Windows 10: No drag and drop in Windows Explorer (and other oddities) Solved

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    10 Jun 2015 #11

    Edwin said: View Post
    @ loungebob :
    I read this somewhere, give it a try:
    Press Esc in the midst of dragging, it's been rumored to reset the DnD feature.
    Also try some others Shift/Drag,
    Ctrl/Shift/Drag or,
    right click Ctrl/Shift/Drag.
    Thanks, Edwin, tried all of those for hours. My problem doesnt seem to be the same as the ones where these reset DnD. See the attached pics, something (either Windows/Explorer or another app/setting) actively tells me I cannot drag anywhere outside the source folder (see red no circle) but within the source folder I can dnd move/copy just fine.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0002.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	21263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0003.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	21264

    Btw, IE11 on Win10 has no ability to upload pics here, it does not show the "browse" area for the local computer image.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,327
    Windows 10 Professional
       10 Jun 2015 #12

    loungebob said: View Post
    ...Btw, IE11 on Win10 has no ability to upload pics here, it does not show the "browse" area for the local computer image.
    When you reply or post click on 'Go Advanced', bottom right.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,327
    Windows 10 Professional
       10 Jun 2015 #13

    @ loungebob :
    Your icons look different; are you running some software to accomplish that?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    11 Jun 2015 #14

    You didn't say you were getting a red circle status indicator on the DnD. My assumption was that the drop target was not being recognized. This is a totally different problem than what I had been trying to help you troubleshoot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 Jun 2015 #15

    Edwin said: View Post
    @ loungebob :
    Your icons look different; are you running some software to accomplish that?
    No, not that I know of. It's the Win10 build 10130 full install. No Explorer add-ons. I did install Adobe CC & Acrobat and ACDSee. I will check if that's got anything to do with it. Would be surprised though, never has before. Which Icons are different?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    11 Jun 2015 #16

    Mystere said: View Post
    You didn't say you were getting a red circle status indicator on the DnD. My assumption was that the drop target was not being recognized. This is a totally different problem than what I had been trying to help you troubleshoot.
    Yes, I did.
    "I cannot drag and drop within Windows Explorer (sort of)
    - I can drag and drop within the same Folder/subfolder structure, e.g. on the right side of Windows Explorer I can dnd a file to a subfolder but I cannot dnd a file over to the left side (This PC) to any of the folders, nas drives, san drives or local drives (shows red crossed through circle)"

    Last part in brackets. Might not have found the right words to describe it though....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    12 Jun 2015 #17

    So, at the end of the rope and my patience.

    Installed and tested 2 alternative Windows Explorer apps and they both let me drag and drop wherever I want.

    So, this must be something within Windows Explorer blocking me, right? Or is that too simplistic?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    25 Jun 2015 #18

    Upgrading to 10147 solved the dnd issue. But even though I chose to upgrade and retain my old settings, some stuff windows just reset. One of those is the Libraries, Pictures, Downloads etc. folders in Explorer (which I removed through the registry). I have a slight suspicion that was the culprit. I'll fiddle with it a little later and see if it kills dnd again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    19 Jul 2015 #19

    loungebob said: View Post
    Upgrading to 10147 solved the dnd issue. But even though I chose to upgrade and retain my old settings, some stuff windows just reset. One of those is the Libraries, Pictures, Downloads etc. folders in Explorer (which I removed through the registry). I have a slight suspicion that was the culprit. I'll fiddle with it a little later and see if it kills dnd again.
    loungebob,

    I know it's been a few weeks since you posted this problem with DnD. I'm having the same problem and I also tweaked the registry to remove certain items from File Explorer. Do you know at this time whether the registry tweaks was causing the problem?

    JustDave
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    19 Jul 2015 #20

    Justdave said: View Post
    loungebob,

    I know it's been a few weeks since you posted this problem with DnD. I'm having the same problem and I also tweaked the registry to remove certain items from File Explorer. Do you know at this time whether the registry tweaks was causing the problem?

    JustDave
    If Drag and Drop worked before you tweaked the registry and it didn't after than it's the tweaks that did it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
I have been using VMware Workstation with various OS's for a while and think it's great. However with my Windows 10 x64 TP guest, even though I installed VM tools - it's almost like VM tools isn't running. I can't drag and drop files from host to VM...
drop down menu too long in Software and Apps
hello brain trust: using the win 10 tp now, so I'm here, but I've had this problem going back to xp, 7, 8 and 8.1. the problem is some drop downs from the top menu of a program are too long, forcing a long scroll by mouse wheel or clicking the...
Read more...
Read more at: http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-threshold-expected-to-add-virtual-desktops-drop-charms-7000032401/
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:26.
Find Us