Windows 10: Really slow startup and no mention of Win10 in boot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    26 Jan 2017 #1

    Really slow startup and no mention of Win10 in boot


    Since upgrading to Win 10 recently it takes PC about 20mins plus to start (window and revolving wheel ) then log in /admin password enter --and it then runs OK
    I can live with it at worst ( make a cup o coffee and toast ) and then put it to sleep at night !

    Have tried reducing progs and services that run at startup etc -but no effect on boot time

    Recently examined config sys and used safe mode --but when I tried to revert to norm found that it had selective start up checked When I tried normal -it switched back to selective ?!

    Under boot tab I find that whilst I start in Win 10 screen and all functions are Win 10 related --it only mentions Win7 Pro in boot
    Could this be connected with slow startup time in that its saying the previous OS and having to search for Win 10 because it didnt install correctly perhaps ?

    I dont want to do clean install if at all possible and have to back up / organise all files In addition I have some dongol key progs loaded that would be an absolute pain to sort out again ----but- if absolutely no other way ..............?

    What would you suggest to sort
    Or do I just live with the slow boot as I said earlier

    Other than that -PC runs fine Its just that I`d be happier knowing if it could be sorted and whats causing it Thanks fellas (Would appreciate any suggestions and advice but please be aware that my knowledge of computers is low to average and I mainly USE `em rather than know what makes em tick!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,527
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       27 Jan 2017 #2

    Initial troubleshooting is to run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt and run chkdsk c: /spotfix or chkdsk c: /r for a full bad sector scan which takes ages. Also, ensure you have no disks connected which have an active partition other than your boot drive since this can confuse the boot process - you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to check this. You could also use Autoruns to check and disable startup programs, services and tasks if you feel confident to use it - see Autoruns for Windows
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro
       27 Jan 2017 #3

    Yesterday I posted my findings on this subject. see Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All

    It might help you as it did me.
    Good luck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Jan 2017 #4

    Steve C said: View Post
    Initial troubleshooting is to run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt and run chkdsk c: /spotfix or chkdsk c: /r for a full bad sector scan which takes ages. Also, ensure you have no disks connected which have an active partition other than your boot drive since this can confuse the boot process - you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to check this. You could also use Autoruns to check and disable startup programs, services and tasks if you feel confident to use it - see Autoruns for Windows
    Thanks Steve for your prompt attention and response
    Have carried out HDD check and indications No bad sectors and in good health
    That I can handle -now I glaze over a bit !!
    But maybe you would kindly guide me through it if you would
    Please find screenshot Could you advise if this shows anything that could be the root of the problem please and I will also investigate further the additonal kind offer of help
    Many thanks Crackerjack

    96%x
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    27 Jan 2017 #5

    93%x
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 Jan 2017 #6

    HansH said: View Post
    Yesterday I posted my findings on this subject. see Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All

    It might help you as it did me.
    Good luck!
    Hi Hans Thanks a lot -Have been groping in the dark (whilst making the coffee and toast) waiting for the darn thing to start up Will have a close examination of your findings tomorrow when I have more time and hopefully Ill find a solution with the assistance of you and Steve Many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    27 Jan 2017 #7

    crackerjack said: View Post
    Since upgrading to Win 10 recently it takes PC about 20mins plus to start
    Thats your problem...you upgraded , do a clean install & you will have no worries. I dont have a thousand posts here but I have installed w10 a few times and always clean install no problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,527
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       28 Jan 2017 #8

    crackerjack said: View Post
    Thanks Steve for your prompt attention and response
    Have carried out HDD check and indications No bad sectors and in good health
    That I can handle -now I glaze over a bit !!
    But maybe you would kindly guide me through it if you would
    Please find screenshot Could you advise if this shows anything that could be the root of the problem please and I will also investigate further the additonal kind offer of help
    Many thanks Crackerjack

    96%x
    Your partitions are OK from your post - only 1 active partition.

    There may be something wrong with your configuration. Try the following:

    Run start up repair - see Startup Repair - Run in Windows 10

    You could try a repair install where you install Windows over itself - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    Else, you might have to do a clean install.

    Ensure you have backed up your data before attempting the above.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    28 Jan 2017 #9

    crackerjack said: View Post
    Since upgrading to Win 10
    asusG said: View Post
    I have installed w10 a few times and always clean install no problems.
    Steve C said: View Post
    Else, you might have to do a clean install..
    . takes about 30 minutes clean, far less time to clean install than doing all lengthy troubleshooting
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,527
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       28 Jan 2017 #10

    asusG said: View Post
    . takes about 30 minutes clean, far less time to clean install than doing all lengthy troubleshooting
    Yes, the clean install will take 30mins but quite a few hours are needed to reinstall all programs & devices, configure and test them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi everyone... I have received some critical kernel boot messages in Event Viewer after every start-up. Just a few pointers: - Fast Startup is Enabled - UEFI Fast Boot is enabled in BIOS These are the error messages: 1. Event ID 29:...
Hello, Today, I was messing around with a PS2 emulator (PCSX2) on my computer, and when I decided to restart the computer to move some files (the file explorer was saying "this folder is in use by another program"), my computer took a whopping...
Slow startup and boot in Performance & Maintenance
Good day all! I haven't been on Ten Forums for a while but I will try and be as descriptive as possible. After upgrading to Windows 10 64 bit my PC has been acting strange. When I start my laptop, normally you would see that the HP logo...
Win10 SLOW BOOT debugging in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, since I've installed win10 I notice a Slow cold boot (restart) compared to my old win8.1. I'm talking of a fresh CLEAN installation, so no bloatware printer drivers or other stuff. I'm trying to debug the issue and recorded LOGS from...
Solved Slow boot on Win10 compared to Win7 in Performance & Maintenance
Hello, Compared to my Win7 installation, my Win10 boots up way slower than Win7 ever did. Relevant hardware: 2600K@4.8, 8GB 1600/CL7 RAM, Samsung 840 SSD. Fresh installation has been done after the initial upgrade, all drivers seem to be OK. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37.
Find Us