Windows 10: Start Menu and Cortanna will not open

  1.    01 Jul 2015 #1

    Start Menu and Cortanna will not open


    After going throw the activation process with Cortana, I found it impossible to open the start menu or use Cortana's search function.

    Ironically, I was hear earlier about to submit this thread when it all decided to work... I closed the web browser and it worked for around 10s... then it decided to break again. My thread was lost :/

    So, I have tried everything to get this to work. I've tried various pieces of code in Powershell, I've tried restarting Explorer.exe, I've tried finding the SearchUI service but I can't find it. It seems to have been merged, or it instantly closes itself on-click or on boot.

    I also recieved a message telling me that to save any data lost, I need to sign out. It told me something along these lines "The Start Menu and Cortanas infastructure have ran into a problem. You must restart now to ensure you don't lose any data." It then showed the "Sign out" button, which I clicked, logged in and everything seems fine now, apart from this consistent problem.

    So, any fixes are welcome
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Jul 2015 #2

    For first problem, create a new MS Account via Settings (since you can't open Start, you gotta go Control Panel>User Accounts>change in PC Settings. Add a new email (one that already exists), restart, then login to new account. Don't touch desktop for 2-3 minutes, let it initilize completly. Then Start/Cortana should work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    01 Jul 2015 #3

    bromanbro said: View Post
    For first problem, create a new MS Account via Settings (since you can't open Start, you gotta go Control Panel>User Accounts>change in PC Settings. Add a new email (one that already exists), restart, then login to new account. Don't touch desktop for 2-3 minutes, let it initilize completly. Then Start/Cortana should work.
    Then can switch back and it will work on my other account?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    01 Jul 2015 #4

    GXP10 said: View Post
    Then can switch back and it will work on my other account?
    mm, don't know . Give it a try and see if it works for you first. It worked for me, but maybe I got lucky, or had a different issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Jul 2015 #5

    bromanbro said: View Post
    mm, don't know . Give it a try and see if it works for you first. It worked for me, but maybe I got lucky, or had a different issue.
    Well it worked for the new E-mail but it didn't work when I switched back :/

    Also, my Download for preview build "10150"(?) is stuck because of a defender update which won't resolve either. I think my preview build is totally fuc.... Imgur /// Imgur

    I'll just have to hope this updates works properly....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Aug 2015 #6

    Start PowerShell > execute the following:
    Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Then Restart
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    06 Aug 2015 #7

    I tried the above, but it does not work. It just sits there for hours on the first xml file as below:

    Deployment operation progress: ....
    Initialized

    I think that is part of the problem as when the Win10 install was initialising my account, it took ages and said it was taking longer than usual. I think there's some deeper problem with Get-AppXPackage not working as expected.

    This works however, to print out the individual commands that would be run by the job:
    Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Write-Output "Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register ""$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"""}
    Last edited by dcam; 06 Aug 2015 at 19:45.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    07 Aug 2015 #8

    I eventually got it working... it seems that powershell needed to be run as administrator with the -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted option, which can be done from task manager's File/Run new task
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Basic AND pro (2 PC's)
       20 Apr 2016 #9

    Thanks!


    dcam said: View Post
    I tried the above, but it does not work. It just sits there for hours on the first xml file as below:

    Deployment operation progress: ....
    Initialized

    I think that is part of the problem as when the Win10 install was initialising my account, it took ages and said it was taking longer than usual. I think there's some deeper problem with Get-AppXPackage not working as expected.

    This works however, to print out the individual commands that would be run by the job:
    Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Write-Output "Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register ""$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"""}
    While my issue is not on my listed PC it is on my Laptop (MSI Dominator Pro60GT) I'm extremely hesitant to re-install Windows due to last time I tried my Soft touch buttons (Fan speed, Back lit keyboard control, Airplane mode, and other useful quick access features became unusable. I had to uninstall, wipe the hard drive completely, Re-install windows 8, Add all functions and features and then reinstall 10. Tedious task for something as small as a broken start bar... I tend to run into this problem at least 3-4 times a month and for some reason my powershell never initialized. However having it execute it one by one was a life saver! My start bar works again! Hopefully it's a good fix... if not well I'll rage quite my laptop LOL
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Open and Use All apps in Windows 10 Start menu All apps in the Start menu displays an alphabetical list of all your installed Windows apps and desktop apps in Windows 10. Some of these apps are grouped into folders with the folder name in...
Brand new windows, brand new problems. Hello, today i upgraded to Windows 10 Home, from windwos 7 home premium. And now i can't open start menu... Also there is no windows update? Is there windows update in windows 10 or is my issue again? I tried...
Hi All I'm running Win 10 Build 10162 and Running Chrome Version 43.0.2357.132 m. When I run Chrome the start menu doesn't open and makes life a living hell. Does anyone have a solution for this issue? I know it's a technical preview and I should...
Build 10074 Up til late yesterday evening, Windows was working fine. I week ago I decided to play Elder Scrolls Skyrim and got sucked into the never-ending void of modding the game. At some point the game crashed/Froze my system so I had to...
well even one build ago (im now on windows build 10051) after a while the start menu wont open and the new search also wont open. i cant even check id modern apps work because powershell is giving me a error. im running sfc /scannow atm so ill...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:32.
Find Us