Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    09 Jun 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10

    Should I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro or from Windows 8.1 Core?


    I have a new Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus laptop with Windows 8.1 Core. I also have Windows 7 Professional from my old laptop which died a few weeks ago.

    I'm thinking it could be a good idea to install Windows 7 Professional in the new Samsung so that it will give me a better upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available? I don't have experience upgrading operating systems, so I just want to be sure I'm thinking correctly about this. (I really don't care about not being able to use the touch screen until Windows 10 is available.)

    Thanks for any advice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 Jun 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I don't think it should matter if you upgrade from 7 or 8.1. Win10 is going to replace everything when installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Jun 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks; what version of 10 would I be getting?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Jun 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen1 View Post
    Thanks; what version of 10 would I be getting?
    From my understanding if you have Pro you would get Pro and Home would get Home..
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Jun 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,826
    OS X, Win 10

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    From my understanding if you have Pro you would get Pro and Home would get Home..
    . . .Really do like folks who stay on top of stuff. . .
    Last edited by Lee; 09 Jun 2015 at 21:41.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Jun 2015 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,442
    win 10 Insider

    I assume you are trying to get the 'best' version of win 10. Use win 7 and you will get win 10 pro.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    09 Jun 2015 #7
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 112
    Win 7

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I don't think it should matter if you upgrade from 7 or 8.1. Win10 is going to replace everything when installed.
    Totally agreed. No need to spend too much time on upgrading systems twice in a short period of time.
    But what if I'm not happy with Win 10, can I still get the old system back?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Jun 2015 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,826
    OS X, Win 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Molyy View Post
    Totally agreed. No need to spend too much time on upgrading systems twice in a short period of time.
    But what if I'm not happy with Win 10, can I still get the old system back?
    Yes. Either make a backup or as long as you have a serial key you can reinstall the OS of your choice. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    09 Jun 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,932
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegreen1 View Post
    I have a new Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus laptop with Windows 8.1 Core. I also have Windows 7 Professional from my old laptop which died a few weeks ago.

    I'm thinking it could be a good idea to install Windows 7 Professional in the new Samsung so that it will give me a better upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available? I don't have experience upgrading operating systems, so I just want to be sure I'm thinking correctly about this. (I really don't care about not being able to use the touch screen until Windows 10 is available.)

    Thanks for any advice.
    Blue, is your Windows 7 Professional a retail copy or did it come pre-installed on the laptop? If it's retail, you can put it on the new Samsung, but if it's OEM (pre-installed on the computer), you won't be able to install it on another computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    10 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I apologize for not getting back to this sooner - we've been dealing with some orthopedic issues.

    Thank you for the advice about installing Win 7 Pro in order to get the Pro version of Windows 10 when I accept the upgrade. (I do have the retail version of Windows 7 Pro that I installed on my previous machine.)

    But I would like to make a backup of the Windows 8.1 that came on my 9-week old Samsung - I have never made a backup copy of an OS before. Any advice on how to go about that? Thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Core i7 4790K not compatible with Win10?
Now what! I have reserved my copy of Windows 10 on my gamer-rig, which is a Intel Core i7 4790K CPU. When checking my system, this is now showing up http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/burgurne/win10_zpsmr72rr3m.jpg The text is in danish,...
Drivers and Hardware
List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
General Support
Solved How do I disable core parking in windows 10 build 10162
I have tried every tool possible and park control shows error changing power parameters and i am running it as administrator
Drivers and Hardware
Hardware & Drivers GPU - The Core Basics for Choosing One
Choosing a GPU - The Core Basics There are many factors to take into consideration these days when choosing a GPU. With the myriad of hardware combinations and multiple versions of numerous cards available its become somewhat of a minefield ...
Tutorials
Running on 1 core out of 4
Did anybody check Advanced Boot options in Msconfig. Seemed to me that my computer is booting too slow, checked those options and lo and behold it's been set to one core only. !!!! After fixing that it boots and run much faster.
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums