Windows 10: Question About Going From Windows 10 Back to Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 7 Professional X64
       04 Jun 2015 #1

    Question About Going From Windows 10 Back to Windows 7


    Someone said that if you take Microsoft up on their free Windows 10 offer, and then decide to go back to Windows 7, you cannot, because the process of getting Windows 10 will invalidate your Windows 7 key. Is this true?

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Jun 2015 #2

    Nobody's sure yet. Therefore, if you are thinking you mite want to go back to Windows 7, don't reserve the upgrade yet. Wait until post-release to see what happens.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4
    Windows 7 Professional X64
    Thread Starter
       04 Jun 2015 #3

    bromanbro said: View Post
    Nobody's sure yet. Therefore, if you are thinking you mite want to go back to Windows 7, don't reserve the upgrade yet. Wait until post-release to see what happens.
    Thanks, my friend. I just cancelled my reservation until I hear more.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 Jun 2015 #4

    It's highly unlikely that your key would be invalidated. After all, what if the upgrade didn't work? You would need to be able to go back. It's just not logical to even believe MS would do that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 Jun 2015 #5

    Mystere said: View Post
    It's highly unlikely that your key would be invalidated. After all, what if the upgrade didn't work? You would need to be able to go back. It's just not logical to even believe MS would do that.
    MS mite want everyone on Win10. Plus, they don't want people selling their old keys on ebay and such. If that happened, nobody would buy Windows until 7 reached EOL
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    04 Jun 2015 #6

    bromanbro said: View Post
    MS mite want everyone on Win10. Plus, they don't want people selling their old keys on ebay and such. If that happened, nobody would buy Windows until 7 reached EOL
    Microsoft monitors Ebay for that sort of thing, and they get those auctions canceled.

    Regardless, this is no different than any other situation. When Windows 8 came out for $40 upgrade, people weren't selling their Windows 7 licenses on ebay... or Vista before that, or XP before that...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    04 Jun 2015 #7

    Mystere said: View Post
    Microsoft monitors Ebay for that sort of thing, and they get those auctions canceled.

    Regardless, this is no different than any other situation. When Windows 8 came out for $40 upgrade, people weren't selling their Windows 7 licenses on ebay... or Vista before that, or XP before that...
    Touche.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    05 Jun 2015 #8

    Hi there

    Just IMAGE your system (Acronis etc) - BEFORE applying for the W10 update.

    Then You've no problems in ANY scenario on RESTORE -- as your W7 installation would be exactly as before you wanted the upgrade -- no probs.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    05 Jun 2015 #9

    Mystere said: View Post
    It's highly unlikely that your key would be invalidated. After all, what if the upgrade didn't work? You would need to be able to go back. It's just not logical to even believe MS would do that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,841
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       08 Jun 2015 #10

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Just IMAGE your system (Acronis etc) - BEFORE applying for the W10 update.

    Then You've no problems in ANY scenario on RESTORE -- as your W7 installation would be exactly as before you wanted the upgrade -- no probs.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Windows 10 Upgrade Question in General Support
Does anyone know yet if there will be a way to request a physical copy of Windows 10 if you are using the free upgrade? I would love to have a physical copy as a backup and would prefer an official copy of such to just putting it on a USB drive or...
Windows.old question in General Support
So, I'm a little worried about doing the upcoming upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10. Because during upgrades it creates a windows.old folder which is almost has a complete backup of your C: drive. My only problem is, I have a 120gb SSD and 100gb is...
Windows 10 Installation Question?. in Installation and Upgrade
I have just registered to upgrade my Windows 7 SP1 OS to Windows 10 when it becomes available. My question is, will the install be over the top of Win7 where I keep my programs, data etc, etc or will it be necessary to do a clean reinstall of the...
Windows 10 Installion Question in Installation and Upgrade
Hi, So I signed up and started to download windows 10, however I was thinking that I was going to get like a download manger that download windows 10 iso, I discovered there was another way. Anyway I got a message on my PC after download that to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:32.
Find Us