Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    29 May 2015 #31
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 107
    Windows 7 and 8
    Thread Starter

    @Slartybart; Thanks for that information. That's exactly how I'm now proceeding.

    Any idea when the ISO for v10122 will be released by MS?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    29 May 2015 #32
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    @Slartybart; Thanks for that information. That's exactly how I'm now proceeding.

    Any idea when the ISO for v10122 will be released by MS?
    It's not going to be.. build 10130 was dropped today for members/users on the fast ring.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 May 2015 #33
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 107
    Windows 7 and 8
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    It's not going to be.. build 10130 was dropped today for members/users on the fast ring.
    Thanks BunnyJ Never a dull moment!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    29 May 2015 #34
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Thanks BunnyJ Never a dull moment!
    You're welcome.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 May 2015 #35
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Central Florida
    Posts : 346
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    In Windows 10 I can find disk optimize by using the search engine in settings, and typing in: "Disk defrag and optimize". Or by right clicking the drive in question > Properties > Tools tab.
    But it doesn't show the folder location.
    I've searched all the Windows folders such as Win System, Accessories, etc. Can anyone please tell me where it's located?
    On a clean install (last night) of Win-10, x64, build 10130, I looked for the Defrag.exe program right where I expected to find it, , ,
    in C:\Windows\System32\Defrag.exe ,,,,, but it won't run. When I double click it, I get a window opening up and immediately closing. Hmmm!

    But, it's there, if you can get it to run. I even tried running it as Administrator, and even that didn't help.

    During Beta Testing, we really shouldn't need to Defrag anyway. Eh?

    Cheers mates!
    TechnoMage
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 May 2015 #36
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,001
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    It's(the build) probably not there long enough to fragment. But an SSD should be optimized. If TRIM is turned on it won't matter though, you really don't need to manually run it(at least often).

    To check if it's turned on, in a Admin Command Prompt run fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
    It will give you one of two results, either a 0 or a 1. A zero indicates that TRIM is enabled correctly, a one means that it is not. If you have a TRIM-compatible SSD, but find that Windows 10 hasn't enabled the command, you can easily do so by running this command:

    fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0
    Last edited by Cliff S; 30 May 2015 at 11:49.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    30 May 2015 #37
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Central Florida
    Posts : 346
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    On a clean install (last night) of Win-10, x64, build 10130, I looked for the Defrag.exe program right where I expected to find it, , ,
    in C:\Windows\System32\Defrag.exe ,,,,, but it won't run. When I double click it, I get a window opening up and immediately closing. Hmmm!
    But, it's there, if you can get it to run. I even tried running it as Administrator, and even that didn't help.
    During Beta Testing, we really shouldn't need to Defrag anyway. Eh?
    Cheers mates!
    TechnoMage
    Yes, I'm quoting myself..... lol

    I went back and did some more investigating and I found that the Defrag program for Win-10 is NOT "Defrag.exe", but "dfrgui.exe"

    Maybe that will help!
    It's still at: C:\Windows\system32\dfrgui.exe

    Just right click on it, and 'Send to Desktop, creating a shortcut' and you'll have it handy when you want to run it, or just set up the scheduler to run it as often as you like.

    Enjoy!
    TechnoMage
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 May 2015 #38
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,001
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    Yes, I'm quoting myself..... lol

    I went back and did some more investigating and I found that the Defrag program for Win-10 is NOT "Defrag.exe", but "dfrgui.exe"

    Maybe that will help!
    It's still at: C:\Windows\system32\dfrgui.exe

    Just right click on it, and 'Send to Desktop, creating a shortcut' and you'll have it handy when you want to run it, or just set up the scheduler to run it as often as you like.

    Enjoy!
    TechnoMage
    As I said in post #4?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    30 May 2015 #39
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Central Florida
    Posts : 346
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32

    Touche' Well, sort of.

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    30 May 2015 #40
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,001
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    It took me a while to find it too. I was actually looking for the Admin tools GUI .exe file.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Performance & Maintenance Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10
How to Optimize and Defragment Drives in Windows 10 One of the best ways you can improve your PC's performance is by optimizing the drive. Windows includes features to help optimize the different types of drives that PCs use today. No matter...
Tutorials
Customization Set Save Location for Library in Windows 10
How to Set Default and Public Save Location of Library in Windows 10 Libraries gather folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place. You can include folders and drives to a library as you like. A library's...
Tutorials
Windows 7 not showing location sensor
hi, i recently have installed windows 7 sp1 with all updates and in device manager location sensor is not shown.. Also Gadgets cannot detect my location. It was working fine on my previous windows 8. when i go to location sensors through startup...
General Support
windows dosent defrag drives raided with Mssd
not only in windows 10 but in all windows i always thought that windows was automatically defragging my hard drives and then i turn around and just decided to check with a 3rd party defrag (because my pc boots slow) and theres 65gb of fragmented...
Software and Apps
O&O Defrag
I downloade & installed the trial version of O&O Defragmenter tool. I started a defrag last night at midnight setting it to do a 'Complete/Modfied' which I read is the best drag which will give you a faster boot time (which is what i want). it has...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:17.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums