Windows 10: Unresponsive Start menu
Unresponsive Start menu
My father's account on our family PC is having an interesting issue. His Start button is not working with left click, and his taskbar apps are not responding to right clicking. Also interestingly, there is a blank, clickable space between his apps and his Start/Search/etc. buttons, though predictably this space does nothing.
His is the only account that has this issue. All four other accounts are fine.
Any ideas short of an operating system refresh?
Try sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt. If that doesn't fix the issue then restore to a previous time when the start menu last worked if this is a recent problem. It could be an account configuration problem which is solved by creating a new user account and moving the user files and configuration to the new account - see the instructions below for creating a new account and copying the user profile. A work around is to install Classic Shell and use that instead of the start menu.
Copying User Profile
- Create a new user account e.g. New_Username
- Press Windows and X keys together and select File Explorer.
- Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.
- Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
- Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.
- Click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.
- Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
- Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
- Right click and Select Copy.
- Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
- Right click inside the folder and select Paste.
- Restart your PC and check if you are able to log in to the new user.
My start button and Windows key frequently become unresponsive. The only thing I can do is sign out and sign back in or restart manually. This happens at least once a day, and I'm getting really tired of it. It seems to have started after the last...
Now & then when I start my computer, nothing appears in the task bar, the Microsoft Start button at the bottom left fails to respond to either a left or right click, the Cortana window "Ask me anything" & the Task View are also unresponsive'
I just upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of days ago and it's been an absolute nightmare.
The start menu frequently just stops working with no clear trigger. It reacts when I mouse over it, and it changes colour when I click on it, but no start...
If you have installed Windows 10 on an older computer you may have some issues with the 'Right Click' context menu.
I was trying to right click videos and images, and it was a hit and miss...