Windows 10: Holding down Backspace erasing typed text too slow Solved

  1.    18 Sep 2016 #1

    Holding down Backspace erasing typed text too slow


    How long should the computer wait before accepting subsequent repeated keystrokes? is set to 0.3 seconds and this is the minimum value. When I set this enumeration value (the ComboBox or DropDownList) above 0.3 seconds (maximum 2.0 seconds), it (held down Backspace) erasing the text even slower. I need to set this time below 0.3 seconds, so holding down Backspace erasing the text faster as I used to, but how do I do this, if 0.3 seconds is the minimum? I am pretty sure that it's possible to do this with the regedit, but I don't know where to find this setting in the registry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,702
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       18 Sep 2016 #2

    Erez said: View Post
    How long should the computer wait before accepting subsequent repeated keystrokes? is set to 0.3 seconds and this is the minimum value. When I set this enumeration value (the ComboBox or DropDownList) above 0.3 seconds (maximum 2.0 seconds), it (held down Backspace) erasing the text even slower. I need to set this time below 0.3 seconds, so holding down Backspace erasing the text faster as I used to, but how do I do this, if 0.3 seconds is the minimum? I am pretty sure that it's possible to do this with the regedit, but I don't know where to find this setting in the registry.
    I looked in Control Panel, Keyboard and can adjust the rate but it doesn't give me the time involved. There are also variables in programs used and what is happening that affect it such as I am downloading 5 YouTube videos and some of my typing this is a bit 'laggy'. Being a 'day-of-rest' I'm not too concerned about the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,753
    Mac OS Sierra
       18 Sep 2016 #3

    Just highlight with mouse and hit delete.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    19 Sep 2016 #4

    bro67 said: View Post
    Just highlight with mouse and hit delete.
    That's exactly what I am doing recently, but erasing by holding down the Backspace is much more convenient and comfortable for me, and I was used to erase in this method all the years. This problem started since I installed windows 10. I still insist to lower this time, so holding down Backspace erasing text faster as I want and used to and I won't give up and won't leave this thread until this problem is solved or otherwise, I will uninstall windows 10 and return back to windows 7. You have been warned. I might won't use my PC or computer in the meantime, but some other PC to continue to work on.
    Last edited by Erez; 19 Sep 2016 at 03:25.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,753
    Mac OS Sierra
       19 Sep 2016 #5

    Backspace is always slow, because of the whole Sticky keys and accessibility built into windows. Quickest way of deleting a word or group of words has always been the mouse highlight then hit delete.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Sep 2016 #6

    bro67 said: View Post
    Backspace is always slow, because of the whole Sticky keys and accessibility built into windows. Quickest way of deleting a word or group of words has always been the mouse highlight then hit delete.
    Wrong! Incorrect! Backspace is not slow! I used Backspace all the time to delete large text in short times! Maybe for you, mouse was the only device to delete every text you wanted, but it's not convenient for me to delete text with the mouse all the time! It's difficult to select and highlight the exact text I wish to delete with the mouse! It requires too many talent and skill of accuracy and dexterity! Don't tell me what best for me. Best for me is to make Backspace to delete text fast as always it was or I uninstall windows 10 and go back to windows 7. These are the only two options now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,702
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       19 Sep 2016 #7

    You have been warned
    Okay, my head is now officially in the sand on this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 25,426
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       19 Sep 2016 #8

    Erez said: View Post
    How long should the computer wait before accepting subsequent repeated keystrokes? is set to 0.3 seconds and this is the minimum value. When I set this enumeration value (the ComboBox or DropDownList) above 0.3 seconds (maximum 2.0 seconds), it (held down Backspace) erasing the text even slower. I need to set this time below 0.3 seconds, so holding down Backspace erasing the text faster as I used to, but how do I do this, if 0.3 seconds is the minimum? I am pretty sure that it's possible to do this with the regedit, but I don't know where to find this setting in the registry.
    If you have the first one set on, you are limited thru this setting mode to 0.3 seconds. If you set it off, there is no delay....0.0 seconds.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-19_17h33_33.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	102232

    It's possible this is the reg key you're looking for. The value is in milliseconds. 300 = 0.3

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-19_17h40_03.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	102235

    Play with it and see what happens. Because it is a USER value, you may need to sign off/on to take affect.

    TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    19 Sep 2016 #9

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    If you have the first one set on, you are limited thru this setting mode to 0.3 seconds. If you set it off, there is no delay....0.0 seconds.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-19_17h33_33.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	102232

    It's possible this is the reg key you're looking for. The value is in milliseconds. 300 = 0.3

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-19_17h40_03.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	102235

    Play with it and see what happens. Because it is a USER value, you may need to sign off/on to take affect.

    TC
    This is nicest answer I have ever seen! I feel hope now! I am happy! That's it! This is the best answer I was looking for! I am pretty sure that my problem has finally been solved and all thanks to you! You saved me! I will try that and let you know! Thanks you very much! Probably I am going to Mark as Solved this time!

    EDIT: Okay, I followed your suggestions. All what I had to do is to turn off the first switch below the Filter Keys header and problem solved! Backspace erasing text as fast as it always did and all thanks to you! No need to mess up with the registry! Already Marked as Solved this thread! I am blessing you! Thanks for the hard work anyway!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 25,426
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       19 Sep 2016 #10

    Erez said: View Post
    This is nicest answer I have ever seen! I feel hope now! I am happy! That's it! This is the best answer I was looking for! I am pretty sure that my problem has finally been solved and all thanks to you! You saved me! I will try that and let you know! Thanks you very much! Probably I am going to Mark as Solved this time!

    EDIT: Okay, I followed your suggestions. All what I had to do is to turn off the first switch below the Filter Keys header and problem solved! Backspace erasing text as fast as it always did and all thanks to you! No need to mess up with the registry! Already Marked as Solved this thread! I am blessing you! Thanks for the hard work anyway!
    Your welcome! It's actually probably the AutoRepeatRate key, though. In case you need it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I have some 2.5" laptop drives that I wish to sell and have researched the best way to wipe the data off them. Many recommend using a free program called Dban also known as nuke and boot. I want to use this free software on the hdd's that will...
Here's the typical, "sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum," part. I wasn't sure if it should go here or general, so please move it, if appropriate. Anyone that has typed on iOS knows that if you a bunch of words typed and hold the...
Hello, I have another Windows 7 installed on another Mac via bootcamp. If I am going to erase the Windows partition of this machine and install Windows 7 on another computer, do I need to contact MS to break the tie between Windows 7 and existing...
I am looking for some help attempting to find out what might have caused this BSOD. I have attached the appropriate file. Thank you!
In Spartan why on earth does pressing backspace take you back to the previous space. I keep accidentally doing this and it is very annoying.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:07.
Find Us