Windows 10: Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 versus Windows 7

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1.    02 Jul 2015 #71

    Windows said: View Post
    Off topic, but somewhat relevant. If you peruse topics in academic disciplines such as epistemology, philosophy of science, philosophy of mathematics, philosophy of logic and philosophy of consciousness, you may arrive at the conclusion that subjectivity is the dominant feature in the human experience; perception is everything.

    For me, I subjectively perceive the Windows 7 user interface design to be vastly superior in comparison with subsequent releases of Windows; however, I am acutely aware that my perception cannot be regarded as "univeral truth". We can utilise statistical a priori methods to quantify what a user may perceive to be the more aesthetically pleasing operating system; however, I believe this to be meaningless since voluminosity is not the measure of importance.
    I go for function and not aesthetics.. running my programs/software and apps is job one of any OS. How it looks is a distant second. And this is not a contest between the three. Each has it's good points and bad points and Win7 was far from perfect to be honest.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter
       02 Jul 2015 #72

    I absolutely agree with your first point, Jeff. I actually editied my post to include both system functionality and aesthetics; I inadvertently focused on the visual aspects of Windows 7 in my original post. Unfortunately, you replied just before my edit was submitted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    02 Jul 2015 #73

    Windows said: View Post
    I absolutely agree with your first point, Jeff. I actually editied my post to include both system functionality and aesthetics; I inadvertently focused on the visual aspects of Windows 7 in my original post. Unfortunately, you replied just before my edit was submitted.
    Ok.. no issue. And there is an option of using a third party theme to get the look that you want with Win8.1 and Win10. I admit that I really liked Win7 when it came out but now I like Win10 more.. but as usual Your millage may vary.

    Take care
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 21
    XP/7/8.1/10 PRO 10586
       02 Jul 2015 #74

    I just wanted to add in that if anyone had a chance to read my post from page 6 I mentioned that I have all 3 OS'es in use presently and even though I do consider W7 my most liked Windows, I really do like W10 very much as well. Its vastly superior to W8 and reminds me a lot of W7. The only things that bother me are few minor things like Windows Sounds are off by default, the confirm dialog for deleting (recycle bin) which I turn back on (because I hit the del key sometimes accidentally and delete files without confirm) but these are minor gripes I can live with. Some people need sounds and confirm delete dialog. I am not sure why MS decided to have them off by default ... very strange.

    The only beef I have with W10 right now is the unavailability to remove APPS at ease, without using PowerShell Kari method and risking corrupting something in the O/S. My goal is to be able to remove Xbox, Music, Photos, People, and etc as I will never use these apps and I worry about their vulnerabilities as well. If the PRO W10 version allows us to defer Windows updates then the Pro/Enterprise W10 should allow us to remove these unwanted APPS. I hope this is true in the RTM of W10. I am sure business are going to want to suppress the Windows Store APP in the business environment, so I believe if you upgrade or purchase W10 pro as a home/avid user you should be able to remove these. I submitted a request, I hope Microsoft has something in store.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Insider (fast ring)
       02 Jul 2015 #75

    I want to use an OS that was made this decade.

    8.1 has been amazing. I've began to warm to 10.

    I always hated 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    02 Jul 2015 #76

    heyyahblah said: View Post
    I just wanted to add in that if anyone had a chance to read my post from page 6 I mentioned that I have all 3 OS'es in use presently and even though I do consider W7 my most liked Windows, I really do like W10 very much as well. Its vastly superior to W8 and reminds me a lot of W7. The only things that bother me are few minor things like Windows Sounds are off by default, the confirm dialog for deleting (recycle bin) which I turn back on (because I hit the del key sometimes accidentally and delete files without confirm) but these are minor gripes I can live with. Some people need sounds and confirm delete dialog. I am not sure why MS decided to have them off by default ... very strange.

    The only beef I have with W10 right now is the unavailability to remove APPS at ease, without using PowerShell Kari method and risking corrupting something in the O/S. My goal is to be able to remove Xbox, Music, Photos, People, and etc as I will never use these apps and I worry about their vulnerabilities as well. If the PRO W10 version allows us to defer Windows updates then the Pro/Enterprise W10 should allow us to remove these unwanted APPS. I hope this is true in the RTM of W10. I am sure business are going to want to suppress the Windows Store APP in the business environment, so I believe if you upgrade or purchase W10 pro as a home/avid user you should be able to remove these. I submitted a request, I hope Microsoft has something in store.
    You don't have to remove any apps if you're not using them and you can't be subject to any vulnerabilities if you don't use them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    02 Jul 2015 #77

    CountMike said: View Post
    Reading some of the posts I'm under impression that good OS means pretty pictures and stuff like that. Like I should sit whole day and look at desktop with bunch of thingies churning numbers or text. I gave up on gadgets in W7 because I have seen desktop only couple of times a day for about 3 seconds.
    I also wouldn't give a rats tail for popular thinking if this or that device is good for me or not or how popular or not they are. Nokia used to make some of the best mobile phones and now they are "lost cause" ? Why, because of windows on them ? Android is as clunky system as they come and iPhone is overvalued piece of garbage.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Jul 2015 #78

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    That's your opinion.. I don't agree. Each person will have a different opinion on what is atheistically pleasant.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter
       02 Jul 2015 #79

    enoch1138 said: View Post
    I want to use an OS that was made this decade.

    8.1 has been amazing. I've began to warm to 10.

    I always hated 7.
    Let us imagine that Windows 7 SP 1 was marketed as Windows 7.1. With this assumption, Windows 7.1 was released in 2011. Therefore, I am also utilising an operating system that was developed this decade!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter
       04 Jul 2015 #80

    I take back what I said, initially, about Windows 8.1. I have just installed it on my main PC as a dual boot with Windows 7 to assess its true performance (instead of installing it on a Virtual Machine only). I've also installed the Classic Shell program and I have undertaken a few other interface modifications to make it feel more familiar. In essence, I now believe that it's definitely superior to Windows 7 in terms of operational functionality; moreover, I actually prefer the user interface, too. I'm a convert!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Mobile versus professional—thoughts on the Office business - Office Blogs
RAM usage W8.1 versus W10 in General Support
I have compared the RAM usage of 8.1 and 10 in exactly the same (virtual) system. They are quasi identical. 12452 12453
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:37.
Find Us