Windows 10: Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10 Solved

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    05 Jun 2015 #11

    owensjc said: View Post
    Have any of your technet licensed machines shown the "reserve windows 10" icon in the taskbar?
    Mine have not, so I'm thinking they may not be eligible for the upgrade.
    Kind of sort of. My desktop PC is running Windows 8.1 Pro with a TechNet key, but I also added Media Center. I was able to reserve my upgrade via the notifications ICON.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Jun 2015 #12

    logicearth said: View Post
    Of course the Technet keys are not eligible for the upgrade. Those are for testing! Besides if you have an active Technet account you can get Windows 10 the same way you get every version of Windows on Technet.

    But of course Technet Subscription has gone away so one will not be exploiting that any more.
    My TechNet and MSDN keys are listed as Retail Keys. Was also able to reserve my upgrade on a PC using a TechNet key, I think anyway. I also added Media Center, not sure if that matters or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 Jun 2015 #13

    Anyway, since I have MSDN, I won't be buying Windows 10. I'll get keys when its released anyway, and ISO's to download. If I didn't have MSDN, I likely still wouldn't buy it, I'd go the free upgrade route. I have limited finances which means I go cheap most of the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,421
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       05 Jun 2015 #14

    hope now ones watching since TechNet is now defunct you are suppose to shred those old keys, I got rid of all mine ,no really I did ,honest Officer Bill ,I did ,

    in 2009 I got TechNet as part of the MVP program ,and at the time tey were giving 10keys for each version and a one key Multi enterprise version of win7 and Vista
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 697
    Windows 10 1703 Pro 64
       06 Jun 2015 #15

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Kind of sort of. My desktop PC is running Windows 8.1 Pro with a TechNet key, but I also added Media Center. I was able to reserve my upgrade via the notifications ICON.
    Same here.

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 16,491
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       06 Jun 2015 #16

    caperjack said: View Post
    hope now ones watching since TechNet is now defunct you are suppose to shred those old keys, I got rid of all mine ,no really I did ,honest Officer Bill ,I did ,

    in 2009 I got TechNet as part of the MVP program ,and at the time tey were giving 10keys for each version and a one key Multi enterprise version of win7 and Vista
    I'm not an MVP nor did I subscribe to TechNet, but I found this about the keys: http://www.zdnet.com/article/five-th...time-runs-out/
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    06 Jun 2015 #17

    I got TechNet and MSDN as part of being a Microsoft MVP. I've done several reinstalls with those keys on my PC's with no issues. Always on the same PC they were originally used on. I went from Windows 8.0 keys to 8.1 keys but now that 8.1 will accept 8.0 keys I went back to those. I'm still testing and still an MVP so I'll keep using them. TechNet is dead but you can still log in to the site. You can't download any files or get new keys but you can look over the keys you have. I can still export my key xml file as a record of what keys I have. Anyway, that's all I'll say on that. I don't want to sidetrack the thread and take it off topic any further.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    06 Jun 2015 #18

    owensjc said: View Post
    Have any of your technet licensed machines shown the "reserve windows 10" icon in the taskbar?
    Mine have not, so I'm thinking they may not be eligible for the upgrade.
    logicearth said: View Post
    Of course the Technet keys are not eligible for the upgrade. Those are for testing! Besides if you have an active Technet account you can get Windows 10 the same way you get every version of Windows on Technet.

    But of course Technet Subscription has gone away so one will not be exploiting that any more.
    I'm using a copy of WIn8.1 that I got via TechNet and I'm eligible to upgrade to Win10 with that key/license.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    06 Jun 2015 #19

    caperjack said: View Post
    hope now ones watching since TechNet is now defunct you are suppose to shred those old keys, I got rid of all mine ,no really I did ,honest Officer Bill ,I did ,

    in 2009 I got TechNet as part of the MVP program ,and at the time tey were giving 10keys for each version and a one key Multi enterprise version of win7 and Vista
    Where did you read this?? I'm still using my TechNet copy of Win8.1 and I have no issues with activation and I'm eligible to reserve a copy of Win10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,421
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       06 Jun 2015 #20

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Where did you read this?? I'm still using my TechNet copy of Win8.1 and I have no issues with activation and I'm eligible to reserve a copy of Win10.
    not sure its been a few years ,but I think it was in the MVP program agreement ,or an email I received even,but again I'm not sure ,I could be just dreaming .lol

    I'm not saying they don't and wont work ,I'm still evaluating them myself ,as are my employees, at The Friendly Key Society of Cape Breton
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Sorry, PC vendors: The free Windows 10 upgrade means users won't be buying new PCs | PCWorld
I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded?
Read more here: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Windows 10? | CITEworld

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33.
Find Us