Win 10 Task Manager now only works in Admin mode

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. m3110w's Avatar
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
       #1

    Win 10 Task Manager now only works in Admin mode


    Hi All, I've had my Win 10 laptop for about a year and I keep it up to date. Now all of a sudden the Task Manager only works in Admin mode. I always run in Standard mode and now I have to right click on Task Manager and hit Run As Admin. Otherwise it opens but doesn't run and display live data.

    Any ideas why this changed? Thanks,
      My Computer

  2. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,681
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #2

    Probably security reasons. You can try to use Process Explorer or Process Hacker instead.
      My Computer

  3. m3110w's Avatar
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
    Thread Starter
       #3

    TairikuOkami said:
    Probably security reasons. You can try to use Process Explorer or Process Hacker instead.
    I downloaded Process Explorer. Process Hacker resides on SourceForge. I've heard from different sources that SourceForge bundles adware and crapware with downloads and it can be *very* difficult to avoid installing the crapware.

    Is there a way to easily download apps from SourceForge without getting infected with crapware? Is there some other paid site to download Windows apps that have no bundled crapware?

    Also, I had to smile when you mentioned "security reasons" and a SourceForge app in the same post. From what I've heard SourceForge has become a cesspool of insecure sneaky crapware. Do you think this is the case?

    Thanks,
      My Computer

  4. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,371
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #4

    I found Major Geeks MajorGeeks.Com - MajorGeeks to be one of safest and cleanest sources of SW.
      My Computers

  5. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 23,350
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #5

    m3110w said:
    I downloaded Process Explorer. Process Hacker resides on SourceForge. I've heard from different sources that SourceForge bundles adware and crapware with downloads and it can be *very* difficult to avoid installing the crapware.

    Is there a way to easily download apps from SourceForge without getting infected with crapware? Is there some other paid site to download Windows apps that have no bundled crapware?

    Also, I had to smile when you mentioned "security reasons" and a SourceForge app in the same post. From what I've heard SourceForge has become a cesspool of insecure sneaky crapware. Do you think this is the case?

    Thanks,
    Adware bundling stopped about a year ago when SourceForge was bought by another company. You can always download Process Hacker from other sites, like Softpedia - they always state the real nature of applications (clear, free, ...)

    If you are not comfortable with this, there is also portable version of same program on same site.

    This is (just one mention) about SourceForge from How-to Geek site (look for Update thing :

    “SourceForge are (sic) abusing the trust that we and our users had put into their service in the past,” according to the GIMP project. Since 2013, SourceForge has been bundling junkware along with their installers — sometimes without a developer’s permission.

    Don’t download software from SourceForge if you can help it. Many open-source projects now host their installers elsewhere, and the versions on SourceForge may include junkware. If you absolutely have to download something from SourceForge, be extra careful.

    Update: Since the writing of this article, SourceForge has been sold to a new company that stopped the DevShare program discussed in this article. We’re leaving this article here for historical reference, but it has since stopped these shady practices.
      My Computers

  6. m3110w's Avatar
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I've also heard bad things about MajorGeeks but I'll research them to get the latest details. Thanks!
      My Computer

  7. m3110w's Avatar
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 Home Latest Version
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Thanks Andre, I'll also research and try to confirm that SourceForge has indeed cleaned up it's act. Good news if it is true. Thanks!
      My Computer

  8. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,371
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #8

    m3110w said:
    I've also heard bad things about MajorGeeks but I'll research them to get the latest details. Thanks!
    Can't recall anything bad about MG, been downloading from and using as main source of SW for many years now. If there's anything bundled (rarely) or with addware, it's clearly marked in red.
      My Computers

  9. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 23,350
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #9

    m3110w said:
    Thanks Andre, I'll also research and try to confirm that SourceForge has indeed cleaned up it's act. Good news if it is true. Thanks!
    You're welcome :) A lot of people is still mad with SF and download apps from other sites. It's good to have choice.

    If you are very concerned about that, it would be good practice to use virustotal (extension for browsers) and Unchecky program.

    @TairikuOkami advice is safe to follow and proved to be well informed about most security issues
      My Computers

  10. dmex's Avatar
    Posts : 93
    Windows
       #10

    m3110w said:
    Process Hacker resides on SourceForge. I've heard from different sources that SourceForge bundles adware and crapware with downloads and it can be *very* difficult to avoid installing the crapware.
    We stopped using Sourceforge as the primary location for Process Hacker a few years ago due to those issues :/

    You can download Process Hacker via our main website:
    https://wj32.org/processhacker/

    Binaries are also available on our Github source repository:
    https://github.com/processhacker2/pr...cker2/releases

    Hope it helps,
    dmex
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:27.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums