption.

    However your problem could well be sthg else.
    Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.

    I just did this: Windows 10 Event 10016 Fix: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276} to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.I a – Quarter Five – Thoughts and Solutions for every CLSID and AppID yielding an error in the Event Viewer and owned by the TrustedInstaller. It still doesn't work.

    Windows 10 is crap.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    02 Feb 2017 #16
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,030
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    As I've not seen a report quite like yours, I would say your experience of this is comparatively unusual; to conclude the OS is rubbish is premature. But because MS allows much of its OS to be overwritten by users and programs, it's open to all manner of things.

    However, it has very definite weaknesses- I avoid Win 10's start menu, Cortana, and universal apps.
    ========================

    Unfortunately you can't run search in Safe Mode. As you say you do see search results immediately after logging in, this suggests an effect of sthg you've installed. Have you done a clean boot using msconfig?

    Beyond that, I suggest you either
    a. uninstall programs progressively and retry search each time
    or
    b. reinstall Win 10, check search is working.
    - Create a disk image so you can readily restore that state.
    - install programs one by one, check search, update your disk image until you find what's corrupting search.

    That's the simplistic logical do-able approach.

    Otherwise it's a matter of trying to analyse what's happening. If some program or service running is corrupting search in some fashion after logging on, it won't be fixable after the event.

    Someone else may be able to suggest a better way forward.

    The routine use of disk imaging is something we very strongly recommend in any case- can be a great timesaver.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    02 Feb 2017 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 14
    10x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    As I've not seen a report quite like yours, I would say your experience of this is comparatively unusual; to conclude the OS is rubbish is premature. But because MS allows much of its OS to be overwritten by users and programs, it's open to all manner of things.

    However, it has very definite weaknesses- I avoid Win 10's start menu, Cortana, and universal apps.
    ========================

    Unfortunately you can't run search in Safe Mode. As you say you do see search results immediately after logging in, this suggests an effect of sthg you've installed. Have you done a clean boot using msconfig?

    Beyond that, I suggest you either
    a. uninstall programs progressively and retry search each time
    or
    b. reinstall Win 10, check search is working.
    - Create a disk image so you can readily restore that state.
    - install programs one by one, check search, update your disk image until you find what's corrupting search.

    That's the simplistic logical do-able approach.

    Otherwise it's a matter of trying to analyse what's happening. If some program or service running is corrupting search in some fashion after logging on, it won't be fixable after the event.

    Someone else may be able to suggest a better way forward.

    The routine use of disk imaging is something we very strongly recommend in any case- can be a great timesaver.
    Thanks, I'll see what can I do...
    Which of the options do you mean, selective or diagnostic?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_02_02_15_28_201.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	119520
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    02 Feb 2017 #18
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,030
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    You could try a diagnostic startup, but I'm guessing Windows search might not be started. And it seems starting after logging in might require rebuilding the index based on my comment above.. (I just don't know at that level of detail).

    So try selective startup first, make sure Windows search is running and see what happens.

    The idea is to get back as far as possible from where you are to having nothing you've installed running.
    If you want to go that far, try Sysinternals Autoruns (free, from MS) - can be very handy. Run as admin.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Broken search, possibly language related? Cortana incomplete results.
Little help required, because I feel like i've done my fair share of searching what I thought I could fix origianlly.... My search is broken, saying the results may be incomplete, cortana isnt particularly helpful! I've tried rebuilding the...
General Support
W10 Search Broken - These results may be incomplete
Hi. I recently performed a clean upgrade from a clean 8.1 Install of Windows Pro. It's connected to a domain and uses Folder Redirection. The search function finds NO programs or start menu shortcuts, desktop etc. When I click the start...
General Support
Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete"
When I "search my stuff" from the start menu, some files that I know to be indexed never show up in the results. And at the top of the search window, it reads: "These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff." I've rebuilt...
General Support
Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results
This is referring to the blue "Search Everywhere" panel that slides out from the right, not Cortana or the Start Menu search box. When I type into it, it'll list my local files on the top, then web results underneath. Clicking any listed local...
General Support
No Google Drive files in Windows search results
I am also asking this question on the Google Product Forums. Basically, the Google Drive folder is synced onto my data partition. Files are present on my HDD, the whole folder is indexed, but nothing inside it comes up in my Windows search...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums