Windows 10: SERIOUS HELP NEEDED: How To Store Files So They Can't Altered?
Ah, I see!
Is it possible to "lock" a folder to being "Read only" like by using a password?
I'm still trying to find answers for this problem so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could post an idea.
What’s wrong with the Read Only flag? In what way does this solution not satisfy your goal?
It sounds like a ridiculous question - how to store files so nobody can tamper with them - but let me state the obvious:
- No technical countermeasures will protect you against a malicious user.
- The user could modify or delete your files. They could format your hard drive etc.
- If somebody has access to your system then it's not your system anymore.
- You need physical protection if the threat of modification / deletion is your primary concern.
- Lock your laptop / storage media in a safe.
- Make multiple copies.
- If it's a shared computer or you can't lock your system away then you're screwed.
- Best workaround is to upload your files to the cloud - only you should have the password.
- Consider a separate Windows login. A determined user may still get around this.
- Use encryption software to keep the file secret. It won't stop somebody deleting the file.
Sorry, there's nothing else you can realistically do.
Your reply is very informative so I really appreciate it!
Clearly I need to do some more thinking about this problem.
Hi all, I DESPERATELY need some help here.
I've been using Dropbox for over 2 years now and I've been sharing my Dropbox account with other users. I've got some .PDF files stored in my Dropbox folder and I'm VERY worried that these .PDF files...
My PC has 2 HDD: one for OS and one for storage.
When I try to play music from the storage HDD, I get message about permission needed from SysAdmin (0x80070005). If I try to copy the music to other HDD, again Win10 denies permission.
The latest update installed when I turned my PC on this morning and my resolution has been changed. It's set slightly too large, with the display going outside the borders of the screen. The screen also seems to be a lot brighter than it was before....
When I type in the search box in the task bar, the results are only from the web and the store and not my files, folders or my settings on my pc.
This was working fine a few days ago.
The example below is when I typed "device manager"...
I recently tried to install windows 10 on my iMac (installed directly from my windows 8.1 bootcamp partition).
It took a very very long time to install, and when finished my monitor would flicker on and off every few seconds. When I...