Windows 10: Anniversary update killed my laptop Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    08 Oct 2016 #11

    If you don't "clean" the Disk (delete all partitions) before Clean Installing Win10 on GPT or MBR Disks it will reuse existing partitions (and add some possibly) , as it appears it has on your's Matthew . If there is no System Partition like if Win7 , was on the Disk 1st, Win10 will put the Boot files in the C:\EFI Folder instead (perhaps C:\boot? I don't have MBR now to check)

    If the recovery Partition is empty , then the recovery files may also be on C:\ ..... in C:\Windows\Recovery

    Minitool Partition Wizard makes things easy to see and you can "explore" partition that windows won't let you view normally as well. You can use the Portable version if you don't want to install it (or get Loader.exe errors)

    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    08 Oct 2016 #12

    second try

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	105053
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Oct 2016 #13

    Better

    Both drives look like you deleted the Win7 system partitions off at some point ? both have 100mb unallocated at the front end. Not sure why one is set as logical (normally Primary unless more that 4 partition) , not sure why the 2nd one is set to dynamic either ?

    Even on MBR disk's the Recovery Partition is Usually the 1st partition but if Win10 finds one too small it will add one to the End with the latest Recovery Files for the Win10 Version you are installing.

    Maybe time for a House Cleaning

    I ran into an issue with Win10 AU and my MBR disk back in Aug. it would not install on an MBR Disk I had upgraded from win7 this post shows what I did to fix that and convert my Drives to GPT at the same time

    https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...-mbr-disk.html


    the short version I posted in another Thread today

    Did Windows Give UP on the Win 10 Anniversary Update?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 Oct 2016 #14

    Kbird said: View Post
    If you don't "clean" the Disk (delete all partitions) before Clean Installing Win10 on GPT or MBR Disks it will reuse existing partitions (and add some possibly) , as it appears it has on your's Matthew .
    I had deleted the Windows partition and installed 1607 in the ensuing unallocated space, from which Windows setup created the system reserved partition shown in post #10. No old partitions were used during the clean installation.

    Kbird said: View Post
    If the recovery Partition is empty , then the recovery files may also be on C:\ ..... in C:\Windows\Recovery
    There was no recovery partition before the clean installation, during which Windows setup created the system reserved partition. Now C:\Windows\Recovery is empty.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Oct 2016 #15

    Kbird said: View Post
    Better

    Both drives look like you deleted the Win7 system partitions off at some point ? both have 100mb unallocated at the front end. Not sure why one is set as logical (normally Primary unless more that 4 partition) , not sure why the 2nd one is set to dynamic either ?

    Even on MBR disk's the Recovery Partition is Usually the 1st partition but if Win10 finds one too small it will add one to the End with the latest Recovery Files for the Win10 Version you are installing.

    Maybe time for a House Cleaning

    I ran into an issue with Win10 AU and my MBR disk back in Aug. it would not install on an MBR Disk I had upgraded from win7 this post shows what I did to fix that and convert my Drives to GPT at the same time

    https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...-mbr-disk.html


    the short version I posted in another Thread today

    Did Windows Give UP on the Win 10 Anniversary Update?
    No idea why its dynamic, is that something I should change? I dont see it causing any issues.
    To give some detail: My XPS17 came pre-installed with Win7 on a 1TB HDD. I later replaced it with a 256gb SSD and und moved the old HDD to the second slot, using it solely for files and games. Why G: is split into two I really have no idea.. E: Recovery is the Dell default recovery partition, which I didnt touch.

    Anyhow my daily machine is now my new desktop so I hardly ever use the notebook. Really don't feel like investing time in it if ain't broke. Updating to win10 was already a headache as it officially doesn't support it (most drivers not available from Dell)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Oct 2016 #16

    Vipe said: View Post
    No idea why its dynamic, is that something I should change? I dont see it causing any issues.
    To give some detail: My XPS17 came pre-installed with Win7 on a 1TB HDD. I later replaced it with a 256gb SSD and und moved the old HDD to the second slot, using it solely for files and games. Why G: is split into two I really have no idea.. E: Recovery is the Dell default recovery partition, which I didnt touch.

    Anyhow my daily machine is now my new desktop so I hardly ever use the notebook. Really don't feel like investing time in it if ain't broke. Updating to win10 was already a headache as it officially doesn't support it (most drivers not available from Dell)

    Dynamic is usually used only if you are Using Software Raid for stripping or Mirroring etc so on a laptop I am not sure ,technically I think you have "Volumes" not partitions at the moment but I think you need delete all partition and set it up again as a GPT disk to get rid of the Dynamic setting , which if you have an External Drive for Backups ( you should) is a fairly easy thing to do.

    more info on dynamic disks https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

    You no longer need E:\ since you are now on Win10 , (its the Win7 Reset partition) so cleaning up that Drive will gain you that space too.

    If you need more advice on how to proceed, if you want to, just post back here...

    KB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    09 Oct 2016 #17

    Matthew Wai said: View Post
    I had deleted the Windows partition and installed 1607 in the ensuing unallocated space, from which Windows setup created the system reserved partition shown in post #10. No old partitions were used during the clean installation.


    There was no recovery partition before the clean installation, during which Windows setup created the system reserved partition. Now C:\Windows\Recovery is empty.
    I am not sure why you have an MBR Disk with a 500MB Recovery unless D:\ is a partition on the Same HDD? , in which Case Win10 would not alter that as you would loss Data. A GPT Disk would have 450mb-100mb-16mb and C:\ xxxGB Partitions.


    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    09 Oct 2016 #18

    Kbird said: View Post
    D:\ is a partition on the Same HDD?
    Yes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Oct 2016 #19

    Matthew Wai said: View Post
    Yes.
    Ok Matthew , just so we are clear I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with your Installation, in your circimstances .


    KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
I downloaded and installed the Anniversary update on my Dell laptop last week. Since then, I've been having trouble with the laptop's WiFi adapter setting getting changed from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS...
This was really crazy. I have a hdd where I keep all my keep many things. So after the clean install, I go to my D: drive and it was wiped clean and wants to be formatted as UDF 201 First time I heard anything about this file system. ...
OK so I have an Asus Zenbook Prime(UX31A) Ultrabook. It was purchased in 2013 and came with Windows 8 x64 Pro installed. The specs are Ö Intel i7, 256gig SSD drive, 4gig memory. Iíve since updated it to 8.1, then ultimately to Windows 10 Pro TH2...
97632Hi I have now got the Anniversary update on my laptop and not everything is the same .My sticky notes have vanished , I can't open windows store , other apps don't open , I am also getting a box saying , you need to get an app from the store...
KB3093266 killed Windows update service in Windows Updates and Activation
So yesterday I installed KB3093266, the update went threw and update fine as far as i knew. After the reboot config system was up. I didnt start to get suspicious till I noticed I never got AC notification about the install, So I reboot...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:24.
Find Us