Windows 10: 10074 updates break my PC Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    18 May 2015 #1

    10074 updates break my PC


    So I today decided to update my PC to build 10074 - biggest ****ing mistake. Tripple shit build. Upgraded and Bluetooth was broken. After doing some research it was fixed in an update. So I download the updates that are available.

    Ha when the PC rebooted all of my USB devices stopped working. Even at the os selection. I literally changed every bios setting I had that had anything to do with USB support. No luck after two hours. I decide a fresh install is in order. While doing so I notice I'm in legacy. I switch to uefi (hopefully resolving any usb issues) and reformat my hard drive to GPT. Install and everything is looking better, and running better as a fresh install (USB working as before). Go to do my updates since Bluetooth needed the update fix still. I do the updates and BAM - no ****ing keyboard and mouse again. - now I'm pissed. Go back into bios and set all to default because I'm in uefi now. Still nothing. Lol Microsoft really ****ed this build up. If you have the mobo in my build below, DO NOT INSTALL THIS BUILD:

    Mobo: Asus Z87-Pro
    CPU: i7-4770k
    Gfx: Nvidia GTX 960
    RAM: 2x4GB Kingston
    PSU:750w

    Its a reproducible problem and nothing on the internet works, believe me. I've been trying to get at this for 6 hours.

    [SOLUTION]
    Downloaded the chipset drivers from the ASUS Z87 PRO site, after it installed, I updated, and rebooted. much to my happiness it worked =)
    Last edited by zeruth; 19 May 2015 at 00:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    18 May 2015 #2

    . . .Hmmmmmmmmmm!. . .you might start out with a bar of soap. I bet it wasn't MS's fault. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 May 2015 #3

    Bet you it is seeing as how the Bluetooth was. And applying that update specifically broke the OS twice after 6 hours of educated troubleshooting. I know my way around a PC and internet forums. A 100 percent fresh install. Update it and all USB dies? OK guy.

    BTW I've been on TP builds since they started. This one is the worst for my PC build BY FAR.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 May 2015 #4

    Hi there.

    95% of the people I see who have mega problems with their builds seem to have Nvidia graphics --- from my dabblings in Linux the Nvidia drivers were ALWAYS the worst problem to either get working at all in the first place or get decent fixes for.

    Some of these Nvidia cards also have their own BIOS in them so all sorts of horrors are possible,

    Loss of things like USB functionality etc just should NOT occur unless some things in the mobo aren't set properly, some components aren't connected properly or some items have gone defective.

    I just can't see how an OS would BREAK a computer --it will either WORK or NOT work. If it doesn't work just restore the previous version (you DID take backup before updating I hope) to ensure the computer itself isn't broken. A decent restore should only take around 15 mins (max) probably much less if your OS is on an SSD.

    I suspect either a defective connection or something with the Nvidia graphics is likely to be the cause.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    18 May 2015 #5

    zeruth said: View Post
    So I today decided to update my PC to build 10074 - biggest ****ing mistake. Tripple shit build. Upgraded and Bluetooth was broken. After doing some research it was fixed in an update. So I download the updates that are available.

    Ha when the PC rebooted all of my USB devices stopped working. Even at the os selection. I literally changed every bios setting I had that had anything to do with USB support. No luck after two hours. I decide a fresh install is in order. While doing so I notice I'm in legacy. I switch to uefi (hopefully resolving any usb issues) and reformat my hard drive to GPT. Install and everything is looking better, and running better as a fresh install (USB working as before). Go to do my updates since Bluetooth needed the update fix still. I do the updates and BAM - no ****ing keyboard and mouse again. - now I'm pissed. Go back into bios and set all to default because I'm in uefi now. Still nothing. Lol Microsoft really ****ed this build up. If you have the mobo in my build below, DO NOT INSTALL THIS BUILD:

    Mobo: Asus Z87-Pro
    CPU: i7-4770k
    Gfx: Nvidia GTX 960
    RAM: 2x4GB Kingston
    PSU:750w

    Its a reproducible problem and nothing on the internet works, believe me. I've been trying to get at this for 6 hours.
    I have had this build since it came out with no issues whatsoever. Obviously your issue isn't build related but hardware on your computer doesn't like this release. That being said you would think that your issues would have surfaced with the other builds as well. Just restore your back up image and move on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    18 May 2015 #6

    stealth2920 said: View Post
    I have had this build since it came out with no issues whatsoever. Obviously your issue isn't build related but hardware on your computer doesn't like this release. That being said you would think that your issues would have surfaced with the other builds as well. Just restore your back up image and move on.
    It is build related lol. When my BT didn't work I assumed drivers. But in KB*61161 it specifically mentioned qualcom atheros as reporting failure. And now my USB doesn't work? It works peachy if I just don't update. But that's rediculous. Might have something to do with the chipset drivers. Will refresh and try again when I get off work at 5 - sigggggh. Its like they had something against my mobo lol
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    18 May 2015 #7

    Quick Test - hit F12 on bios load and choose a USB pen/flash drive and see if you can still boot from that.
    If that fails enter bios and return default and start over. Is there a "switch" in your bios that turns bluetooth on/off.
    Are you attempting to load a usb device from a front panel connection and have dislodged an internal cable.
    Can you revert to Win7 from a backup and ensure all is working correctly then perform an upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 May 2015 #8

    zeruth said: View Post
    It is build related lol. When my BT didn't work I assumed drivers. But in KB*61161 it specifically mentioned qualcom atheros as reporting failure. And now my USB doesn't work? It works peachy if I just don't update. But that's rediculous. Might have something to do with the chipset drivers. Will refresh and try again when I get off work at 5 - sigggggh. Its like they had something against my mobo lol
    I have almost the same system as you. Except mine is a Z87-Expert and I am running 2 GTX 680s with an i7 4771 CPU.

    The only problems I have had are directly related to video. I currently have a clean install of 10074, but have never really had any USB or Bluetooth or Wireless problems.

    I have found giving the system time to complete tasks can be essential in some cases. If you left your system running while you were at work, maybe it will be better when you get home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z87 Devices.JPG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    18 May 2015 #9

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there.

    95% of the people I see who have mega problems with their builds seem to have Nvidia graphics --- from my dabblings in Linux the Nvidia drivers were ALWAYS the worst problem to either get working at all in the first place or get decent fixes for.

    Some of these Nvidia cards also have their own BIOS in them so all sorts of horrors are possible,

    Loss of things like USB functionality etc just should NOT occur unless some things in the mobo aren't set properly, some components aren't connected properly or some items have gone defective.

    I just can't see how an OS would BREAK a computer --it will either WORK or NOT work. If it doesn't work just restore the previous version (you DID take backup before updating I hope) to ensure the computer itself isn't broken. A decent restore should only take around 15 mins (max) probably much less if your OS is on an SSD.

    I suspect either a defective connection or something with the Nvidia graphics is likely to be the cause.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I have it installed on one machine with Nvidia graphics and another with AMD and the Nvidia has better luck. The AMD the brightness is all the way up but the screen is dim. It was corrected a few builds back but now it's back to being dim again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    18 May 2015 #10

    besb said: View Post
    Quick Test - hit F12 on bios load and choose a USB pen/flash drive and see if you can still boot from that.
    If that fails enter bios and return default and start over. Is there a "switch" in your bios that turns bluetooth on/off.
    Are you attempting to load a usb device from a front panel connection and have dislodged an internal cable.
    Can you revert to Win7 from a backup and ensure all is working correctly then perform an upgrade.
    I was on 7 until last night. I upgraded and had the problem. Then did a fresh install and had the same problem. Bios options are a no fix. I have tried everything in there. Its not the USB ports as not a single device works across all ports, wether the built in usb3s on the mobo. The usb3 on the case or the 4 usb2s on the case. If I plug my mouse in. It flashes on for half a second. Then turns off forever. Just like my phone doesn't show up. My ext HD doesn't connect. It completely kills USB functionality. Like I said I'll try again tonight and post back about chipset drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Updates issues Windows 10 build 10074 in Installation and Upgrade
Good day! Hope I can find some answers regarding the issues I'm facing while attempting to update from Windows built 10074. Issues: 1-When pressing Windows button, nothing happens, can't open menu bar. Need always to press right click to...
http://i.imgur.com/ryuT7X6.png
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/05/06/a-break-from-the-past-part-2-saying-goodbye-to-activex-vbscript-attachevent
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04.
Find Us