Windows 10: Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4
    windows 10 build 10130
       08 Jun 2015 #1

    Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations


    I changed the location the of my Pictures folder from the default C:\users\myname\Pictures to D:\onedrive\pictures, Worked great until I decided to use new Google Photo on Google Drive. Using File Explorer, I moved all photos from D:\one drive\pictures to E:\Google Drive\Google Photos. Then went to library/Pictures/properties/location/move and selected my new folder E:\Google Drive\Google Photos, hit apply, responded no to 'do you want to move all the files' and got pop up 'Folder cant be moved here - Access Denied.

    I've tried restore to original, created other test folders on drive D and E - it wont save to any other location or restore to default location - get the Access denied.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 28
    Win10 Preview, latest version
       08 Jun 2015 #2

    DeputyDog65 said: View Post
    I changed the location the of my Pictures folder from the default C:\users\myname\Pictures to D:\onedrive\pictures, Worked great until I decided to use new Google Photo on Google Drive. Using File Explorer, I moved all photos from D:\one drive\pictures to E:\Google Drive\Google Photos. Then went to library/Pictures/properties/location/move and selected my new folder E:\Google Drive\Google Photos, hit apply, responded no to 'do you want to move all the files' and got pop up 'Folder cant be moved here - Access Denied.

    I've tried restore to original, created other test folders on drive D and E - it wont save to any other location or restore to default location - get the Access denied.
    Sorry, I'm not at my Win 10 installation atm, but can you right-click the default Pictures folder and select properties? If you can, try adding a new folder(Include a Folder) from that menu and it will make links to the folder, rather than physically moving the folder(s). I had similar permissions issues trying to move my music folder in Win 7 and this was how I got around it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4
    windows 10 build 10130
    Thread Starter
       08 Jun 2015 #3

    Steveo - nope. Added new folder, asked if I wanted to create, said yes, tried to apply - access denied.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 28
    Win10 Preview, latest version
       08 Jun 2015 #4

    Are you logged on with an administrator account?

    I'll try to recreate this error on my Win 10 shortly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 336
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32
       08 Jun 2015 #5

    The frequency of getting "Access Denied" can be minimized if you....
    1. Reduce the slider on UAC settings to its lowest setting. (almost like turning it OFF)
    2. Install "Grant Admin Full Control" so you can take ownership of any file or folder on the PC.

    Doing those two things can take much of the sting out of working with files and folders on Windows (all versions)

    Cheers mates!
    TechnoMage
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 28
    Win10 Preview, latest version
       08 Jun 2015 #6

    OK, it seems Win 10 has changed the functionality. When you click the properties of the Picture folder, there is a location tab, you can select to move the directory anywhere from there. You can even select OneDrive in the new menu. I was able to move my Picture folder to my data drive, and back to default with no issues. Moving it to OneDrive seems like more of a permanent feature, so I opted not to test that.

    I'm not sure why you are getting the error. Perhaps you could revert to an earlier restore point, and try again?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4
    windows 10 build 10130
    Thread Starter
       08 Jun 2015 #7

    Stevo said: View Post
    OK, it seems Win 10 has changed the functionality. When you click the properties of the Picture folder, there is a location tab, you can select to move the directory anywhere from there. You can even select OneDrive in the new menu. I was able to move my Picture folder to my data drive, and back to default with no issues. Moving it to OneDrive seems like more of a permanent feature, so I opted not to test that.

    I'm not sure why you are getting the error. Perhaps you could revert to an earlier restore point, and try again?
    Yes, It seems to have something to do with OneDrive - ounce you point it there, I don't think there is any going back, Matter of fact, I recall a popup that loosely 'may' have stated - do you want to do this? I can't be undone'. I'll keep looking for the solution and try TechnoMage suggestions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 28
    Win10 Preview, latest version
       08 Jun 2015 #8

    Here's a picture of that popup, but there's not any restore info there...
    ~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails popup2.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4
    windows 10 build 10130
    Thread Starter
       08 Jun 2015 #9

    Stevo said: View Post
    Here's a picture of that popup, but there's not any restore info there...
    ~
    From your screen shot - "ff you proceed... will not be able to ....restore default location." That's the message I saw - that's my problem - want to go back to default and then assign to Google Drive / Photos. Other thoughts?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       19 Jul 2015 #10

    Stevo said: View Post
    Here's a picture of that popup, but there's not any restore info there...
    ~
    Sorry for replying on an old post. I was passing by, and I have a solution for this.
    Basically the reason why you couldn't change the directory is because your Pictures folder is now merged with another system folder, the OneDrive Pictures folder. There's no way to separate them.
    But what you can do is to make the folder no longer an OneDrive folder. What I mean is you can unlink your PC from your OneDrive using OneDrive settings on the taskbar, then logging in to your OneDrive account, and pointing your OneDrive folder to another place. You don't need to sync anything really, just complete the login process, and your Pictures folder will no longer be a part of the OneDrive Pictures folder, which you can then move freely.
    Hope it helps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
How to Pin or Unpin Locations from Quick access in Windows 10 The Quick access page is the shortest route to files you've been working on and folders you often use. These are your frequent folders and recent files. Windows 10 introduces to...
Anyone know how to change the default Downloads folder in Edge in build 10159? I've looked through all the settings, including the Advanced ones, and there's nowhere to change this.
I get this when trying to launch e.g Battlefield 1942 and Robot Wars Arenas of Destruction and Robot Wars Extreme Destruction. Nothing seems to solve it. Not Run as Administrator, not compatibility mode, nothing! Anyone got any clue what it could...
Unable to delete folder, unable to change permissions, and unable to get One Drive to read to Documents folder correctly. I have attempted five times and each time it fails. So I try to delete the One Drive folder so I can reboot and try again,...
Solved Windows 10 Default Pictures in General Support
I don't know if I'm the only one or not, but I find the default pictures of Windows 10 quite amazing. So amazing in fact, that I want to use them in various other places, like, for example, on my other Windows 7 PC. Does anybody know their location...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:46.
Find Us