Windows 10: Start Menu Buggy After a Few Hours

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    15 Sep 2016 #11

    simrick said: View Post
    A repair install with an in-place upgrade leaves all your files and applications intact. Just be sure you download a current ISO from MS.
    Im gonna give this a try.

    Hopefully this does the trick. My start menu is acting up again and for some reason the One Calander app is the only app that appears which is pretty funny.

    I lost some programs to the Search function as well so I can't find those.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Sep 2016 #12

    @simrick

    Well I just finished the repair install and everything is pretty much where I left off before. Nothing really changed at all so the problem is still there.

    Here's the current version:



    Oh yeah, here's an observation that I have about the search feature. If the app shows up and underneath is says: Run command, starting the app will work.

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 11,928
    W10Prox64
       16 Sep 2016 #13

    That is strange. I have never seen anything like this before. I am very surprised a repair install didn't fix things.

    Have you tried a clean boot, to see if the problem reappears as well?
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

    In your first post, you indicated you had recently done a clean install of an older version, and then upgraded to the Anniversary Update (1607). When you did that clean install, did you delete all partitions and install to an unallocated drive? Did you have the older version on long enough to see if the problem persisted in it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Sep 2016 #14

    simrick said: View Post
    In your first post, you indicated you had recently done a clean install of an older version, and then upgraded to the Anniversary Update (1607). When you did that clean install, did you delete all partitions and install to an unallocated drive? Did you have the older version on long enough to see if the problem persisted in it?
    During the clean install I formatted both my SSD and hard drive so everything was wiped out and was starting on a clean slate.

    After I did the clean install (to the older version), I still had some problems and I created a thread on here about it. Someone suggested doing the Anniversary Update so I upgraded the version to that which solved some of the problems but left the problems that I currently have untouched. Finally, the recent update (the one I just downloaded) was the last thing I did to the OS which didn't really change anything at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 11,928
    W10Prox64
       16 Sep 2016 #15

    Alphaheat said: View Post
    During the clean install I formatted both my SSD and hard drive so everything was wiped out and was starting on a clean slate.
    Okay good.

    Alphaheat said: View Post
    After I did the clean install (to the older version), I still had some problems and I created a thread on here about it. Someone suggested doing the Anniversary Update so I upgraded the version to that which solved some of the problems but left the problems that I currently have untouched. Finally, the recent update (the one I just downloaded) was the last thing I did to the OS which didn't really change anything at all.
    Have you tried a clean boot, to see if the problem reappears as well?
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums
    The reason I ask is, I had problems with the ASUS software and had to take it off my system.

    Also, does a new administrative-level user account have the same problems? If not, I would move all my data over to the new account and delete the corrupt account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 11,928
    W10Prox64
       16 Sep 2016 #16

    Another thing you might check is Reliability History - see what's erroring - there may be a clue there.
    Try Run>perfmon /rel
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Sep 2016 #17

    simrick said: View Post
    Another thing you might check is Reliability History - see what's erroring - there may be a clue there.
    Try Run>perfmon /rel
    I shut my computer off overnight and I just logged on.

    Cortana and Search seems to be working now. Hopefully it stays that way but I doubt it.

    I'm leaving a time-stamp here to see how long it lasts. 3:49PM

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 Sep 2016 #18

    Update: The Cortana Search lasted for about an hour or so and it switched back to old habits...

    A new thing now is when I try to double click on .mp4 files this shows up:



    I have to right click -> open with -> Windows Media Player in order for it to play....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11,928
    W10Prox64
       16 Sep 2016 #19

    Any clues in reliability history? Have you removed the ASUS apps?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    16 Sep 2016 #20

    simrick said: View Post
    Any clues in reliability history? Have you removed the ASUS apps?
    Hmm very interesting....

    Looks like Mircrosoft Windows Shell Experience had a problem...






    9:38
    was around the time I restarted my PC and logged back in.

    The Check for solution ​option just says: No new solutions found
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
After I restart my Windows 10 desktop the Start Menu operates as it should. But after a few hours, the Start Menu stops working. After another reboot it works again for another few hours. Anyone having this issue. And if so, any idea of how to fix...
Hey all, I'm surprised that such an obvious bug is still present till now in Win10, at least in my case. For some reason, pinning a Desktop shortcut to the Start Menu (right-clicking on it -> Pin to Start Menu) for the first time after...
I just Installed windows 10 pro on my new PC at work. And my start menu looks like this 95335 The icons on the left are unclear and annoying to get used to. I've been looking on the net and saw that the majority of the screenshots of the start...
After a few hours, any keyboard input will cause any program selected to hang; except League of Legends. The problem goes away after a reboot. I just got the computer put together a few days ago and this is the only problem I'm having. I have...
I have an app named "Timer+" which after it is set and finishes makes a loud beeping noise until it is turned off. I can have up to three timers running at the same time. I have discovered if my QUIET HOURS are turned on, then no sound will be...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41.
Find Us