Windows 10: extra large icons stopped working
extra large icons stopped working
If I open my windows 10 file explorer " this PC downloads", and want to see thumbnails in extra large size, this suddenly no longer works.
All the other sizes still work. Extra large is highlighted as my choice of size, but produces the same size as medium icons, though in a different configuration. i.e. they are in vertical lines with much white space between them, instead of horizontal lines quite close together, as in the medium size.
I have tried search and view etc but nothing works.
Up to 3 days ago the extra large size worked perfectly.
On my other windows 10 computer they still work. I have checked the ticked boxes in search and view on both computers and they are identical. Any ideas?
Hi, forgive the obvious question:
- do you have a system restore point prior to this occurring?
- or a disk image which you can use to restore your system to a previous state? (We strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) )
Is this problem apparent only in this one folder?
Please compare this
a. in Safe Mode
b. after a clean boot
c. when logged in as another user (create one for test purposes).
a & b may help to eliminate 3rd party conflicts (but not context menu extensions)
c may help to identify a user profile corruption issue.
Finally, do you know of any changes you have made in the last 3 days?
file explorer extra large icons stopped working
dear dalchina, thanks VERY much for your quick and clear response. Dont worry, no question is too obvious for me.
I have no system restore point and nothing with which to restore to previous point.
After opening in safe mode there was no difference.
Also after clean boot no difference.
I tried to add another user but couldnt because Im no good with computers, so dont yet know about that.
I didnt notice that I made changes in the last 3 days, but could have done so unknowingly, I suppose.
10 days ago there was a windows update.
Also the sound and brightness has stopped working unless I preceed it by Fn
The PrtScr has stopped working without the windows key preceeding it.
THanks again, hope there might be a sollution
Hi, as you have a number of problems not related to your user account and present in safe mode, I would suggest you do an in-place upgrade repair install. Here's my write-up on it.. do make sure you start using disk imaging - that's how you can recover should something go wrong during this procedure. This will take you some time to prepare for; there are several steps.
You may like to find a friend who's familiar with PCs as this, while routine to many people, will seem a lot to take on first time.
Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:
From an admin command prompt
[Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
chkdsk C: /F
Your PC will need to restart.
Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.
For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).
Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Tutorials
- this includes a link from which you can obtain Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a bootable medium.
I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
- for any future in-place upgrade repair install
- to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
- to clean install Windows
This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
- all/most associations will be unchanged
- all your programs will be left installed
- no personal data should be affected
- you will lose any custom fonts
- you will lose any customised system icons
- you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
- you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
- Windows.old will be created
- system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
- you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
- inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
- if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.
Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
- preserve your system (and your sanity)
- back up your data
- restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time
Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.
What a clear and helpful answer. I am going now to buy the disk and will put your plan into action as soon as someone is free to help me. THANKYOU!
found this (finally) on the net:
Is it possible to make image thumbnails within a folder larger than the "extra large" option without lowering the screen resolution?
I'm a designer and constantly sifting through folders of dozens of images. With my new Surface Book the...
A few days ago I posted a request on how to create spaces between my taskbar icons. I was successfully directed by Edwin (Solved Increase space between a set of taskbar icons? - Windows 10 Forums) to follow this excellent video (2016-04-29_1502 -...
On my wife's PC she's go a lot, and I mean a lot of icons for these games she plays. Before the 10 upgrade on Windows 7 the program called Fences was used to contain all these icons and make them scroll-able in the "fence." Windows 10...
I upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 recently and everything is fine except for the icons, it was too big I set my settings to small icons and its still big. I did the display settings thing still didn't work. help!