Windows 10: SppExtComObj.Exe Solved

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1.    29 Aug 2016 #51

    stevenson53 said: View Post
    OK Fast Startup is Off but why? System restore on with the OS drive but not the data drive. I have never seen so many restore points! usually its one or two at most!
    Fast Startup is a sort of hybrid shutdown. It prevents the system from fully shutting down, so it can start faster. Problem is, FPRs (Files Pending Rename) and other things sometimes need a good, "real" shutdown, so when you're installing all your applications, it's best to have it turned off. I, personally, leave it off always.

    To understand what this is/does (it was first introduced in Windows 8):
    “Fast Startup (aka: hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) is a new feature in Windows 8 to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows 8 does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method that saves only the kernel session and device drivers (system information) to the hibernate (hiberfil.sys) file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down your PC. This also makes the hiberfil.sys file to be much smaller than what hibernate would use (often 4GB or more). When you start your PC again, Windows 8 uses that saved system information to resume your system instead of having to do a cold boot to fully restart it. Using this technique with boot gives a significant advantage for boot times, since reading the hiberfile in and reinitializing drivers is much faster on most systems (30-70% faster on most systems tested). If you have a motherboard with UEFI, then fast startup will be even faster.”
    System Restore should be ON for the OS only, so that's correct. If you want to remove some restore points, it can be easily done with Ccleaner.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	system-restore-points.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	98783

    The partition structure of the SSD looks fine in the Macrium screenshot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Aug 2016 #52

    stevenson53 said: View Post
    I hope nothing is illegal on my machine!
    Good thing you clean installed.

    Might want to reconsider your Adobe products if you reinstall those.

    127.0.0.1 3dns.adobe.com 3dns-1.adobe.com 3dns-2.adobe.com 3dns-3.adobe.com 3dns-4.adobe.com activate.adobe.com activate-sea.adobe.com activate-sjc0.adobe.com activate.wip.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 activate.wip1.adobe.com activate.wip2.adobe.com activate.wip3.adobe.com activate.wip4.adobe.com adobe-dns.adobe.com adobe-dns-1.adobe.com adobe-dns-2.adobe.com adobe-dns-3.adobe.com adobe-dns-4.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 adobeereg.com practivate.adobe practivate.adobe.com practivate.adobe.newoa practivate.adobe.ntp practivate.adobe.ipp ereg.adobe.com ereg.wip.adobe.com ereg.wip1.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 ereg.wip2.adobe.com ereg.wip3.adobe.com ereg.wip4.adobe.com hl2rcv.adobe.com wip.adobe.com wip1.adobe.com wip2.adobe.com wip3.adobe.com wip4.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 http://www.adobeereg.com wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com http://www.wip.adobe.com http://www.wip1.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 http://www.wip2.adobe.com http://www.wip3.adobe.com http://www.wip4.adobe.com wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com crl.verisign.net CRL.VERISIGN.NET ood.opsource.net
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Aug 2016 #53

    Porthos said: View Post
    Good thing you clean installed.

    Might want to reconsider your Adobe products if you reinstall those.

    127.0.0.1 3dns.adobe.com 3dns-1.adobe.com 3dns-2.adobe.com 3dns-3.adobe.com 3dns-4.adobe.com activate.adobe.com activate-sea.adobe.com activate-sjc0.adobe.com activate.wip.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 activate.wip1.adobe.com activate.wip2.adobe.com activate.wip3.adobe.com activate.wip4.adobe.com adobe-dns.adobe.com adobe-dns-1.adobe.com adobe-dns-2.adobe.com adobe-dns-3.adobe.com adobe-dns-4.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 adobeereg.com practivate.adobe practivate.adobe.com practivate.adobe.newoa practivate.adobe.ntp practivate.adobe.ipp ereg.adobe.com ereg.wip.adobe.com ereg.wip1.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 ereg.wip2.adobe.com ereg.wip3.adobe.com ereg.wip4.adobe.com hl2rcv.adobe.com wip.adobe.com wip1.adobe.com wip2.adobe.com wip3.adobe.com wip4.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 http://www.adobeereg.com wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com http://www.wip.adobe.com http://www.wip1.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 http://www.wip2.adobe.com http://www.wip3.adobe.com http://www.wip4.adobe.com wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com crl.verisign.net CRL.VERISIGN.NET ood.opsource.net
    Yes I know what you mean and will sort that out. Again thanks for all your help and I think we are more or less done.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Aug 2016 #54

    stevenson53 said: View Post
    Yes I know what you mean and will sort that out. Again thanks for all your help and I think we are more or less done.
    Okay good. Cheers!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    1 Week Ago #55

    stevenson53 said: View Post
    Hi There,
    My Malwarebytes (recently installed) has been blocking an outbound connection to a website 94.242.206.249 using the process SppExtComObj.Exe.
    I have searched and it seems that this file is a valid process.
    The file version is dated 30.10.15, 10.0.10586.10.
    Is this something I should be worried about?
    Thanks for any help
    Paul
    I know this is an old post but in Comodo Internet Security Pro I am getting a lot of blocked HIPS activity relating to this application. It doesn't tell me anything more. Is there a way to determine what it is doing without using Malwarebytes?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. xTL's Avatar
    Posts : 213
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1809) 17763.1
       1 Week Ago #56

    Sheepdisease said: View Post
    I know this is an old post but in Comodo Internet Security Pro I am getting a lot of blocked HIPS activity relating to this application. It doesn't tell me anything more. Is there a way to determine what it is doing without using Malwarebytes?
    Sure, here you go :)

    sppextcomobj.exe is a legitimate Windows file developed by Microsoft. It is a part of the Windows Operating System. sppextcomobj.exe is used for Key Management Service (KMS) Licensing for Microsoft Products and installed with Windows File Protection (WFP) enabled. That’s why sppextcomobj.exe is run as a standard windows process and has Network Service privileges. You will usually find this file with the name KMS Connection Broker in task manager. The typical file path for this is C:\Windows\System32\sppextcomobj.exe.

    Source <----
    There are more info at source page.

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    1 Week Ago #57

    Thanks xTL. I checked out the link and it says the following:

    What if my Antivirus considers sppextcomobj.exe a threat?

    If your antivirus application or your Windows Defender is catching the sppextcomobj.exe as a threat to your system then ignore that. As we mentioned earlier, unless sppextcomobj.exe or KMS Connection Broker is taking up a lot of resources, or creating a major issue and error problem, you should be ok. Removing these files will cause serious side effect so it isn’t recommended.

    What is a usual amount of resources for the application to use?

    How can I check outgoing connection requests from the application to make sure it is trying to reach only legitimate servers?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. xTL's Avatar
    Posts : 213
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1809) 17763.1
       1 Week Ago #58

    @Sheepdisease
    i couldn't tell you how much recources it uses because i don't have it in my taskmanager.

    Spybot Anti-Beacon or O&O ShutUp10
    probably blocked it along with many other services Ms would like all it's users to have running :P

    I Prefer not to have MS snooping around in my system and loggin what i do with my OS :)
    #privacyplease
    xD

    What does Comodo Internet Security Pro tell you regarding the connection requests ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    1 Week Ago #59

    All I get is this: https://i.imgur.com/mwvRf1x.png

    and this:

    https://i.imgur.com/dpbl6hN.png

    Obviously I would like to know more..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. xTL's Avatar
    Posts : 213
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1809) 17763.1
       1 Week Ago #60

    @Sheepdisease
    Yeah that's not much to go on...

    To be honest i would just block it if i where you :)
    But if you don't want to do that, you could install a firewall such as Glasswire or Free Firewall
    ( not sure how much info the firewalls would show tho )
    You could also install pi.hole/ that would give you alot more info about the incoming & outgoing connection requests.
    ( however to install pi.hole/ and set it up as dns is alot of work, and require you to have some knowledge of linux )
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04.
Find Us