Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    19 Oct 2016 #21
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 128
    win 7 pro updated to win 10 pro 64bit
    Thread Starter

    Nope - Now if you disable Cortana (in Win10 pro)you get nothing - the whole point of my posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello carrotmuseum,

    If you disable Cortana, you should see a search icon or search icon on the search box instead of a Cortana icon on the taskbar.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...0-taskbar.html

    Attachment 106709
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    19 Oct 2016 #22
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,390
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017

    After you disabled Cortana and restarted explorer, do you have Show search icon selected (checked)?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    19 Oct 2016 #23
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 88
    Windows 10 pro 64bit

    @Brink, one of the latest updates means the closest you can get is to sign out:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cortana-signout-w10au2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	106713

    gives you this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menusearch.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	106714

    It no longer has offline only mode in the settings etc. (and always uses the cortana circle, even after a reboot)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    19 Oct 2016 #24
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,390
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017

    Quote Originally Posted by aramil View Post
    @Brink, one of the latest updates means the closest you can get is to sign out:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cortana-signout-w10au2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	106713

    gives you this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menusearch.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	106714

    It no longer has offline only mode in the settings etc. (and always uses the cortana circle, even after a reboot)
    Hello Aramil,

    That would be to turn off Cortana,...

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

    ...but you can still disable Cortana.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    19 Oct 2016 #25
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 88
    Windows 10 pro 64bit

    Just checked now and the GpEdit still works on Windows 10 AU Pro 64bit

    Search glass on the taskbar with no cortana "stuff". Thanks @Brink
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    19 Oct 2016 #26
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 128
    win 7 pro updated to win 10 pro 64bit
    Thread Starter

    GPEDIT means what?
    Quote Originally Posted by aramil View Post
    Just checked now and the GpEdit still works on Windows 10 AU Pro 64bit

    Search glass on the taskbar with no cortana "stuff". Thanks @Brink
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    19 Oct 2016 #27
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 128
    win 7 pro updated to win 10 pro 64bit
    Thread Starter

    I have three options = hide- show cortana icon - show search box None of these gives the simple mag glass search icon I had previously. If I select show search icon it gives that darned Circle with Ask me anything (which IS CORTANA!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    After you disabled Cortana and restarted explorer, do you have Show search icon selected (checked)?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    19 Oct 2016 #28
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,390
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017

    Quote Originally Posted by carrotmuseum View Post
    I have three options = hide- show cortana icon - show search box None of these gives the simple mag glass search icon I had previously. If I select show search icon it gives that darned Circle with Ask me anything (which IS CORTANA!!!!)
    It sounds like you didn't use the method in the tutorial below to disable Cortana first.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    19 Oct 2016 #29
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 88
    Windows 10 pro 64bit

    to run type "gpedit" in seach (cortana) and select "edit Group Policy" and follow the instruction brink linked to above "option one"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    19 Oct 2016 #30
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 24,390
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17017

    Quote Originally Posted by aramil View Post
    Just checked now and the GpEdit still works on Windows 10 AU Pro 64bit

    Search glass on the taskbar with no cortana "stuff". Thanks @Brink
    You're most welcome.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Customization Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10
How to Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 The Search box on your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows. It also allows you to be able to turn on or off to have Cortana give you suggestions,...
Tutorials
Missing "search" icon from taskbar & other issues after last update
Hi All, After the recent 'Anniversary Update', I noticed that several things have either gone missing, or need to be re-set. The first thing I noticed was that the icon for "Search", (the little magnifying glass icon), is missing from my taskbar....
General Support
Solved search icon on taskbar
I have both desktop and laptop set up on 10. The desktop has "Search the web and Windows" on the task bar. It's not on the laptop. How do I get it. Thanks.
General Support
Windows 10 windows button,search and audio icon on taskbar wont start
So i recently installed windows 10 and everything was good in the beggining but suddenly the windows button,search and audio on the taskbar just wont start. I press them and nothing happens. The only way for me to turn of my laptop is to ctrl alt...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:36.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums