Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Jun 2015 #1
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 53
    Win 10 preview

    Can you get the upgrade but not install it for a year or more?


    Hi, unfortunately I will not be able to install win10 on my personal work laptop due to some of their software and programs. Will I be able to make an ISO or something so I can install it a year or more later when perhaps my company will support it with their software and programs?

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Jun 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    You should be able to do this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Jun 2015 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 53
    Win 10 preview
    Thread Starter

    Great thanks. I was worried I would have to buy it to install on this laptop when they finally support it.

    So I won't have to install it first and then downgrade back to 8.1?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Jun 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    Great thanks. I was worried I would have to buy it to install on this laptop when they finally support it.

    So I won't have to install it first and then downgrade back to 8.1?
    Assuming that we can get the ISO from MS I don't see the need to do that. Just get the ISO .. burn it to a DVD and then install it when you want to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Jun 2015 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 638
    Windows 7/64 Professional

    I'm of the belief that it wouldn't really matter.

    My understanding is the free trial period has a starting date and a ending date. It has nothing to do with when you
    install Windows 10. If you install Windows 10 1 month before the ending date you get 1 month free use.

    I'm open for corrections if this is not correct.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    14 Jun 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
    I'm of the belief that it wouldn't really matter.

    My understanding is the free trial period has a starting date and a ending date. It has nothing to do with when you
    install Windows 10. If you install Windows 10 1 month before the ending date you get 1 month free use.

    I'm open for corrections if this is not correct.
    Correct.. you should be able to get an ISO at any point during the give away and install it then or later.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Jun 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Okotoks
    Posts : 8,810
    Windows 10 Home x64 Windows 10 Prox64

    I would think you would have to activate your copy sometime in that year, I don't think those unactivated keys would be left as free in perpetuity.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    14 Jun 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,395
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Correct.. you should be able to get an ISO at any point during the give away and install it then or later.
    It depends how it works.
    My theory on how it will work is that you'll have to actually install the upgrade, and let it activate with that hardware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Jun 2015 #9
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,061
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    It depends how it works.
    My theory on how it will work is that you'll have to actually install the upgrade, and let it activate with that hardware.
    David I was thinking something similar, that it had to be activated it the one year time frame. Image old OS, install & activate new, re-image old....???
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    14 Jun 2015 #10
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 53
    Win 10 preview
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    David I was thinking something similar, that it had to be activated it the one year time frame. Image old OS, install & activate new, re-image old....???
    That is what I was wondering about too!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install
hi if i missed the article on upgrading please forgive, when win 10 is finally available, i want to do a fresh install, so does that mean when it comes out i have to update first to get my license then start all over again to install a fresh copy? i...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?
Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know.
General Support
Upgrading to Win 10 from a 2 year old Win 8.1 install - horrible idea?
So I have 10s of programs and little things setup exactly how I want them in win 8. Having to do a clean install and reconfigure everything when win 10 comes out seems like a nightmare. I know that by upgrading and not doing a clean install I'll...
General Support
Free upgrade during the first year
Sounds good, too good to be 'true'? No matter what I think of Windows 10, it would be kinda stupid not to take up Microsoft on the free upgrade particularly if, like me, you have a standby build of your OS on a separate HD just in case the main...
General Support
Upgrade install from W8.1.1 Pro X64 to W10 TP X64
I installed W10 TP as a VM under Oracle VB on two computers. 32 bit on one and 64 bit on the other. Both work very well and are reasonable quick as a VM. I decided I wanted to run it direct, so did a Macrium backup of my Acer laptop then did an...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums