Windows 10: Multiple Windows 10 Problems
Multiple Windows 10 Problems
Hi, I have this issue when I turn on my computer the following issues will occur:
- UAC prompt will not pop up -I only see the screen dim with the wallpaper background as if the prompt was there
- Start freezes when going to settings -Start works fine but after I click on settings or any other apps related to making changes on the computer the Start button wont work anymore
- Ctrl+Alt + Del shows a black screen -After hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del the screen goes black with the cursor no options (lock, task manager, etc.)
- All browsers will not work -When I open any browser it will freeze and not respond
- Microsoft Outlook (or maybe other MS Office apps) freezes - When I reply to emails, search and press send/receive MS Outlook just freezes
I tried the resolution on the win7 forums UAC messages don't show up and other random problems with Windows, so far I managed to turn off the UAC, but can't seem to find the Microsoft Security Essentials.
I also tried sfc /scannow to no avail
Thank for the help, I'll be posting this on the win10 forums as well.
Last edited by SerPierre; 14 Dec 2016 at 08:26.
1. History. Was Win 10 working, and then these symptoms all appeared? Or have you had these ever since installing Windows or a particular upgrade or update? Or...?
2. Do you have any restore points or disk images (we strongly and repeatedly recommend using disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) so when difficult problems arise you can quickly and easily revert to a previous working state probably without technical help?
3. Have you run chkdsk..?
From an admin command prompt
[Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
chkdsk C: /F
Your PC will need to restart.
Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
4. What was the result of running SFC /Scannow from an admin command prompt? (Did it report any problems? See your CBS log probably at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) - don't post the whole thing please.
5. What is your Win 10 build? Windows key + R, type Winver ?
Hi, thank you for the reply, here are the ones you're asking for:
- Yes Win 10 was working fine for the past 6 months, it started when I downloaded a few torrents. The uTorrent froze after turning on my laptop (torrent was set to auto shutdown when downloads complete), then from there browsers wont open then the rest I mentioned above.
- I tried the restore point on 12/09/16 which was the latest update but the same thing happened. I don't have any disk images.
- For chkdsk results, it's on the other laptop so I can't provide it here, but it does say that "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required."
- The SFC /Scannow result can't find any error: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity Violations"
- Win 10 Build:1607 (OS Build 14393.447)
Hi, please compare performance
a. in Safe Mode
b. after a clean boot
c. if neither of those work properly, please try creating a new user profile for test purposes and try with that.
Also have a look at your reliability history around the time your PC showed these symptoms and see if anything is reported.
Presumably you've run a full AV scan.
Safe mode seems to be working fine, browsers has no issues i can access the settings fine, but Outlook doesn't seem to open.
For clean boot though same issue when loading normally, when I click on settings, start freezes and I can't access it anymore and ctrl+alt+del still shows a black screen.
I'll have to install a new AV on safe mode though, is Avira a good AV for this type of issue?
Last edited by SerPierre; 18 Dec 2016 at 06:17.
Hi, I've no experience of Outlook, and a quick search won't tell me if it can or cannot start when Windows is in Safe Mode- you could research that.
There is a Safe Mode for Outlook itself (Windows in Normal mode) which you can try, although I suspect the problem is elsewhere.
How to start Outlook in safe mode - Outlook Tips
My best guess is as before, try creating a new user for test purposes, and compare performance then. This is especially appropriate as you have found chkdsk and sfc /scannow are ok.
Note that if you have some form of user profile corruption, trying to repair system files or an in-place upgrade repair is not too likely to fix it. It's pretty quick to try creating a new user.
I've not used Avira on '10; Avast (free) has been problem free- Avira is very slightly better rated, although maybe more false positives.
Last edited by dalchina; 18 Dec 2016 at 10:32.
You may want to try a refresh or repair install. There is a good tutorial here listing various options for repair.
If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow
command up to 3 times with Fast Startup
turned off and restarting the computer
after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.
If not, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow
If still not, then do a system restore
using a restore point dated before the bad system file occurred to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a system restore until you find a older restore point that may work.
If still not, then you could do a repair install
without losing anything.
If still not, then you could refresh
I've been having BSOD quite frequently lately and I need help.. No idea what to do. Usually, it's been the Kernel Security Check Failure, then the Driver Check Failure (I believe that's what it was called... it was definitely driver related), then...
i have upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10 pro because of the newly designed start menu :D
but little did i realize until recently i came across alot of bugs with this distro, but i am not bashing win 10, after all it is new. i expect...
Easiest to explain the problem with a screenshot (attached). I use small icons, with text labels, never combined. Instead of the text of the icon filling the space to the right, I just get blank rectangular regions (with the contrast color peeking...
I just installed windows 10 onto my Lenovo Y510p today and I'm having multiple problems, mostly with the network connection. Anything that has something to do with microsoft or windows (microsoft edge, microsoft store, activation service, identity...
After the struggle to find out why I could not update to build 10041 I am finally running it. Thank you so much for the help, that is the only time I have actually received help from a forum. I thought all was good until I started having problems....