Windows 10: Will the Preview become RTM with a real key?

  1.    01 Jun 2015 #1

    Will the Preview become RTM with a real key?


    Hi,
    I think I have read somewhere that a preview Win 10 install will become, though updates, an RTM version. If so great. But, again, if so, will there be a unique key that can be used to reinstall it on a clean partition on the same computer if it becomes corrupted ? Will that key work after year limit apply of the free upgrade?
    Will we able to use the free 'upgrade' ISO to install on a clean partition, like we have been able to do in the past? I want to keep my installs of Win7 & win 8.1, and do a multi -boot system. Will the free iso install work if it is reinstalled after 1 year from release date?
    Also I upgrade my system components often, What will happen if I upgrade my motherboard/cpu/mem because Intel likes to change socket sizes every other year. (when I do this, I revert all drivers back to those from MS, swap MB's, boot and let winX rediscovery all the hardware, then load correct OEM drivers)
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Jun 2015 #2

    MS has released very little info to answer all your questions. If you do the free upgrade you won't be able to use the qualifying OS to dual boot. or at least legally. The free upgrade would also not be legal to use if you change the motherboard. The free upgrade is only good for the life of the computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       02 Jun 2015 #3

    KLund1 said: View Post
    Hi,
    I think I have read somewhere that a preview Win 10 install will become, though updates, an RTM version. If so great. But, again, if so, will there be a unique key that can be used to reinstall it on a clean partition on the same computer if it becomes corrupted ? Will that key work after year limit apply of the free upgrade?
    No the Insider Preview won't update to RTM version without using a qualifying Windows 7/8.1 license. Whether you'll be able to upgrade directly from the Insider Preview has yet to be seen, but Gabe Aul did say it was possible. As for the second part of that question; nobody knows yet as we haven't got there.

    KLund1 said: View Post
    Will we able to use the free 'upgrade' ISO to install on a clean partition, like we have been able to do in the past? I want to keep my installs of Win7 & win 8.1, and do a multi -boot system. Will the free iso install work if it is reinstalled after 1 year from release date?
    Again, we can't see into the future so who knows?

    KLund1 said: View Post
    Also I upgrade my system components often, What will happen if I upgrade my motherboard/cpu/mem because Intel likes to change socket sizes every other year. (when I do this, I revert all drivers back to those from MS, swap MB's, boot and let winX rediscovery all the hardware, then load correct OEM drivers)
    Thanks
    If you upgrade the motherboard without a retail version of Windows you'll need to either use a new OEM copy of Windows or call MS and hope you get lucky with activation, this has always been the way. Whether it's any different with W10 is anybody's guess. Basically most of your questions can't be answered as nobody has got to that point yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    02 Jun 2015 #4

    heres the microsoft confirmed deployment choices (if it helps you)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deployment-choices.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	20525
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       02 Jun 2015 #5

    Inject drivers? Better get hold of some syringes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
We tried using Windows 10 for real work and ... oh, the HORRORS Better, worse, prettier or uglier?Read more at The Register: We tried using Windows 10 for real work and ... oh, the HORRORS • The Register Comments welcome...
Hi there Having got a VM working just the way I want it I wanted to install this on a laptop as a PHYSICAL machine. (VMWARE Easy way : 1) From WITHIN the VM -- uninstall VMWARE tools or VBOX additions etc. 2) Run acronis or other imaging...
Click to zoom in on your area. Wind Map
Hi there doesn't *appear* to affect the running of the W10 system but I seem to get memory error message quite frequently at system shutdown. Doesn't call for a dump or anything - so I'm just ignoring --it IS a TEST system !!!. Cheers jimbo
For years, decades, you could put all of alternative desktops Linux, Mac, whatever together and Windows would still beat them by ten to one. That was then. This is now. Today, Windows 8.x's is still stalled out in the marketplace, Chromebooks...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:21.
Find Us