Windows 10: Window 10 Broke My Computer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    24 Sep 2016 #1

    Window 10 Broke My Computer


    Earlier today, Sept. 24, 2016, Microsoft pushed an apparently routine update on my laptop when I was putting it in "sleep" mode. It was one of those "This Will Take A While" updates. Since then, my laptop has refused to even start. It is permanently stuck in startup mode. The laptop is a fairly recent Dell, came with Windows 8. I installed Windows 10 some months ago and have regretted it ever since as it causes the laptop to crash frequently. Nevertheless, it is now totally utterly unusable. Got any suggestions? (I am currently using an old Windows 7 that I dug out of a drawer.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    24 Sep 2016 #2

    Restore to an earlier date. Start with pressing cntl alt delete while you are looking at that blue screen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 Sep 2016 #3

    Using Windows Restore is probably a good idea, as suggested by "seattle".

    One way to get into it reliably is to make a bootable USB installation drive.


    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html


    (You can use it for other things than installing Windows.)

    Are you still under support from Dell? I have no idea how good their support is these days. I expect that they are ill-trained script readers, but it's possible that they are better than that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    25 Sep 2016 #4

    There Is No Blue Screen!


    seattle said: View Post
    Restore to an earlier date. Start with pressing cntl alt delete while you are looking at that blue screen.
    This does not work. The blue screen does not appear. The Windows logo appears on a black background, followed by the Dell logo on a black screen, followed by a black screen. Then this process repeats endlessly. Ctl-alt-del does nothing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Home build 1511
       25 Sep 2016 #5

    I had the same problem after an update ran. Turns out the culprit was Razer installing some software alongside the WIndows 10 upgrade that broke my display adapter. I was able to disable it in safe mode and get my display back so I could fix the other multiple issues this upgrade caused. If you can see the monitor at the start screen you can enter safe mode by holding the shift key while clicking on the power icon and hitting restart. It will restart to a screen with various options including boot into safe mode and safe mode with networking. If you can't get as far as the start screen you can try the F8 os shift+F8 trick during restart but no guarantees that will work. Your best bet is to use your working computer to create a bootable USB as bobkn suggested and use that to repair windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    25 Sep 2016 #6

    kbennett65 said: View Post
    I had the same problem after an update ran. Turns out the culprit was Razer installing some software alongside the WIndows 10 upgrade that broke my display adapter. I was able to disable it in safe mode and get my display back so I could fix the other multiple issues this upgrade caused. If you can see the monitor at the start screen you can enter safe mode by holding the shift key while clicking on the power icon and hitting restart. It will restart to a screen with various options including boot into safe mode and safe mode with networking. If you can't get as far as the start screen you can try the F8 os shift+F8 trick during restart but no guarantees that will work. Your best bet is to use your working computer to create a bootable USB as bobkn suggested and use that to repair windows.
    What did you get rid of? I'm having the same exact issue now and am currently without any gfx drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    25 Sep 2016 #7

    I am rapidly despairing of any possibility of repairing my laptop. I went out and bought a USB drive, and can't download Windows 10 to it. Microsoft says it can't "FIND" the flash drive, although why is a mystery to me. I have tried every port on this old PC, and have rebooted numerous times with no success. I cannot get into "safe" mode on the busted laptop. I cannot do anything with the busted laptop, and it has my whole freaking life on it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Home build 1511
       25 Sep 2016 #8

    Kbennett65


    Rise said: View Post
    What did you get rid of? I'm having the same exact issue now and am currently without any gfx drivers.
    Razer Firefly and Razer Synapse were the culprits for me. It seems if you have any Razer products the software and drivers install with Windows. There is no way to prevent it that I can find as Windows treats it like an important update.
    I wasted hours figuring it out which makes me more than a little mad as the only Razer product I have is a mouse pad that certainly doesn't need any software or drivers
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    25 Sep 2016 #9

    CarolKopp said: View Post
    I am rapidly despairing of any possibility of repairing my laptop. I went out and bought a USB drive, and can't download Windows 10 to it. Microsoft says it can't "FIND" the flash drive, although why is a mystery to me. I have tried every port on this old PC, and have rebooted numerous times with no success. I cannot get into "safe" mode on the busted laptop. I cannot do anything with the busted laptop, and it has my whole freaking life on it!
    On the old desktop, do the USB ports show in the Device Manager control panel? Did you try the USB ports in the I/O panel in the back of the machine? Those are unlikely to be disconnected from the motherboard.

    If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's time to STOP. Get knowledgeable help. I hope that it's readily available. (Perhaps not BestBuy's "Geek Squad". They might fix it by wiping your HD and re-installing Windows.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    25 Sep 2016 #10

    Yes, the device does show up in the Control Panel on the old laptop thanks for asking. I was even able to (accidentally) copy the Media Creation Tool to the device, which does me no good whatsoever. The software download process ends abruptly every time with the message that the USB device can't be found, and suggests I refresh the list, which I do, which doesn't work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
My Hyper-V vms show a tsclient computer in the Network view. I know tsclinet relates to remote desktop, but what can I do with the tsclient computer that appears in the Network window? Is it available for any user activity? 99878
(The window freezes, not the computer) Window Freezes when right click in Playback/Recording Devices window page, can be targeting any device or none. Windows 10 Pro. Example: https://gyazo.com/ba6e806a3ee696e06f811d4dbc388e72 Its frozen...
Hi All - Thankyou in Advance My issue is all the network can see each other but when u send or transfer to or from the tablet win 10 - It cannot send through wireless network even through you can tend to see all networks name on the network...
Welp, I think I've goofed. I noticed a lack of Icons for the tile for the window based applications, (Store, Groove, Messaging...) I click on the tiles and nothing happens. Did I somehow uninstall all of my Windows Applications? I also noticed...
During installation of Windows 10 on a Windows 8.1 Tablet computer do I need a keyboard and mouse or can I use an on-screen keyboard and touchscreen (instead of a mouse) during installation? If yes, can I use a bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00.
Find Us