Windows 10: What exactly transfers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after Download.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 9
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
       07 Jun 2015 #1

    What exactly transfers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after Download.


    I'm not a computer whiz so bear with me on this one.

    After Windows 10 is downloaded into my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop currently running Windows 7 SP-1, will all of my pictures, files, desktop icons, etc. that are stored on this computer be transferred 'into' the Windows 10 OS, or will I lose them after the OS download?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,345
    Windows 10 Professional
       07 Jun 2015 #2

    Arizona said: View Post
    I'm not a computer whiz so bear with me on this one.

    After Windows 10 is downloaded into my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop currently running Windows 7 SP-1, will all of my pictures, files, desktop icons, etc. that are stored on this computer be transferred 'into' the Windows 10 OS, or will I lose them after the OS download?
    Welcome to W10F 'Arizona'!

    By rights, your files and settings should be saved but you will have to re-install your apps/programs;
    however, I would make backups of everything anyway!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    08 Jun 2015 #3

    Edwin said: View Post
    Welcome to W10F 'Arizona'!

    By rights, your files and settings should be saved but you will have to re-install your apps/programs;
    however, I would make backups of everything anyway!
    I was under the impression that Windows 10 will be an upgrade and most programs will not have to be reinstalled. Hence the discussion about being able to optionally do a clean install after the upgrade. Where's the documentation regarding this matter?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 25,653
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       08 Jun 2015 #4

    Probably no official documentation yet, but going from 8, to 8.1, then to 10 builds all Modern Store apps were carried over. Win32 desktop apps don't. Of course Modern Store apps wouldn't apply to the OP.

    I would imagine the usual pics, docs, etc. will carry over. IE favorites might, although there's a new browser. Desktop icons definitely wouldn't. Last I heard the upgrade assistant for Windows 10 is not yet available as Windows 10 is still in development phase. I suggest running that when released. General release is July 28. No set date for RTM yet.

    If upgrading and not fresh install there should be a Windows.old file created. Edwin's suggestion to backup everything is best. One should always perform that at least monthly if not weekly. Backup User and System Files - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    08 Jun 2015 #5

    If you have the Get Windows 10 app in you toolbar, do a check this PC

    If any apps/programmes need re installing this will tell you, I have an older Dell and this says a couple of things will need to be re installed
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 9
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
    Thread Starter
       08 Jun 2015 #6

    Thanks for all the quick and pertinent information regarding this new OS and files. I'll keep a daily eye on this forum so I don't encounter any major hurdles going over to 10. Though I really like 7, hope the OS10 is worth the change.

    I use my desktop icons in W7 all the time. Is there a file in Windows 7 that lists all of the addresses for my desktop icons that I can just copy or do I have to hand write them all down?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    08 Jun 2015 #7

    paulsalter said: View Post
    If you have the Get Windows 10 app in you toolbar, do a check this PC

    If any apps/programmes need re installing this will tell you, I have an older Dell and this says a couple of things will need to be re installed
    This is exactly the confusion I was asking about. If only certain (few?) programs need to be reinstalled then Win 10 is effectively an upgrade. If all programs need to be reinstalled because they were placed in windows.old then it is a new install with old program files saved for reference. Which is it?

    Of course a clean install is completely different. You have to save all your files separately that you will need. Effectively it is a new computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 9
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
    Thread Starter
       08 Jun 2015 #8

    WIN10 icon works


    Did the check on the WIN10 icon which shows 'no issues' and 'no app transfers'. So, supposedly, I will
    be good to go. All of my files and photos will transfer automatically with the WIN10 download. We'll see.
    Thanks for all the support.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 605
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       08 Jun 2015 #9

    Edwin said: View Post
    Welcome to W10F 'Arizona'!

    By rights, your files and settings should be saved but you will have to re-install your apps/programs;
    however, I would make backups of everything anyway!
    Definitely make backups, but no, you won't have to re-install your programs - the upgrade will bring everything along. I've tested Win7 to Win10 upgrades, and they work well. But, definitely back up important data, because you just never know...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 605
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       08 Jun 2015 #10

    CalBear37 said: View Post
    This is exactly the confusion I was asking about. If only certain (few?) programs need to be reinstalled then Win 10 is effectively an upgrade. If all programs need to be reinstalled because they were placed in windows.old then it is a new install with old program files saved for reference. Which is it?

    Of course a clean install is completely different. You have to save all your files separately that you will need. Effectively it is a new computer.
    It is an upgrade, and brings along all installed apps and data. I know, I've done it more than once since the Preview Program started.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Installation & Upgrade Download Windows 10 ISO File in Tutorials
How to Download a Windows 10 ISO File If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to download a Windows 10 ISO file that you can use to create your own installation media using either a USB...
Windows Update & Activation Choose How Windows Updates are Delivered in Windows 10 in Tutorials
Choose How Windows Updates are Delivered in Windows 10 Windows Update Delivery Optimization lets you get Windows updates and Windows Store apps from sources in addition to Microsoft. This can help you get updates and apps more quickly if you have...
Windows 10 download in General Support
Is windows 10 supposed to download on computers that signed up through that notification thing before the 29th? I ask this because since yesterday i have lost 10Gb of hard drive space and i have not download a thing
Unable to download windows 10 ISO in Installation and Upgrade
Hi, I am having this problem which drives me crazy for the last three days. Every time I download the technical preview, the sha1 of the downloaded ISO file is not the same as the one they provide at the download page. More than that, when I try to...
Windows 7 usb/dvd Download Tool in Software and Apps
Thanks for this forum. I am trying to create a bootable dvd in preparation for the test install of Windows 10. I am running Windows 7 pro 64-bit with all the updates. Not sure if the image worked. Here is the window I get when I run the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:59.
Find Us