Windows 10: How do I use all my 8gb ram? Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    05 Sep 2016 #1

    How do I use all my 8gb ram?


    I have 8gb ram memory. System info shows it all. Performance monitor shows that I use up to about 3.5gb, but never more. Is that normal?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Sep 2016 #2

    It sounds as if you have 32bit version of Windows installed which can only access 4GB (less a bit for hardware).

    Can you check on Settings > System > About - it will tell you under "System Type" if you have 32 or 64 bit operating system installed.

    If it is 32 bit then you'll need to clean install 64 bit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 Sep 2016 #3

    lx07 said: View Post
    It sounds as if you have 32bit version of Windows installed which can only access 4GB (less a bit for hardware).

    Can you check on Settings > System > About - it will tell you under "System Type" if you have 32 or 64 bit operating system installed.

    If it is 32 bit then you'll need to clean install 64 bit.
    Good thought, but no. About reports installed RAM as 8gb and System type as 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 64
    Multiple systems on multiple computer
       05 Sep 2016 #4

    My Laptop has 4GB of RAM on a 64bit system but uses only 3.37GB (its an older Laptop). Even though the mainboard may support the full memory, using it is a different story. I have not figured it out yet why....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Sep 2016 #5

    If you open loads of tabs on your browser what do you have here on task manager and resource monitor?

    I have 8GB also and just opened about 20 tabs in edge (do have one VM running as well).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	99938

    Are you still stuck at 3.5GB?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    05 Sep 2016 #6

    lx07 said: View Post
    If you open loads of tabs on your browser what do you have here on task manager and resource monitor?

    I have 8GB also and just opened about 20 tabs in edge (do have one VM running as well).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	99938

    Are you still stuck at 3.5GB?
    Ahah! No, it creeps up over 4.7GB 57%. So I guess nothing else I'm doing needs the extra ram.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Sep 2016 #7

    So perhaps not a problem?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    05 Sep 2016 #8

    Pjh said: View Post
    Ahah! No, it creeps up over 4.7GB 57%. So I guess nothing else I'm doing needs the extra ram.
    I think your OK. When I checked my computer with two programs running plus any background processes I'm only using 3.8 GBs out of 12 GBs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    05 Sep 2016 #9

    Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory information. But I doubt you have a problem.

    The "In use" value doesn't tell you of all memory being used. The screenshot in post #5 shows "In use" memory as 5410 MB, standby as memory as 2517 MB and only 9 MB free (a very good value). This is typical of a system under moderate use. That 2517 MB in standby contains system and application code and data and acts as a kind of cache. This is a major contributor to good performance. In this case only 9 MB memory is actually unused. Total memory usage, unlike "In use", is actually approaching 99.9% which is very good indeed. A low value for free memory is a good thing. The optimum would be 0 at all times but that is currently not achievable.

    If "In use" memory were to go much beyond that in the screenshot performance would suffer. If the system had been recently started free memory would be much higher. That is unavoidable. You can't cache data until it is first accessed. In time, depending on how heavily the system is used, the free value will drop to lower levels.

    Memory management in any modern OS is VERY complex and not easily understood. Most of the time it works very well. Most apparent problems are only that and due to lack of understanding of how things work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    06 Sep 2016 #10

    Thank you all. I understand much better now. Thanks especially to L Miller 7 for a very helpful and clear explanation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55.
Find Us