1. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home
       4 Weeks Ago #1

    Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon?


    When I log onto my laptop (Win 10 Home) I check if there are any updates (this is after I update defender definitions). Comes back with none BUT then shortly after that the computer connects to MS in Washington (IP lookup after I see a connection to and follow a large download to laptop). 185+ MB downloaded to me. This is this morning, not all the same amounts downloaded, it just starts downloading and win update said there were no updates. I am concerned why MS wants to randomly download large files to it when both defender and win updates says there are no updates. Is anyone else noticing this?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2016
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts : 578
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
       4 Weeks Ago #2

    I would go into your updates and view update history to see if any have failed and are retrying.

    You could also run the Update troubleshooter just to ensure it runs clean. Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top. Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click, click on Run as administartor. Should run clean
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home
       4 Weeks Ago #3

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    I would go into your updates and view update history to see if any have failed and are retrying.

    You could also run the Update troubleshooter just to ensure it runs clean. Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top. Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click, click on Run as administartor. Should run clean
    Hi Ken, already tried the look-see if a failed update is retrying, none failed or in a waiting status that I can find. I am standalone (as I understand it, if I am not logged into a MS account 'cortana' does not work), do not use 'cortana', If I could find the update troubleshooter, what would that tell me if no updates are there and no failed updates are 'retrying'?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Feb 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts : 110
    Windows 10 Pro 1607 14393.576
       4 Weeks Ago #4

    It's probably cortana. On my system, once a week it was downloading huge amounts of data. The only thing I could think it is, is that its link information being downloaded by BING. It did it every Thursday morning in my neck of the woods. I took care of that problem, SearchUI.exe nolonger exists on my system. I don't use Cortana, I have no need for it and now its gone !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2016
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts : 578
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
       4 Weeks Ago #5

    Whether you use Cortana as an assistant or not is everyone's preference. Cortana is also a system search and a very quick way to find things or your device. Windows 7 also had a search bar but you had to click on the start Orb, it was positioned right over it. Windows 8 you could just start typing but the lack of a bar meant people didn't know they could type. By providing a quick way to access programs MS is trying to show us another way of starting things other than clicking down through series of menus.

    If you removed the search bar form your task bar, that is also called Cortana, then we have to start the trouble shooter another way. My goal is simple to ensure nothing is failing, which you reported there are no updates in this status, and all processes, stores, DB's around updates are clean. If you wish to run Troubleshooting, right click on the Windows Start, lower right corner, click on search, then type in Troubleshooting. Ignore the fact that Cortana wants to engage you, just key in your search.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Feb 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts : 110
    Windows 10 Pro 1607 14393.576
       4 Weeks Ago #6

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Whether you use Cortana as an assistant or not is everyone's preference. Cortana is also a system search and a very quick way to find things or your device. Windows 7 also had a search bar but you had to click on the start Orb, it was positioned right over it. Windows 8 you could just start typing but the lack of a bar meant people didn't know they could type. By providing a quick way to access programs MS is trying to show us another way of starting things other than clicking down through series of menus.



    If you removed the search bar form your task bar, that is also called Cortana, then we have to start the trouble shooter another way. My goal is simple to ensure nothing is failing, which you reported there are no updates in this status, and all processes, stores, DB's around updates are clean. If you wish to run Troubleshooting, right click on the Windows Start, lower right corner, click on search, then type in Troubleshooting. Ignore the fact that Cortana wants to engage you, just key in your search.
    KEN, You are not the op of this tread. he was complaining about the large amount of data that WIN 10 was downloading. I have observed this situation and determined that SearchUI.exe (ie Cortana) was responsible for it on my system. It nolonger performs those tasks on both of my systems. I will be happy to tell the op what procedures are needed to disable these processes if he wants. But if you think its the update process, it probably is not. Oh it has nothing to do with removing the search bar from your task bar, it still runs in the background.



    !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2016
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts : 578
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
       4 Weeks Ago #7

    Agree I'm not op.

    Mega10user asked the question "If I could find the update troubleshooter, what would that tell me if no updates are there and no failed updates are 'retrying'? He also said he didn't use Cortana.

    I was trying to answer why I had suggested running trouble shooter.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Feb 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts : 110
    Windows 10 Pro 1607 14393.576
       4 Weeks Ago #8

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Agree I'm not op.

    Mega10user asked the question "If I could find the update troubleshooter, what would that tell me if no updates are there and no failed updates are 'retrying'? He also said he didn't use Cortana.

    I was trying to answer why I had suggested running trouble shooter.
    As I have previous posted - Its not updates that are causing the OP's issuses. Why don't you fix your quote color since I can't see The quotes that you post ! My quotes are clear as a bell !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Feb 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts : 110
    Windows 10 Pro 1607 14393.576
       4 Weeks Ago #9

    Why don't you and I try to fix the Op's issue, instead of U & I debating what is causing the problem !!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,966
    All kinds
       4 Weeks Ago #10

    It's not happening to me but could be it's synchronizing with something, phone, another computer or even OneDrive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
BSOD downloading large files, error 0x000000d1
The computer run into BSOD for several times, blaming for L1C63x64.sys, which I found is related to NDIS Miniport Driver f , C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\L1C63x64.sys. My Qualcomm driver is the newest version. I really appreciate you if you could...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Copying large files to external USB crashes PC
I don't have the BSOD info yet, and from what I can tell it varies anyway. The first error I received was 0x8007045d but after a clean install of Windows 10 I instead got a BSOD talking about IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. When I get home I want to try...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Possible to disable the large icon over pointer when dragging files?
I love Windows 10 but this may be the most annoying feature so far for me and I have no clue how to turn it off. I've searched online and all results concern windows 8/7/vista... and not only were there no real solutions but there is nothing about...
General Support
Excessively Large System Files
I have two excessively large system files located in C:\Windows\: {2FD0AD83-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D} {2FD0AD87-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D} The first is 43.4 GB and the second is 26.6 GB. Together, they constitute 30% of my total disk...
Performance & Maintenance
How can I find large files in windows10
Hi. How can I find large files on my local harddrive using windows10. I need to clean up unused large files
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums