Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Home Edition
       03 Dec 2016 #1

    How do I solve the 'Thumbs.db in use' when trying to delete folders?


    Whenever I try and delete a folder, or multiple folders, I get an error message stating that the Thumb.db file is in use. It is very frustrating. Is there a relatively easy way to solve this problem?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	112312

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem 1.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	112311

    Many thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 3,085
    EL Capitan
       03 Dec 2016 #2

    Just tell it to skip. It is keeping the folder settings in that file. Deleting it sets the folder at a default setting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Home Edition
       03 Dec 2016 #3

    bro67 said: View Post
    Just tell it to skip. It is keeping the folder settings in that file. Deleting it sets the folder at a default setting.
    Skipping it doesn't help. It gives me the second error message [see above].
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    03 Dec 2016 #4

    Check the "Do this for all current items" checkbox in the first error screen and it should complete OK. It may leave the thumbs.db files behind but you can use a tool like Unlocker to get rid of them.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Home Edition
       03 Dec 2016 #5

    EdTittel said: View Post
    Check the "Do this for all current items" checkbox in the first error screen and it should complete OK. It may leave the thumbs.db files behind but you can use a tool like Unlocker to get rid of them.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
    I have tried that too. It makes no difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2016
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts : 309
    Windows 10 Professional
       03 Dec 2016 #6

    Get and install LockHunter
    Right click on the file "What is locking this file?"
    Follow the steps from there
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 3,085
    EL Capitan
       03 Dec 2016 #7

    Diwedd said: View Post
    Skipping it doesn't help. It gives me the second error message [see above].
    If it is in the list of things to delete, you need to hold down the Ctrl key and then click on it to not delete. Or when it comes up about it, check the box that states "Do this for current items", then click on Skip.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 3,085
    EL Capitan
       03 Dec 2016 #8

    pepanee said: View Post
    Get and install LockHunter
    Right click on the file "What is locking this file?"
    Follow the steps from there
    Windows locks it, because it holds the folder settings and file settings in that file.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jan 2016
    Green Valley, AZ
    Posts : 82
    Windows 10 (2), Win 8.1 (1), Win 7 (1)
       04 Dec 2016 #9

    It's very simple. Open a CMD prompt using "Run as administrator". Enter "del /a:s thumbs.db". If you have subfolders involved, you can do "del /s /a:s thumbs.db" to remove all of the thumbs.db in a folder structure. Then you can remove the folders themselves.

    JohnD
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 47
    Windows 10
       04 Dec 2016 #10

    Diwedd said: View Post
    Whenever I try and delete a folder, or multiple folders, I get an error message stating that the Thumb.db file is in use. It is very frustrating. Is there a relatively easy way to solve this problem?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	112312

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem 1.PNG 
Views:	31 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	112311

    Many thanks
    Sounds like Thumb.db is corrupted (which might be why you want to delete it)

    If you haven't already, try this
    Thumbnail Cache - Clear and Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    If that fails try it in Safe Mode
    Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

    Good luck
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved How do I delete old Windows folders???
Okay this is a hard question because I have been trying to do this for a while. I have two old Windows folders - 40 gig of wasted space. Here's what I have done: 1. renamed them 2. tried many times to delete them (or some of them). 3. removed...
General Support
Cannot delete tmp folders
Hi, small annoying problem, when I go to 'My PC' somehow I have a lot of temporary folders on my C: drive, and cannot get rid of them. Says that 'You require permission from the administrator to make these changes. I have tried using the command...
General Support
Which User Account Folders can I Delete?
I want to clean my laptop. I go into the "User" folder, and see all these user account folders. Because I am the only user on this laptop (admin), which folders can I delete? I am using the user "Chris" right now. Administrator Chris (I use this...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Folders and files that will not delete
I recently deleted some mp3 files and folders, then when I emptied the Recycle Bin I inadvertently answered "no" to the "are you sure you want to delete these files" question. Now they are sitting on my recent files / frequent folders page and will...
General Support
Can i Delete this Folders?
Can i Delete Folder $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS on C: Drive?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:49.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums