Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1.    04 Jun 2015 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Manchester CT
    Posts : 361
    Windows 10 Fast Ring

    Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10


    How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways.

    Hopefully MS will include a discount for us early buyers or for those with Win7 or Win8.1 licenses.

    EDIT: Oops, I did NOT realize that the free upgrade was permanent! The confusion was caused by the One Year to cash in on the free upgrade! I thought that it was free only for one year and then you had to buy a permanent license.
    Last edited by John Pombrio; 04 Jun 2015 at 22:04.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Jun 2015 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 11,031
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    I'm waiting to see how things iron out. Supposedly if you have a retail version it may remain a retail version(Transferable). I own several copies of W7 and W8. Will go with free upgrade first with a few licenses and see what happens before deciding.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    04 Jun 2015 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Wolves, England
    Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM

    Quote Originally Posted by John Pombrio View Post
    How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways.
    Does the bolded part mean you think that the W10 license will run out after one year? It won't, if you upgrade a retail version of 7/8/8.1 those retail privelages carry over to the 10 license. Sorry if I read your post wrong.

    Either way I'll buy a copy anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    04 Jun 2015 #4
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 176
    Win 10 Pro x64

    I'm under the impression that once you upgrade to win 10 they will give you a normal product key. You should be able to reinstall windows after the 1 year period with this key without a problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    04 Jun 2015 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 70
    WIndows 10 Pro x64

    I would buy a full copy of the Pro x64 version if they had a good discount on it, even though it is free for 1 year I would still like to have a official disc as a backup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    04 Jun 2015 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    I will also buy a retail copy of W10. I only have a single license for both W8.1 Pro and W7 Home Premium and I don't want to give either OS up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    04 Jun 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Manchester CT
    Posts : 361
    Windows 10 Fast Ring
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    Does the bolded part mean you think that the W10 license will run out after one year? It won't, if you upgrade a retail version of 7/8/8.1 those retail privileges carry over to the 10 license. Sorry if I read your post wrong.

    Either way I'll buy a copy anyway.
    Nope, I completely misinterpreted the "one year" part. I updated my original post. I will leave the post tho in case anyone else got the same impression as me that the upgrade itself was good for a limited time instead of the true answer that the OFFER for a free upgrade was only good for a year.

    I have tons of Win 7 and Win 8.1 licenses from Technet that I can convert over (hopefully technet licenses work for this).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    05 Jun 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10

    I'm using Windows 8.1, so upgrading should be a better choice anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    05 Jun 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 8
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by John Pombrio View Post
    Nope, I completely misinterpreted the "one year" part. I updated my original post. I will leave the post tho in case anyone else got the same impression as me that the upgrade itself was good for a limited time instead of the true answer that the OFFER for a free upgrade was only good for a year.


    I have tons of Win 7 and Win 8.1 licenses from Technet that I can convert over (hopefully technet licenses work for this).
    Have any of your technet licensed machines shown the "reserve windows 10" icon in the taskbar?
    Mine have not, so I'm thinking they may not be eligible for the upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    05 Jun 2015 #10
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10 Pro (x64)

    Quote Originally Posted by owensjc View Post
    Have any of your technet licensed machines shown the "reserve windows 10" icon in the taskbar?
    Mine have not, so I'm thinking they may not be eligible for the upgrade.
    Of course the Technet keys are not eligible for the upgrade. Those are for testing! Besides if you have an active Technet account you can get Windows 10 the same way you get every version of Windows on Technet.

    But of course Technet Subscription has gone away so one will not be exploiting that any more.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
The free Windows 10 upgrade means users won't be buying New PCs
Sorry, PC vendors: The free Windows 10 upgrade means users won't be buying new PCs | PCWorld
Windows 10 News
Question About Free Upgrade To Win10
I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded?
General Support
Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10
Read more here: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Windows 10? | CITEworld
Windows 10 News
Windows 9 Completely Free for Users Buying Windows 8.1 Update 2 – Report
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:51.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums