Windows 10: Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 versus Windows 7

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1.    06 Jul 2015 #101

    BillyBob said: View Post
    As long as you've got a Windows CD do a boot repair or just install Linux, to bring up the other ones.
    That's not the point, those things can happen and be fixed same way in single boot systems too. Thing with separate disks is that there's much less work to replace one system without heavy loss of data on both of them. Of course, there are measures that could be taken to help prevent that, like making full disk backup, leaving data on another disk etc. but it still doubles the work and potential of loosing too much. All that makes investment in another drive (when possible) pay a high dividend.
    All of this is even more important when trying a Beta of an OS or widely different OSs, with different file systems like Windows and Linux etc.
    Even with W7 and W8, an early alpha version of Win8 manged to wipe 3 of four disks on my computer, twice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter
       06 Jul 2015 #102

    EMINENT said: View Post
    1 store for apps, music, everything that will work across all my devices. I have the same apps on my phone and tablet that will work on my pc and yes I use them on the pc believe it or not. The recent addition of Onedrive as a locker gave me the ability to stream my music anywhere to any device and offers me an integrated source for all my documents with 2 factor authentication and pretty soon will allow me to log in on all my devices with Windows Hello. Gone are the days of worrying about borking my system as everything is up and running in minutes on my Surface from a fresh build with all my files and apps synced to Onedrive.
    Eminent, I, too, like the efficiency and the uniformity provided by Windows 8+ and Windows 10 for traditional and mobile computing devices. I am pleased that you find Microsoft's most recent offerings useful. However, as with most things, it is a subjective position concerning the perceived superiority of one system over another.

    EMINENT said: View Post
    When someone comes along and bashes the cloud, touch centric capabilities, market share or the app state, take a look at what you're doing. Are these features hindering your work flow?
    In fact, yes, they do greatly affect my work flow. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and, in order to satisfy my requirements for the way in which I use my computer, I had to disable the Start screen because it was extremely distracting to me; moreover, I wanted the Windows 7-esque Start Menu, in which case I installed Classic Shell. The mobile-centric features to which you're referring are of no use to me because I do not, nor will I ever, own a tablet computer or a "smart phone" — I do actually want aspects of my life to remain technology free.

    I have deep reservations about cloud file storage. Although I can see the efficiency of such, I vehemently prioritise privacy above efficiency in this regard. It is a well established fact that high level government agencies, including the National Security Agency (NSA) in USA, can demand access to private user data without express consent from the user in question; cloud storage undoubtedly facilitates the NSA's snooping activities. Therefore, there is absolutely no way that I would want confidential information to be stored online unless it is heavily encrypted. It seems likely that cloud storage will eventually replace the need for local physical data storage mediums (i.e., hard disk drives); however, this is certainly not going to be the case for me.
    Last edited by Windows; 06 Jul 2015 at 07:35.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 Jul 2015 #103

    CountMike said: View Post
    But what if first one on first partition croaks ?
    Let me add that I do have a separate HDD for my Data and I only use the SSD for the OS and programs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 Jul 2015 #104

    groze said: View Post
    Windows,

    In Indiana, US on the local news.

    It showed one school now handing out ipads to do school work there and at home.
    In North Texas all students from middle school through high school are issued Ipads for all school work and home work research. All grades, assignments etc. are totally done with Ipads.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 Jul 2015 #105

    My feelings. I like Windows 7. I have never owned a machine with Windows 8 or 8.1. For a couple reasons, I don't like the metro stuff one bit. Makes a serious machine look like a phone interface. I try to have a little go on the display machines in shops running windows 8 or 8.1 and find it troublesome even finding or getting to the desktop area. I just want familiarity. Even in the desktop area I find the lack of a start menu baffling. Why did they think that was a good idea to omit it? Added to that just trying to get a desktop shortcut to 'My Computer' so I can view files etc just isn't straightforward. Another reason I don't like to change is I play a lot of games that are old. With every new windows version it is Russian roulette whether they will even work, some are patched but some will cease functioning. That's a pain. I think Windows 10 is a step in the right direction from what I have seen. The return of a native start menu slightly akin to Windows 7 is a big boost. I hope that separate Metro interface is kicked to oblivion. I don't mind so much if it is blended into the start menu on the main desktop (that seems to be Windows 10 has done from the screenshots I have seen).

    I do detest feaures dropping out, they might seem like minor things but losing things like Movie Maker, DVD maker, DVD playback (god knows what else is gone since Windows 7) are a major pain. Means having to go through the hassle of getting software either free or paid to do the same thing. In any event I would never upgrade my current machine from Windows 7, too much uncertainty with software and drivers already installed. I would only ever move to a new OS if it came pre installed on a machine, far less headaches I would assume. But Windows 10 does look pretty good. In my view, Windows 8 and 8.1 lost me as soon as I learned there was no start menu and that the desktop was considered secondary to that god awful Metro front screen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 21
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
    Thread Starter
       06 Jul 2015 #106

    stealth2920 said: View Post
    In North Texas all students from middle school through high school are issued Ipads for all school work and home work research. All grades, assignments etc. are totally done with Ipads.
    Those are interesting facts. It would be good to ascertain what the usage share is, globally, for tablet computers versus desktop PCs and laptops in primary, secondary, further and higher education. As things stand now, I personally cannot envisage tablet computers ever overtaking traditional desktop PCs and laptops in these institutional environments. I contend that, in general, traditional application software is far more useful and comprehensive — in comparison with tablet-based apps — for businesses, educational and other institutions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    06 Jul 2015 #107

    Windows said: View Post
    Those are interesting facts. It would be good to ascertain what the usage share is, globally, for tablet computers versus desktop PCs and laptops in primary, secondary, further and higher education. As things stand now, I personally cannot envisage tablet computers ever overtaking traditional desktop PCs and laptops in these institutional environments. I contend that, in general, traditional application software is far more useful and comprehensive — in comparison with tablet-based apps — for businesses, educational and other institutions.
    Most schools in several school districts in Texas no longer have PC's in the classrooms. Totally everything is done with an Ipad with a school district wifi network. Only PC's you can find would be in the office. Students are issued Ipads when entering the 6th grade and keep them until graduation from high school.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    06 Jul 2015 #108

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    My feelings. I like Windows 7. I have never owned a machine with Windows 8 or 8.1. For a couple reasons, I don't like the metro stuff one bit. Makes a serious machine look like a phone interface. I try to have a little go on the display machines in shops running windows 8 or 8.1 and find it troublesome even finding or getting to the desktop area. I just want familiarity. Even in the desktop area I find the lack of a start menu baffling. Why did they think that was a good idea to omit it? Added to that just trying to get a desktop shortcut to 'My Computer' so I can view files etc just isn't straightforward. Another reason I don't like to change is I play a lot of games that are old. With every new windows version it is Russian roulette whether they will even work, some are patched but some will cease functioning. That's a pain. I think Windows 10 is a step in the right direction from what I have seen. The return of a native start menu slightly akin to Windows 7 is a big boost. I hope that separate Metro interface is kicked to oblivion. I don't mind so much if it is blended into the start menu on the main desktop (that seems to be Windows 10 has done from the screenshots I have seen).

    I do detest feaures dropping out, they might seem like minor things but losing things like Movie Maker, DVD maker, DVD playback (god knows what else is gone since Windows 7) are a major pain. Means having to go through the hassle of getting software either free or paid to do the same thing. In any event I would never upgrade my current machine from Windows 7, too much uncertainty with software and drivers already installed. I would only ever move to a new OS if it came pre installed on a machine, far less headaches I would assume. But Windows 10 does look pretty good. In my view, Windows 8 and 8.1 lost me as soon as I learned there was no start menu and that the desktop was considered secondary to that god awful Metro front screen.
    Except for part about some games (old ones) having problems with Direct X compatibility, those are pretty weak arguments.
    "Makes a serious machine look like a phone interface", that can be bypassed and never used. Partly understand wish for Start menu (I didn't use it (much) but there's some substitutes that are even better than Start menu in W7.
    My computer icon (This PC in W8/8.1) together with Control panel, User files and Network, can be set to desktop exactly same way as in W7. As far as I remember they were not there by default in W7 either.
    Missing "features", are not as much missing as that MS has spoiled people with largely inefficient programs which I had to replace with more serious programs anyway. On the other hand, W8/8.1 doesn't need bunch of codecs that I had to update periodically in W7 plus Media Player was pretty lame comparing to aftermarket players.
    Windows 10 improved on Start menu even comparing to W7 and is somewhat usable now. Being able to use Modern Apps thru the same menu in W 10 is very good thing. Who doesn't want to use them can take all of them out but Live Tiles replace gadgets in W7 and puts them in handier place. You don't have to minimize all the windows and drop to desktop just to see them.
    All of those "bad parts" are more than covered by better performance of W8.1 and 10 .
    Having said all that, I still think that OS should be a lean, mean one without all those doohickies and let me use what I want and need instead, including internet browser which you couldn't get rid of because of too deep integration.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 25,577
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       06 Jul 2015 #109

    Windows said: View Post
    Eminent, I, too, like the efficiency and the uniformity provided by Windows 8+ and Windows 10 for traditional and mobile computing devices. I am pleased that you find Microsoft's most recent offerings useful. However, as with most things, it is a subjective position concerning the perceived superiority of one system over another.
    This is by no means a judgement, but rather an observation. Do what you may. That is, of course, your right.

    About your statement “Subjective position concerning the perceived superiority of one system over another”; Yes, we all have our individual perception of reality. e.g. We all look at a tree differently. You may perceive something about the tree that I may not. To share these perceptions is one of the facets of this forum.

    The truth is that until there is a comprehensive scientific study of the ergonomics of one system over the other we will, in essence, never know the truth.

    In fact, yes, it does greatly affect my work flow. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and, in order to satisfy my requirements for the way in which I use my computer, I had to disable the Start screen because it was extremely distracting to me; moreover, I wanted the Windows 7-esque Start Menu, in which case I installed Classic Shell. The mobile-centric features to which you're referring are of no use to me because I do not, nor will I ever, own a tablet computer or a "smart phone" — I do actually want aspects of my life to remain technology free.
    Firstly let me state this; Although you have every right to, you and others that install Classic Shell are in reality creating Windows 7.5. I understand your reasoning so far as speed of one system over the other is concerned, but you are not using the 8/8.1 systems as intended by its creator. It is liken to driving a car without a steering wheel. The Start screen, Charms, and any other navigational features that Classic Shell might eliminate being the “steering wheel”. Also, it is liken to spray painting graffiti on the Mona Lisa; the Classic Shell Start menu over the Start screen.

    I feel that your statement “I’ll never own a tablet computer or a "smart phone"” is not a valid reason to justify making it 7.5.

    Obviously Windows OSs have changed through the years. Each one presenting a more efficient means of computing to accomplish tasks whatever they may be. Be it creating a Word doc or Excel spreadsheet, creating a picture, CAD, checking/reading email, looking up a contact, checking the weather, using a social site, or whatever it may be. IMO at this space in time WinRT does a lot more of these tasks more efficiently than the Win32 system over multiple devices and it will continue to be developed to be more efficient. Enough so that Win32 will eventually be eliminated.

    As of the last decade or so computing is also about collecting as much personal data in the least amount of time and arranging those means to collect it through personalization, for time is valuable. WinRT accomplishes that better also: The Real Quality Boot Time of 8 Verses 7

    I have deep reservations about cloud file storage. Although I can see the efficiency of such, I vehemently prioritise privacy above efficiency in this regard. It is a well established fact that high level government agencies, including the National Security Agency (NSA) in USA, can demand access to private user data without express consent from the user in question; cloud storage undoubtedly facilitates the NSA's snooping activities. Therefore, there is absolutely no way that I would want confidential information to be stored online unless it is heavily encrypted. It seems likely that cloud storage will eventually replace the need for local physical data storage mediums (i.e., hard disk drives); however, this is certainly not going to be the case for me.
    All I can say on this is that I think our founding fathers would roll in their graves if they knew what was going on. I use the cloud in a limited fashion for now until this issue is cleared up. I don’t store personal data files there. Tech companies are addressing this issue. I feel they’re speaking for us.

    BTW, anything uploaded and stored in OneDrive is indeed encrypted.

    Again, do as you may. It’s your right. Even if only using one device, I feel you’re stagnating yourself. Others and I will be moving ahead.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       06 Jul 2015 #110

    I am going to it and let the article do the talking.

    If VLC can ship a free DVD player, why can't Microsoft? | ZDNet
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Mobile versus professional—thoughts on the Office business - Office Blogs
RAM usage W8.1 versus W10 in General Support
I have compared the RAM usage of 8.1 and 10 in exactly the same (virtual) system. They are quasi identical. 12452 12453
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35.
Find Us