Windows 10: 10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    01 Jun 2015 #11

    I guess it was just a temporary fix.. I am now back to blank icons. At least I can read the text on them though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Jun 2015 #12

    Side note.. Even when you have icons on tiles, they are painfully small, especially when you resize them to small. They are like this microscopic tiny icon inside of a scrabble square sized tile. Am I the only one who feels like they really ought to increase the size of the icons inside of the tiles? That, and maybe allow us to change the color of tiles rather than just resize them. When you have like 10 tiles that are all blue, with tiny little icons inside of them, it is less than easy to seek and find the program you are after. There is a suggestion out there in feedback to increase the size of the icons, but strangely, there are only 2 ups. I'd love to see that number increase.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    01 Jun 2015 #13

    musiclover7 said: View Post
    Side note.. Even when you have icons on tiles, they are painfully small, especially when you resize them to small. They are like this microscopic tiny icon inside of a scrabble square sized tile. Am I the only one who feels like they really ought to increase the size of the icons inside of the tiles? That, and maybe allow us to change the color of tiles rather than just resize them. When you have like 10 tiles that are all blue, with tiny little icons inside of them, it is less than easy to seek and find the program you are after. There is a suggestion out there in feedback to increase the size of the icons, but strangely, there are only 2 ups. I'd love to see that number increase.
    That's what it was in 10122, icons (conventional) where as large as tile but they are not of right resolution so they looked fuzzy. Those icons are provided by program they are attached to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    01 Jun 2015 #14

    Not sure I'm following what you are saying. The icons that are provided by programs have plenty of resolution and look great when resized as large as you want to go on desktop. The problem cannot be the resolution of the icon that was provided in the program. I mean, even if they matched the resolution/size that gets set by default on the desktop, it would be a huge improvement. They are like half size on the start menu. This has always frustrated me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Jun 2015 #15

    musiclover7 said: View Post
    Not sure I'm following what you are saying. The icons that are provided by programs have plenty of resolution and look great when resized as large as you want to go on desktop. The problem cannot be the resolution of the icon that was provided in the program. I mean, even if they matched the resolution/size that gets set by default on the desktop, it would be a huge improvement. They are like half size on the start menu. This has always frustrated me.
    Start is probably just picking the wrong size. Program icons are actually in a .ico format which is a bunch of (preferably similar) icons at different resolutions, with the idea that a full sized icon will not scale down to the taskbar or window icons (in Windows XP and before). The smaller sizes are really only needed for compatibility purposes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    01 Jun 2015 #16

    FuturDreamz said: View Post
    Start is probably just picking the wrong size. Program icons are actually in a .ico format which is a bunch of (preferably similar) icons at different resolutions, with the idea that a full sized icon will not scale down to the taskbar or window icons (in Windows XP and before). The smaller sizes are really only needed for compatibility purposes.
    Maybe so, but I do know if you opt to replace any icon on your desktop via right click, properties, you only need to provide one file to complete the change. I would agree that start is selecting the wrong size if it was something sort of recent. It has been this wah since windows 8. It may have gotten a little smaller in 10. I don't have a windows 8 machine to compare to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       01 Jun 2015 #17

    Start is an app and it is using an incorrect app design setting.

    I experimented a bit - pulled the differnt resolution and size icons out of one and create a new icon file for each size/res.

    Regardless of the size/res - 122 still fuzzed the icon.

    130 just went back to the 074 implementation of tiles on start.

    Why don't the uniApps have an issue? MS bias ?

    If you re-size a tile that is missing an icon, the icon magically returns.

    There's another issue where Start won't open - go to Settings>Personalize>Start and toggle all of the switches - try start again.
    Full screen and Store and show recently opened... seem to 'fix' that more than any other setting.
    Lock screen seems to lock start again though.

    Now if anyone has a solution to the puzzle movement of tiles and tiles reisizing - let me know

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8puzzle.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	20490
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Any time I try to use the question mark icon on the upper right side of the screen I get Cortana. When I type in a question, I just get to the Edge browser and the results of a search. Here is the Windows 8.1 result when I click the question mark on...
Hey all, Newbie here. I'm a long time Windows users and have used all incarnations since 95, so I know my way around the system - but something just happened and it has me stumped! The other day, I downloaded an ISO of Build 10240 via...
I upgraded to 10074 with no problems but trying to upgrade to 10122 gets error fbl_impressive Professional 10122 - Error 0xd0000225. I'm logged into my Microsoft account, so I don't think that's the problem. I've cleaned up all the files and...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:43.
Find Us