1. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 15
    windows 10
       28 Oct 2016 #1

    Hibernate doesn't 'wakeup' after latest update


    After Win 10 last updated (Anniversary edition), When I use Hibernate and try to wake it up it will start and then stop at the windows symbol screen indefinitely. I have unchecked the Fast Boot-up per other instructions. Sleep works okay.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 2,959
    EL Capitan
       28 Oct 2016 #2

    Check the Energy report for Powercfg. Just remember when you run it, change to your Documents folder in the Command window. Otherwise the report gets saved to the System32 folder.

    If your S3 state is not getting the IRQ to start bringing everything back to life, then the Hibernate info is messed up. Go into Command and enter powercfg /hibernate off That will fully disable it. Then reboot and run Cleanup in Administrative tools folder to delete any junk left over with windows and reboot. Then if you want Hibernate enabled again, just go back into Command and enter powercfg /hibernate on
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 15
    windows 10
       29 Oct 2016 #3

    No Luck!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 2,959
    EL Capitan
       30 Oct 2016 #4

    Funkyecat said: View Post
    No Luck!
    You need to not just put in a model number, since Foxconn manufactures motherboards for all computer companies. It appears that you have a HP/Compaq, so I would check the Support site for your computer to see if they have a default ACPI driver. HP is one that has never worked right with Hibernate when XP SP3 came out. So it was suggested to just disable it and not use it. With the faster 3D SSD's and M.2 boards, you really do not even need Hibernate, since you can also get software that will take a snapshot of what you had running and when you log back in. Just does not work great with streaming video or games, so suggested to shut those programs down before shutting down.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 15
    windows 10
       30 Oct 2016 #5

    Hibernate


    bro67 said: View Post
    You need to not just put in a model number, since Foxconn manufactures motherboards for all computer companies. It appears that you have a HP/Compaq, so I would check the Support site for your computer to see if they have a default ACPI driver. HP is one that has never worked right with Hibernate when XP SP3 came out. So it was suggested to just disable it and not use it. With the faster 3D SSD's and M.2 boards, you really do not even need Hibernate, since you can also get software that will take a snapshot of what you had running and when you log back in. Just does not work great with streaming video or games, so suggested to shut those programs down before shutting down.
    It worked fine before MS latest anniversary update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 2,959
    EL Capitan
       31 Oct 2016 #6

    Funkyecat said: View Post
    It worked fine before MS latest anniversary update.
    Again Hibernate never worked for HP computers since XP SP3 was released. Hibernate is going to be going away with the fact as I stated, that the Operating Systems are allowing people to choose to reopen programs that were running before shutting down.

    Hibernate in AU became an issue with the Surface, so Microsoft did block it from being available. You are not even given the option on a Domain, which is because the feature is an evil in its own self. It does not surprise anyone that Microsoft loves to break their own Operating System. Especially with Windows 10. Redstone 2 is going to be another nightmare when it comes out, because it is a brand new Operating system of the 10 series and it is a push also with Hardware manufacturers and PC OEM's, that they are going to want people to buy new machines, even if they are a couple of years old.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 15
    windows 10
       31 Oct 2016 #7

    Hibernate


    bro67 said: View Post
    Again Hibernate never worked for HP computers since XP SP3 was released. Hibernate is going to be going away with the fact as I stated, that the Operating Systems are allowing people to choose to reopen programs that were running before shutting down.

    Hibernate in AU became an issue with the Surface, so Microsoft did block it from being available. You are not even given the option on a Domain, which is because the feature is an evil in its own self. It does not surprise anyone that Microsoft loves to break their own Operating System. Especially with Windows 10. Redstone 2 is going to be another nightmare when it comes out, because it is a brand new Operating system of the 10 series and it is a push also with Hardware manufacturers and PC OEM's, that they are going to want people to buy new machines, even if they are a couple of years old.
    Hibernate worked fine with my HP and Windows 7. It also worked fine when I installed Win 10 until, as I stated, the anniversary issue update
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 2,959
    EL Capitan
       31 Oct 2016 #8

    Funkyecat said: View Post
    Hibernate worked fine with my HP and Windows 7. It also worked fine when I installed Win 10 until, as I stated, the anniversary issue update
    Again Microsoft pulled it when they pushed AU, because it caused issues with the Surface and HP computers. Not the first time that they have pulled something out of the Windows package, because they broke their OS. A quick search online will confirm that they pulled it right after AU rolled out. Who knows if they will put the feature back, since it has been a headache since they implemented it when XP SP3 came out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 15
    windows 10
       31 Oct 2016 #9

    Okay, Thanx
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 2,959
    EL Capitan
       31 Oct 2016 #10

    Do not take it as being blunt. Just letting it out that if someone jumps on this, that the issue has been researched and what the only choice that people have at this point. This tells why they took it out. As I stated before when AU installed, if it saw an issue with Hibernate, AU did not install that service. Cannot find any other options out there that do the same function. A lot of that is because they never really worked right to begin with. Especially with so much housekeeping that needs to be done before the shutdown and when the OS starts back up. What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update | PCWorld

    Wi-Fi sense was another that was removed, along with Messaging Everywhere.

    Most people are limited on hard drive space when they are like me and keep all documents and media on a NAS and use a 64GB or 120GB SSD on a laptop. Hibernate can end up growing and taking up space that you would need if you do not always have a connection when you are on the go and do not like carrying a pocket drive or USB drive to keep programs on. SSD's do not handle Hibernate well, since it shortens the life of the drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
PC wakes up to hibernate (S4 Doze to Hibernate) when it's disabled
A strange occurrence has recently been annoying me on my desktop: I usually put my computer into sleep mode rather than shutting it down, but Windows has started deciding I really want to hibernate instead. Between 1 and 10 minutes after...
General Support
Is windows 10 latest big update included in latest media creation tool
Hi folks, When windows 10 was first released I downloaded it and burned to DVD using the media creation tool from Microsoft. As windows 10 has now had a major update, and I want to create a DVD with that update on it, without having to...
Installation and Setup
Windows 8.1, Windows 10 PC Doesn't Wake from Hibernate
Hi there, A while back I had an issue when upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 where the hibernate function stopped working. I went through my list of programs and drivers to remove and reinstall them over several days. Eventually, I gave...
Performance & Maintenance
WOL doesn't work if hibernate is activated
This problem drove me nuts and I tried every possible BIOS setting also went from Windows 10 own Broadcom drivers to older which didn't change anything. Then I found out it is related to hibernate, not using hibernate, but just having it activated....
Performance & Maintenance
10240 latest update - longer to download than ENTIRE update from 10162
Hi there I have a decent FAST internet -- but latest update (only a security update) seems to be taking LONGER than the ENTIRE update I did going from 10162 to 10240. 15 mins and STILL only at 6% ??? for a small security update. I know my...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums