Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 22
    Win10 Pro Build 10586
       12 Feb 2016 #271

    CountMike said: View Post
    It surely should apply to retail W10 bought now but it doesn't seem to apply to free upgrade. There's still time for MS to change that. There are rumors about MS extending deadline for free upgrades.
    I hope the extension is a long one. I've just rebuilt my system and won't be doing so again for a while
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,943
    All kinds
       12 Feb 2016 #272

    arnoldh said: View Post
    I hope the extension is a long one. I've just rebuilt my system and won't be doing so again for a while
    My main computer got updated last month as far as I need for in next few years. An old laptop can't go further than XP and secondary I'm going to build very soon is going to Linux(s).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,651
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       12 Feb 2016 #273

    CountMike said: View Post
    It surely should apply to retail W10 bought now but it doesn't seem to apply to free upgrade. There's still time for MS to change that. There are rumors about MS extending deadline for free upgrades.
    Most of what I've seen, Mike, is wishful thinking on the upgrade extension. Not that it would bother me one way or the other, since since this dual boot system has been upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and has Build 14257 on the second partition.

    BTW, it seems I got lucky and hit the "loophole" that doesn't require me to have a prior Win 7 or 8.1 in order to install Windows 10 Pro on this machine; however, I'm one of those who just has to be squeaky clean (or I just know someone will catch me), so I used my 8.1 Pro to upgrade to Win 10 Pro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Dec 2013
    Portsmouth Hampshire
    Posts : 1,190
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       15 Feb 2016 #274

    If you have been an insider and have stopped at builds 10240 or 10586, your digital entitlement would seem to be secure, but what if you have upgraded past these to an insider build with a time limited license that has expired, or your insider build is short of 10240, and expired - does your one time digital entitlement still exist? Will it exist past July 30 2016?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,651
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       15 Feb 2016 #275

    Fafhrd said: View Post
    If you have been an insider and have stopped at builds 10240 or 10586, your digital entitlement would seem to be secure, but what if you have upgraded past these to an insider build with a time limited license that has expired, or your insider build is short of 10240, and expired - does your one time digital entitlement still exist? Will it exist past July 30 2016?
    It's my understanding that once you've upgraded from Windows 7 or 8.1, your computer will always be "digitally entitled". I would think that all you'd have to do is reinstall from Build 10586 (media creation tool?) and you'd be good to go.

    IIRC, we're told that if we stop being Insiders, we will need to uninstall any Insider builds.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Dec 2013
    Portsmouth Hampshire
    Posts : 1,190
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       15 Feb 2016 #276

    I've no plans to stop Insidering, just not on my main daily machine. Talking about Defender, earlier today, it decided, unbeknownst to me, that Word was infected with a trojan, and gave its peremptory notification: Found some Malware - Windows Defender is removing it. I couldn't find any mention of this in Defender, but then it dawned on me... ...where did Word go with the document I was working on, and when I could not find it in the Office folder, only then did I get a second notification, exactly the same as the first. Only then in Defender, could I trace a quarantined file, and restore it - Word of course! - and it's been running ever since with no squeak of it's malign intentions. I may just go back to Baidu Antivirus - at least it gives you the chance to quarantine or remove the offender before it tells you that your wife is a witch and she was burned at dawn. Normally I wouldn't mind that, but it's much nicer to be asked first.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,651
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       15 Feb 2016 #277

    Fafhrd said: View Post
    I've no plans to stop Insidering, just not on my main daily machine. Talking about Defender, earlier today, it decided, unbeknownst to me, that Word was infected with a trojan, and gave its peremptory notification: Found some Malware - Windows Defender is removing it. I couldn't find any mention of this in Defender, but then it dawned on me... ...where did Word go with the document I was working on, and when I could not find it in the Office folder, only then did I get a second notification, exactly the same as the first. Only then in Defender, could I trace a quarantined file, and restore it - Word of course! - and it's been running ever since with no squeak of it's malign intentions. I may just go back to Baidu Antivirus - at least it gives you the chance to quarantine or remove the offender before it tells you that your wife is a witch and she was burned at dawn. Normally I wouldn't mind that, but it's much nicer to be asked first.
    Yeah, that beta of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware decided my Office 365 2016 update was malware and quarantined it. I couldn't find it anywhere on my computer; it was just gone . . .

    That's one beta that will no longer reside on my testbed!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,433
    Windows 10 Pro
       21 Mar 2016 #278

    Wynona said: View Post
    Yeah, that beta of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware decided my Office 365 2016 update was malware and quarantined it. I couldn't find it anywhere on my computer; it was just gone . . .

    That's one beta that will no longer reside on my testbed!

    Are you sure it wasn't Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware? The anti-ransomware wiped-out my Office 365.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,651
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       21 Mar 2016 #279

    Winuser said: View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware? The anti-ransomware wiped-out my Office 365.
    Whatever it was, I'm never going to put anything Malwarebytes on my computer again! It's that simple. Once burned, I don't go back for seconds.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jun 2014
    Posts : 4,433
    Windows 10 Pro
       21 Mar 2016 #280

    Wynona said: View Post
    Whatever it was, I'm never going to put anything Malwarebytes on my computer again! It's that simple. Once burned, I don't go back for seconds.

    I don't know why you feel you got burnt. It is a beta and the whole idea of the beta releases is for us to test. It wiped out my Office 365 but I will try it again after a few more updates.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10 - Updated June 15, 2015
Very interesting quote from this MS site. Also many questions answered and takes a while. This Q&A was updated on June 15, 2015. ...
General Support
Solved Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.
So, many Windows 7 and 8.1 users started getting the notification to reserve their free copies of Windows 10. But what about those insiders who clean installed the Insider Preview? (Not upgraded from an existing system). How will activation...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 upgrade, updates and build releases questions
I am talking about windows 10 release that scheduled for July 29. These question will determine if I get a windows 10 device in the future and whether or not I upgrade. My questions are referring to windows home unless otherwise noted. How...
Windows Insider
Reserve Free Windows 10 Upgrade
This morning before going to work(05:45 my time) a Windows icon showed up in my system tray(on my Windows 8.1 desktop). I'm being offered to reserve Windows 10!!!! I just got back from work took a closer look and accepted. Here's a couple of...
Installation and Setup
How will the Windows 10 free upgrade work?
How will the Windows 10 free upgrade during the first year work? Will it be: Once you select to upgrade your computer, your "CD key" will be permanently upgraded to Windows 10, which means that if you reformat your computer after the first free...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums