1. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Weeks Ago #1

    Windows 10 stuck on the welcome screen after upgrading hardware


    Hello, today I upgraded my hardware, I start the pc on windows 7 (i'm dual booting) and everything goes smoothly.
    Then I start the pc with Windows 10, after a lot of time from being stuck on "Getting Devices Ready" my electricity goes down (it happens quite often here).After i boot up my pc again, the welcome screen appears, the thing is there is only an image and the power and network icons at the bootom left but no welcome.After some time my pc will freeze and i can't do anything.

    p.s:My pc boots seccessfully in safe mode and i have no password
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2016
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts : 618
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
       4 Weeks Ago #2

    Welcome to the Ten forums.

    It may help if you detailed what hardware you upgraded and any specific process you went through to perform the upgrade.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Weeks Ago #3

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Welcome to the Ten forums.

    It may help if you detailed what hardware you upgraded and any specific process you went through to perform the upgrade.
    Well i upgraded everything except my HDD (graphics card too)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2016
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts : 618
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
       4 Weeks Ago #4

    Is your Windows 10 license a retail version or are you using an OEM.

    If OEM then its likely the license won't activate even if you get past the login as this is a "Different" machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Weeks Ago #5

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Is your Windows 10 license a retail version or are you using an OEM.

    If OEM then its likely the license won't activate even if you get past the login as this is a "Different" machine.
    But how come i can get on safe mode without a problem
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2016
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts : 618
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
       4 Weeks Ago #6

    Likely, although I won't say definitively, Safe Mode is a Recovery environment, where most people would not work from.

    From your response this is a OEM version.

    Forum rules state we can't help you circumvent licensing requirements and as I said it wouldn't activate anyway as this is a "Different" machine. Sorry.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Weeks Ago #7

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Likely, although I won't say definitively, Safe Mode is a Recovery environment, where most people would not work from.

    From your response this is a OEM version.

    Forum rules state we can't help you circumvent licensing requirements and as I said it wouldn't activate anyway as this is a "Different" machine. Sorry.
    Ok then, thanks for the help, i need a new windows copy now, right?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2016
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts : 618
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
       4 Weeks Ago #8

    By my understanding of the licensing requirements, yes. OEM licenses are machine specific and are not transferable.

    I would google Windows 10 licensing. Even check to see if we have something in the tutorial section. There have been some excellent articles written on the subject. You could also wait to see if a another forum member has a different point of view.

    When you upgraded to Windows 10, the MS servers fingerprinted your machine, so that in the future when you re-installed they could activate. Now there is some leeway. Say if you upgraded to an SSD or new graphic card. They would likely say, hey that is the same machine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       4 Weeks Ago #9

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    By my understanding of the licensing requirements, yes. OEM licenses are machine specific and are not transferable.

    I would google Windows 10 licensing. Even check to see if we have something in the tutorial section. There have been some excellent articles written on the subject. You could also wait to see if a another forum member has a different point of view.

    When you upgraded to Windows 10, the MS servers fingerprinted your machine, so that in the future when you re-installed they could activate. Now there is some leeway. Say if you upgraded to an SSD or new graphic card. They would likely say, hey that is the same machine.
    Ok then, i'll get a new copy.Thank you for the help
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Upgrading Windows 10 got stuck at 92%
Hi, I think my windows 10 upgrade gets stuck at 92% with configuring windows at 69%. It's been at this screen for over 24 hours already. I'm a bit concerned now. I'm wondering if I shut it down by pressing and holding the power button, would I...
Installation and Setup
Upgrading hardware
I'm looking at getting a new cpu soon, with it I will need a new motherboard and ram too. How would I get windows 10 on to this? I assume it will not recognise my existing license.... or will it somehow update to work perfectly fine on the new...
Installation and Setup
Hardware Problems after upgrading to Windows 10?
Okay, I'm not sure if these are Windows 10 problems or not, but I just upgraded maybe 10 days ago and am having 2 hardware problems. I know for sure 1 was not occurring immediately. I cannot remember 100% if #2 problem occurred immediately after...
Drivers and Hardware
Stuck on Windows flat blue logo while upgrading from 8.1
Hello there, Yesterday, I tried to upgrade from Windows 8.1 with the automatic upgrade tool : everything seemed fine, the install process was going on, the PC restarted several times but then stucked on the flat blue Windows logo ... I left it as...
Installation and Setup
Should I upgrade hardware before upgrading 7 Ultimate x64 to 10?
Hi all, I've been contemplating upgrading my current hardware (see profile for details) for the past few months. Now that Windows 10 is being rolled out I've read that changing hardware will cause Windows to re-activate but people have had...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums