Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1.    27 Aug 2016 #41
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Australia
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Fingers crossed! It's late here and I'm signing off. This repair should take just about as long as an upgrade, so don't be surprised. Good luck!
    OK it worked like a dream and no more blocking at the beginning!
    THANKYOU so much for your help, it has been great.
    Just a last couple of questions.:
    - I'm going to do an image of the OS drive just in case before I do anything else.
    - Do I keep Defender or ditch it.
    - What's with this Cortina thing, I got rid of it last time.
    - Backup up strategy is now OK but what do you recommend re continues virus scans etc.
    Cheers
    Paul
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Aug 2016 #42
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Australia
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenson53 View Post
    OK it worked like a dream and no more blocking at the beginning!
    THANKYOU so much for your help, it has been great.
    Just a last couple of questions.:
    - I'm going to do an image of the OS drive just in case before I do anything else.
    - Do I keep Defender or ditch it.
    - What's with this Cortina thing, I got rid of it last time.
    - Backup up strategy is now OK but what do you recommend re continues virus scans etc.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Well I haven't installed anything and the blocked website came up again on MBAM! Devistated! I think the best route now is to do a clean install 😞😞😞
    Last edited by stevenson53; 28 Aug 2016 at 05:28.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Aug 2016 #43
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Australia
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenson53 View Post
    Well I haven't installed anything and the blocked website came up again on MBAM! Devistated! I think the best route now is to do a clean install 
    Ok, I bit the bullet and have started a clean install. Given that I have been infected with a cryptolocker it's probably the best thing to do. I have learnt a lot though in this whole process so thanks for your help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Aug 2016 #44
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,588
    W10Prox64

    Oh my goodness! It worked, and the blocking issue is still there....so, yes clean install it is.

    One question: When you started the clean install, did you do a "custom" install, and delete all partitions and install to a completely unallocated drive? Because of the infection issue, that would be highly recommended.

    Yes, it's a good idea to image the clean install as soon as it's completed. Then, after you've got your programs loaded, image again. Keep those two images safe someplace offline for future need. Then, setup Macrium to image on a schedule.

    Backup best practises are 3-2-1: Three rotating backups, two on-site, one off-site. One set offline at all times.

    Just a last couple of questions.:
    - I'm going to do an image of the OS drive just in case before I do anything else.
    - Do I keep Defender or ditch it.
    - What's with this Cortina thing, I got rid of it last time.
    - Backup up strategy is now OK but what do you recommend re continues virus scans etc.
    Cheers
    Paul
    I'll make some personal recommendations here - others may have different ideas, and you need to do what's best for you:

    Active AV: ESET NOD (paid) or Avast! Free (custom install, only the 3 shields and software updater, nothing else)
    MBAM (Paid, especially since they will be rolling in their anti-ransomware module when it's out of BETA)
    Malwarebytes AntiExploit (free)
    CryptoPrevent (free - update yourself)
    SuperAntiSpyware (free - run yourself)
    Ccleaner (Free - run yourself)
    Macrium Reflect (free - for your images)

    Since you can "Mount" a Macrium image, and pull any files out of it, in their natural state, you can use this exclusively for your OS + data backups. Be sure to include "verification" in your instruction set. Macrium Images will be compressed, and will take up less space than just copying your data.
    Defender will be disabled when you install your 3rd-party AV.
    Please don't do anything to Cortana - she is becoming more and more entrenched in the OS, and messing with her can eventually bork your system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Aug 2016 #45
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,588
    W10Prox64

    p.s. Please don't forget to create your rescue media in Macrium, and be sure your system will boot from it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    28 Aug 2016 #46
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Australia
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    p.s. Please don't forget to create your rescue media in Macrium, and be sure your system will boot from it.
    Ok got all of that although I didn't do the bit about the partitions. I have 3 on the OS drive, system reserve(none) 100mb/46.2mb, system 232.35mb/32.02 and None 450mb//319.4mb. I have an old copy of partition magic if that helps?
    Last edited by stevenson53; 28 Aug 2016 at 18:03.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Aug 2016 #47
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,588
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenson53 View Post
    Ok got all of that although I didn't do the bit about the partitions. I have 3 on the OS drive, system reserve(none) 100mb/46.2mb, system 232.35mb/32.02 and None 450mb//319.4mb.
    With the clean install and MBAM installed, if you get that blocking again, stop and redo the clean install, deleting all partitions and installing to an unallocated drive. There are some infections which can survive a reinstall, because they create their own hidden partition on the disk. Not saying you had that; just to be aware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Aug 2016 #48
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Australia
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    With the clean install and MBAM installed, if you get that blocking again, stop and redo the clean install, deleting all partitions and installing to an unallocated drive. There are some infections which can survive a reinstall, because they create their own hidden partition on the disk. Not saying you had that; just to be aware.
    Ok all is going well. Slowly restoring my programs one by one. No response from MBAM or ESET yet so hopefully the partitions were not infected. Do you think its worth doing something about the partitions? My old partition magic doesn't work anymore but then again iots 12 years old LOL.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Aug 2016 #49
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,588
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenson53 View Post
    Ok all is going well. Slowly restoring my programs one by one. No response from MBAM or ESET yet so hopefully the partitions were not infected. Do you think its worth doing something about the partitions? My old partition magic doesn't work anymore but then again iots 12 years old LOL.
    Yeah, when I did the initial install on my main machine, I installed the programs only as I needed them...ended up leaving some old, unused stuff off completely, and all the better for it too.

    Please be sure to turn Fast Startup OFF, and turn System Restore ON (and set a restore point or three).

    What exactly do you want to do with your partitions? MiniTool Partition Wizard is free and quite good.
    Give us a screenshot of Macrium showing your partition structure, and it will be easy to describe what you want to do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    29 Aug 2016 #50
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Australia
    Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Yeah, when I did the initial install on my main machine, I installed the programs only as I needed them...ended up leaving some old, unused stuff off completely, and all the better for it too.

    Please be sure to turn Fast Startup OFF, and turn System Restore ON (and set a restore point or three).

    What exactly do you want to do with your partitions? MiniTool Partition Wizard is free and quite good.
    Give us a screenshot of Macrium showing your partition structure, and it will be easy to describe what you want to do.
    OK Fast Startup is Off but why? System restore on with the OS drive but not the data drive. I have never seen so many restore points! usually its one or two at most!

    Here is a shot of my partitions:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	272.0 KB 
ID:	98727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	272.0 KB 
ID:	98727
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:04.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums