Windows 10: Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 versus Windows 7

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1.    04 Jul 2015 #81

    Windows said: View Post
    I take back what I said, initially, about Windows 8.1. I have just installed it on my main PC as a dual boot with Windows 7 to assess its true performance (instead of installing it on a Virtual Machine only). I've also installed the Classic Shell program and I have undertaken a few other interface modifications to make it feel more familiar. In essence, I now believe that it's definitely superior to Windows 7 in terms of operational functionality; moreover, I actually prefer the user interface, too. I'm a convert!
    That a boy...lol (no but really, I like v8.1 - A LOT). I'm perfectly content with slamming Windows 10 mind you. But I think 8.1 has flwon underneath the radar. I'm a former hater of the OS too, until I repaired my friend's PC with 8.1. Then I ran the evaluation on a VM. Now I'm sold.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 30,967
    Dual boot Windows 10 Pro x 64 CU build 15063 & Insider Build 16273
       04 Jul 2015 #82

    Windows said: View Post
    In essence, I now believe that it's definitely superior to Windows 7 in terms of operational functionality; moreover, I actually prefer the user interface, too.
    Do you mean the true UI without Classic Shell?

    I'm a convert!
    What took you so long? Lol.

    All kidding aside, it's good to see people converting over. It is a great OS.
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 05 Jul 2015 at 00:01.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    04 Jul 2015 #83

    Mystere said: View Post
    That market is largely to the DJ industry. I know of only one place in my state to buy LP's. And most of their sales are used.



    Where? Best Buy no longer sells CD's. They used to be the #1 retailer of them. I walked through my local mall the other day, and I noticed that all the big name music places are either out of business, or not selling CD's anymore.

    I don't know of anywhere, other than used cd places, that still carry them. They must buy them online I suppose...
    I live in Portland, Oregon... This town is retro, retro, retro, we have several vinyl record stores, Walmart or our local Fred Meyer (part of the Kroger group) have DVD's and CD's and our Powell's books is world renowned. And CD's? what are you talking about? You can buy them on Amazon, Google, iTunes, in addition to the above I mentioned. My goodness, where is it that you live? You must not be an audio/video type person.

    Mystere said: View Post
    In reality, you need to be thankful for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. You should count your lucky stars Microsoft is still committed to Desktop OS's. The alternative, based on the way the market is going, would be to totally ignore Desktop OS's and focus on mobile. The fact that Microsoft is dragging Desktops into a unified ecosystem is a good thing, because the alternative would be that the desktop OS would stagnate and nothing new would happen.

    As for this part, Really? You act like no one else provides a desktop interface, I don't see Linux or OSX going away any time soon. Your loyalty to Microsoft is understandable, but there really are other options. As for a unified ecosystem Ubuntu has been doing this for years, I just don't see Microsoft dragging us anywhere, other than trying to keep up.


    Last edited by Trust_No1; 05 Jul 2015 at 00:09.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter
       05 Jul 2015 #84

    HippsieGypsie, indeed, it took me a while! After I tested Windows 8.1 properly (not just on a Virtual Machine), it became abundantly clear that it is greatly superior to Windows 7 in every aspect except for some of the user interface (UI) designs, such as Aero. I cannot believe how fast Windows 8.1 boots up on my PC; it literally loads to the Windows Desktop in two seconds. The power off, "Shut Down" procedure is completed at an equally amazing pace.

    As regards my comment about the UI, I like certain aspects of the Windows 8.1 UI better than Windows 7, such as the smoother Taskbar. However, I really needed to customise the setup to feel comfortable with it, so I installed Classic Shell and Aero Glass 8.1. Now, it feels extremely familiar and almost identical to Windows 7 in terms of the UI, but with amazingly improved system performance; I am extremely pleased with Windows 8.1!

    Here is a screenshot of what my Windows 8.1 Desktop looks like after undertaking the aforementioned customisations.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows_8.1_Desktop.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	23395
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jul 2015 #85

    @Windows ,

    I'm happy that you're enjoying Win8.1. I've found it to be a very good OS. And with Classic Shell it's just about perfect. IMO. A nice zippy stable OS is always fun to use.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter
       05 Jul 2015 #86

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    @Windows ,

    I'm happy that you're enjoying Win8.1. I've found it to be a very good OS. And with Classic Shell it's just about perfect. IMO. A nice zippy stable OS is always fun to use.

    Jeff
    Cheers Jeff. Do you think you will stick with Windows 8.1 or do you plan to upgrade to Windows 10 in the future? I apologise in advance if you have already addressed this question.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Jul 2015 #87

    Windows said: View Post
    Cheers Jeff. Do you think you will stick with Windows 8.1 or do you plan to upgrade to Windows 10 in the future? I apologise in advance if you have already addressed this question.
    I'm going to upgrade. So far I really like Win10 and the latest build is perfect, for me. What my plan is as follows:
    1 Replace a dying mother board
    2 Install Win8.1
    3 Drop out of the insider program and upgrade to the RTM/GA on or about the 29th.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter
       05 Jul 2015 #88

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I'm going to upgrade. So far I really like Win10 and the latest build is perfect, for me. What my plan is as follows:
    1 Replace a dying mother board
    2 Install Win8.1
    3 Drop out of the insider program and upgrade to the RTM/GA on or about the 29th.

    Jeff
    Thanks for the information, Jeff. I have one extra question, if you don't mind. I assume that you're an accomplished Windows 8.1 user. In your experience, what practical benefits does Windows 10 offer over Windows 8.1? Do you see any improved system performance? From the evaluations on Windows 10 that I have conducted thus far, I am not overly impressed with Windows 10, to be honest; I stated "strongly dislike" in my original post on this thread, which I think was somewhat of an overstatement. All of my evaluations of Windows 10 have been conducted on a Virtual Machine, so my tests have, by no means, been comprehensive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    05 Jul 2015 #89

    Windows said: View Post
    Thanks for the information, Jeff. I have one extra question, if you don't mind. I assume that you're an accomplished Windows 8.1 user. In your experience, what practical benefits does Windows 10 offer over Windows 8.1? Do you see any improved system performance? From the evaluations on Windows 10 that I have conducted thus far, I am not overly impressed with Windows 10, to be honest; I stated "strongly dislike" in my original post on this thread, which I think was somewhat of an overstatement. All of my evaluations of Windows 10 have been conducted on a Virtual Machine, so my tests have, by no means, been comprehensive.
    1 I like the new start menu
    2 It is more secure than Win8.1
    3 It's the future of Windows and the upgrades are coming to it and not Win8.1

    Other than that it's all subject things that I just like.. and it's new.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    05 Jul 2015 #90

    In my opinion Windows 8.1 Pro does everything that I need from an OS. It is also faster, at least on my PC, than every build of Windows 10 that I've tried. Also, I'm not ready to give up Media Center and I like having the Control Panel. That being said, I will keep my Windows 8.1 Pro install and do the Windows 10 upgrade over my Windows 7 install. I've had my Windows 7 install since Windows 7 was first released and it has become bloated with time. I could do a clean install of Windows 7, but figure I would rather do that with Windows 10, as it is the OS of the future.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Mobile versus professional—thoughts on the Office business - Office Blogs
RAM usage W8.1 versus W10 in General Support
I have compared the RAM usage of 8.1 and 10 in exactly the same (virtual) system. They are quasi identical. 12452 12453

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:16.
Find Us