Windows 10: Windows Storage Spaces Questions
Windows Storage Spaces Questions
Hello everyone, I'm new to Windows Storage Spaces and have a few questions. In Windows 10 Pro, I have an enclosure/pool with 8 drives with a two way mirror storage space that has 1 column, and a 4 drive enclosure/pool with a parity storage space that has 3 columns. My questions are;
1. Can both of these spaces withstand only 1 drive failure, or is one better than the other?
2. If a drive fails on either of the pools will it begin to repair and assimilate the data onto the other drives automatically, or do I need to begin the repair process manually?
3. Once a repair process is done and a bad drive is removed at that point am I back to 1 drive fault tolerance again, even without adding another drive?
4. Does having 8 drives increase the resiliency or does it still allow for only 1 drive failure like if I were using only 2 drives?
5. What would happen to the 8 drive pool If I removed two drives at once, would any data be available or would the two may mirror storage space not even be visible?
I guess I'm just a little confused about the whole idea of columns particularly with my 8 drive pool two way mirror only having 1 column. I greatly appreciate any feedback to my questions, perhaps I'm not asking the right questions so feel free too inquire further if more information is needed. If answers to these specific questions are posted elsewhere please simply point me in the right direction.
Hi Berton, no I'm not trying to expand my storage spaces; though I did reply to a thread of which needed help in doing so.
I've recently added a couple of drives to my existing Storage Pool which is made up of the following drive sizes:
The pool is set for parity.
The total pool capacity showing is 18.1TB and currently using 8.27TB...
I was performing a removal of an HDD using the storage spaces feature (because it had the yellow exclamation) and the computer then went into sleep/hibernate mode and when I noticed I started the computer back up and then it showed that the Storage...
On my personal file server PC, I have two 1TB drives that are configured in Windows Storage Spaces to be I'm assuming a RAID1 array. Basically my two 1TB drives show up as one 1TB drive. Eventually I am going to replace Windows 10 with Server 2016...
Hi everyone, I'm using Win 7 and use Disk manager to span my 5 HDD's together into one drive. Been doing this for years. I am interested in using Storage Spaces (SS) to gain the benefit of parity. I just can't find the answers to these questions....
1.So I had windows 8.1 with storages spaces working fine
2.removed my windows 8.1 HD and put in a new HD installing windows 10
3.On windows 10 storage spaces is great and working fine
4. I noticed that I forgot to back up something on...