Windows 10: Cortana and settings options disappeared

  1.    13 Dec 2016 #1

    Cortana and settings options disappeared


    I recently noticed my task bar was emptier than before, and I realized cortana was missing. This led me to try and figure out why and I browsed many forums, and while looking at them I realized my settings in general were far more empty than everyone else's, many options just disappeared. My cortana search bar turned into just a regular search bar, and when I would try to search "cortana" to possibly turn it back on, the only result was "cortana & search settings." When I would click on that it would bring me to a virtually empty search settings page, with the only mention of cortana being a link saying "Learn more about Cortana & Search." I have attached a screenshot of my settings, any help is appreciated
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	settings empty.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	113427.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    13 Dec 2016 #2

    matrixxninja said: View Post
    I recently noticed my task bar was emptier than before, and I realized cortana was missing. This led me to try and figure out why and I browsed many forums, and while looking at them I realized my settings in general were far more empty than everyone else's, many options just disappeared. My cortana search bar turned into just a regular search bar, and when I would try to search "cortana" to possibly turn it back on, the only result was "cortana & search settings." When I would click on that it would bring me to a virtually empty search settings page, with the only mention of cortana being a link saying "Learn more about Cortana & Search." I have attached a screenshot of my settings, any help is appreciated
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	settings empty.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	113427.
    Hi matrixxninja and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Very unusual that there is no sign of Cortana. Is your language/region set to one that Cortana supports? Also have you updated to the latest W10 anniversary update? (If the 'all apps' button is shown in start, you need to update)

    Can you also check Task Manager to see if a process called 'Cortana' is running? (Just to check if its on or off)

    Finally are there any other settings missing? Sometimes system restore can help as well
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    13 Dec 2016 #3

    ellellell1 said: View Post
    Hi matrixxninja and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Very unusual that there is no sign of Cortana. Is your language/region set to one that Cortana supports? Also have you updated to the latest W10 anniversary update? (If the 'all apps' button is shown in start, you need to update)

    Can you also check Task Manager to see if a process called 'Cortana' is running? (Just to check if its on or off)

    Finally are there any other settings missing? Sometimes system restore can help as well
    My region and language is United states, english. One of the suggested solutions on the other forums I browsed was to update windows, so I had it check for updates and it said my windows was fully up to date. There is no process called "cortana" in my task manager, and lastly, I am unsure if my other settings are missing. Some screenshots I saw of other peoples settings had way more options than mine, not only on the settings page I was viewing, but they had many more icons running down the left hand side, while I only have the home icon.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Dec 2016 #4

    Have you been able to use Cortana before and have you experienced any problems with it then?
    What about trying a system restore?

    Also this could be of some use to you: Cortana Search Box Windows 10
    I would particually suggest step 3 and see if the problem still remains with a new user account.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    27 Dec 2016 #5

    I have the same issue, Cortana and Cortana's settings have disappeared, the process is still running, however, I have no way to re-activate anything
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 Dec 2016 #6

    Welcome to Ten Forums ChemicalRage

    ChemicalRage said: View Post
    I have the same issue, Cortana and Cortana's settings have disappeared, the process is still running, however, I have no way to re-activate anything
    .

    ellellell1 said: View Post
    Have you been able to use Cortana before and have you experienced any problems with it then?
    What about trying a system restore?

    Also this could be of some use to you: Cortana Search Box Windows 10
    I would particually suggest step 3 and see if the problem still remains with a new user account.

    Does a new user account fix the problem? We can then identify if it's just the account or the whole computer feature of Cortana.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    28 Dec 2016 #7

    Hi, this may give you a clue. Your Cortana may be disabled (unless sthg is broken). If you click on 'See in detail' it will open a page where the means by which Cortana is disabled is shown. (Or you could just find it on his site)

    This may help you to enable it- or if you were very lucky, you'd find the box checked in the GUI- and just uncheck it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-12-28 at 11.47.44.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	115035

    A very useful free tweaker- v. good reputation, updated regularly, free.

    Otherwise:
    - You could try re-registering Cortana (see Tutorial section, search re-register)
    - You could do an in-place upgrade repair (which keeps all programs and most settings).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Cortana just disappeared! in Software and Apps
Had an Update around Midnight last night and this Morning, I found Cortana has disappeared together with my reminders and no Microphone Symbol showing. Did anyone else have this problem?
Hi all, please help me to solve this problem. I am using Windows 10 Home edition. After i formatted it (still the same edition), i found that my Start Settings is different. This Settings suppose look like this, 102802 BUT, RIGHT NOW, it look...
Secondary sounds options disappeared? in Drivers and Hardware
When I was on Windows 7 I had 2 playback devices in my list. The first one was for my headphones which are plugged into the back of my computer and the second for my external speakers with are plugged into the slots at the front. I now for some...
Windows 10 settings/options??? in Network and Sharing
Hello all, I recently purchased a surface pro 3 and it is running windows 10. Everything works fine, except my wifi!!! :cry: It would lag when I'm streaming videos while using battery mode, but when I'm plugged in it works perfect. After lots of...
Hi I reserved and w10 home downloaded ok. Computer is working fine apart from Some default apps eg mail and Cortana don't work. Sign in options wont function, and credential manager wont start. I have manually downloaded some updates from...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:09.
Find Us