Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Sep 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       07 Sep 2016 #1

    New PC build - Constantly freezing


    Hello guys,

    I've just build my first PC and it has been working fine for a week. Although I didn't install a graphics card, I installed some games (League of Legends and GTA V ) just to see the perfomance without a GPU, and it was surprising well, also the CPU temperature was below 38°C.

    So here are the specs:

    i5 6600K
    Asus Z170-P
    Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
    Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4-2666 (2x4GB)
    Samsung Evo 850 250GB
    PSU Corsair VS650
    Corsair Carbide Series 200R

    So yesterday the PC froze randomly and I thought it would probably be some Windows 10 error. Then it kept freezing again and again even on the Windows 10 logo screen. I had to shut it down every time and reboot, and IF I was lucky to get some startup options before freezing again, I could choose safe mode and it would work without issues during safe mode.

    Then I tried to boot from USB and CD to do a clean install and it froze again during the spinning dots with the Windows logo. At this point I realised that its probably a hardware issue or some BIOS settings are messed up. I tried switching RAM modules and slots, switching hard drives, remove any USB cabling, nothing worked.

    Since its my first build I don't know much about configuring BIOS and the only things I did when I first built the PC was to 1) Update BIOS, 2) Enable XMP. Then it worked flawlessly from there until yesterday for no reason. I monitored the temperatures daily and everything was below 40°C (expect some Speed Fan readings AUXTIN 2,3 which showed degrees over 100°C but I read that its probably an error, and I verified that by also checking the temperatures through BIOS)

    Also since this PC is new, I could ask for a replacement but I'm not sure which component is responsible, whether its motherboard, RAM or CPU.

    I would really appreciate it you could help me out with that

    Thank you
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       08 Sep 2016 #2

    jvr said: View Post
    Hello guys,

    I've just build my first PC and it has been working fine for a week. Although I didn't install a graphics card, I installed some games (League of Legends and GTA V ) just to see the perfomance without a GPU, and it was surprising well, also the CPU temperature was below 38°C.

    So here are the specs:

    i5 6600K
    Asus Z170-P
    Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
    Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4-2666 (2x4GB)
    Samsung Evo 850 250GB
    PSU Corsair VS650
    Corsair Carbide Series 200R

    So yesterday the PC froze randomly and I thought it would probably be some Windows 10 error. Then it kept freezing again and again even on the Windows 10 logo screen. I had to shut it down every time and reboot, and IF I was lucky to get some startup options before freezing again, I could choose safe mode and it would work without issues during safe mode.

    Then I tried to boot from USB and CD to do a clean install and it froze again during the spinning dots with the Windows logo. At this point I realised that its probably a hardware issue or some BIOS settings are messed up. I tried switching RAM modules and slots, switching hard drives, remove any USB cabling, nothing worked.

    Since its my first build I don't know much about configuring BIOS and the only things I did when I first built the PC was to 1) Update BIOS, 2) Enable XMP. Then it worked flawlessly from there until yesterday for no reason. I monitored the temperatures daily and everything was below 40°C (expect some Speed Fan readings AUXTIN 2,3 which showed degrees over 100°C but I read that its probably an error, and I verified that by also checking the temperatures through BIOS)

    Also since this PC is new, I could ask for a replacement but I'm not sure which component is responsible, whether its motherboard, RAM or CPU.

    I would really appreciate it you could help me out with that

    Thank you
    Check it disabling XMP, and leave value to default.
    In the past i had a similar problem with XMP enabled.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       08 Sep 2016 #3

    Yeah I've already tried that and also cleared CMOS but still nothing changed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,521
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       08 Sep 2016 #4

    If you are using build 1607 (the anniversary edition) be aware freezing is a widely reported issue. (Search the web for 'windows anniversary problems'.

    If so, see
    Microsoft Fixes the Windows 10 Freezing Issues - Windows 10 Forums

    Of course your particular problem may be something else.

    You could check your event log and reliability history in case there's anything helpful there, but it's possible there won't be for freezes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Sep 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       08 Sep 2016 #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    If you are using build 1607 (the anniversary edition) be aware freezing is a widely reported issue. (Search the web for 'windows anniversary problems'.

    If so, see
    Microsoft Fixes the Windows 10 Freezing Issues - Windows 10 Forums

    Of course your particular problem may be something else.

    You could check your event log and reliability history in case there's anything helpful there, but it's possible there won't be for freezes.
    This issue looks that is OS related. I'm almost 100% sure that my issue is caused by hardware since the freezing appears even when booting from CD. I even removed all hard drives and just tried to boot from the Windows 10 DVD and it froze again.

    Some updates:

    1) I ran a Memtest to see if the RAM was causing the issue but it looks like the RAM is fine after 4 passes. (I know that 4 passes are not enough but I have experience with Memtest and it usually gives the errors on the first test)
    2) Managed to boot to desktop after reseting the default BIOS settings (again), but after 2 minutes it froze again.
    3) I uploaded some pictures of BIOS in case any of you experts could help me figure this out as quickly as possible.


    Thanks guys
    Last edited by jvr; 11 Sep 2016 at 16:11.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,521
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       08 Sep 2016 #6

    Well, you may be right.. but you were trying to do a Win 10 install.

    Suggest you try instead booting from this disk:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

    to confirm your suspicions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       08 Sep 2016 #7

    [
    Some updates:

    1) I ran a Memtest to see if the RAM was causing the issue but it looks like the RAM is fine after 4 passes. (I know that 4 passes are not enough but I have experience with Memtest and it usually gives the errors on the first test)
    2) Managed to boot to desktop after reseting the default BIOS settings (again), but after 2 minutes it froze again.
    3) I uploaded some pictures of BIOS in case any of you experts could help me figure this out as quickly as possible.

    BIOS Screenshots

    Thanks guys[/QUOTE]

    Do you see any kind of abnormal activity in the "Activity Manager"?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Sep 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       08 Sep 2016 #8

    dalchina said: View Post
    Well, you may be right.. but you were trying to do a Win 10 install.

    Suggest you try instead booting from this disk:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

    to confirm your suspicions.
    Thanks for suggestion I'm gonna try that as well. I also tried installing Windows 7 from a USB but still the same outcome.


    Gas said: View Post
    [
    Do you see any kind of abnormal activity in the "Activity Manager"?
    I couldn't manage to open a program because it froze almost immediately.


    As you can see in the first two pictures I posted, thats where the PC freezes almost always, so I can't do much inside Windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       08 Sep 2016 #9

    Try using the rear USB port to boot fom USB stick
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 40
    windows 10
       08 Sep 2016 #10

    Hello.
    Random freezing at any moment, even during power up, is invariably a hardware issue, but these things really can be tricky to locate. It's a question of trying to work out what is the most likely cause, testing that, then moving on to the next most likely cause.

    In my many, many years of building PC's, the random "anytime" freeze has always been down to RAM, so it's the first place I would look.

    You do realise that your CPU doesn't actually support the RAM speed you bought? Just because you can set that in the BIOS doesn't mean it will work. So check that you are running the RAM at the speed set by the CPU which I think is 1866? ( Not sure about that, you will have to check ).

    After that I would try replacing the RAM completely. Of the very few RAM issues I have had, every time they have been Kingston. Kingston is good RAM but it does tend to have some little quirks. In particular, I would be very concerned about one item in the Fury spec, which is "Automatic Overclocking". You really want to avoid automatic anything in case it needs to be switched off! So the first thing I would do is replace the RAM with a different make. Corsair generally being the better alternative.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Relatively new build freezing when i do certain things
So I recently buit a new PC, parts list here: AMD FX-8350, Sapphire Radeon R9 270X, NZXT Guardian 921 RB - System Build - PCPartPicker and it worked flawlessly for a while, until a few weeks ago. Now, any time I watch a stream on twitch.tv or a...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Windows 10 RTM freezing constantly and loops/repeats sound
So the problem I've been having with Windows 10 is that it is constantly freezing on me and loops the sound over and over until it unfreezes. The computer is unresponsive and acts like it is about to bluescreen but it doesn't. After it unfreezes, it...
General Support
Desktop Constantly Freezing and results in DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
My pc usually starts up in less then 10 seconds. Sometimes it takes up to 2 minutes which then results in constant freezing once it's started. Then I proceed to shut down or restart my pc and after it's 'shut down' it comes up with...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Excel Is Constantly Freezing?
Hey all, I'm having an issue, ever since I installed Windows 10(upgraded, then did a clean install), I've been having issues with Excel. I have Office 2013 and everytime I open an excel document, then close it when I'm done, it freezes. Only...
Software and Apps
Build 10049 Random Freezing
Sometimes, when I am In a game, my computer would freeze. I was on skype with someone when it froze. I still heard them though. I have to hold the power button on my computer to turn it off. I tried control alt delete but nothing happens. Any ideas?
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Š Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums