Windows 10: 10074 updates break my PC Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       18 May 2015 #11

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    I just can't see how an OS would BREAK a computer --it will either WORK or NOT work.
    Normally I'd agree but my first run with W10 on bare metal gradually broke down until it was unusable. I installed it one its own dedicated Samsung 850 EVO (dual booting with my 7 install on an Intel 520 Series) and at first it was brilliant, Office ran smooth, CS3, WinDBG, all great. The dual boot was trouble free too, but after a while things started to get buggy in 10074, the Search function went first by never giving any results, then Outlook wouldn't start up, then the Feedback app wouldn't open. Coinciding with this every time I booted into 7 it would insist on running disk checks on all of my partitions (which was not a quick process) so I decided to go through the Recovery Environment to fix 10 but couldn't get into it. Eventually I wiped the Samsung and will reinstall 10 as and when I get chance.

    The OS itself just seemed to degrade to the point of being unusable, maybe it's just down to it being a Preview, and while it didn't break my PC I can see how it would screw up some people's if they weren't 100% sure of what they were doing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,467
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       18 May 2015 #12

    Bit Rot?


    Boozad said: View Post
    The OS itself just seemed to degrade to the point of being unusable, maybe it's just down to it being a Preview, and while it didn't break my PC I can see how it would screw up some people's if they weren't 100% sure of what they were doing.
    Your description reminds me of the old Amiga PCs.
    After using programs for a couple of weeks, various function would stop working and eventually the entire program would become unusable.

    Maybe the dreaded "Bit Rot" has returned.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 May 2015 #13

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    Your description reminds me of the old Amiga PCs.
    After using programs for a couple of weeks, various function would stop working and eventually the entire program would become unusable.

    Maybe the dreaded "Bit Rot" has returned.
    Darn. . .forgot about that one. . .this has to be what his problem is. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    19 May 2015 #14

    Lee said: View Post
    Darn. . .forgot about that one. . .this has to be what his problem is. . .
    Hahaha yeah - Chipset drivers seem to do the trick - salty that its unrecoverable without a complete do-over.

    Was only so mad because yesterday was a long trying day. and that was the last straw haha. (P.S. still deadly afraid of restarting my pc lol) Updating OP as solved with solution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    19 May 2015 #15

    zeruth said: View Post
    Hahaha yeah - Chipset drivers seem to do the trick - salty that its unrecoverable without a complete do-over.

    Was only so mad because yesterday was a long trying day. and that was the last straw haha. (P.S. still deadly afraid of restarting my pc lol) Updating OP as solved with solution.
    sorry. . .wasn't really picking on you. . .thus will say this. . "Welcome to the Ten's and good luck in the future. One thing you can do so that we can help you in the future is post your Specs so that they will show up in the "My System Specs" box in the lower left corner of your post. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 May 2015 #16

    Lee said: View Post
    sorry. . .wasn't really picking on you. . .thus will say this. . "Welcome to the Ten's and good luck in the future. One thing you can do so that we can help you in the future is post your Specs so that they will show up in the "My System Specs" box in the lower left corner of your post. . .
    Its alright mate, not taking it personal. Thanks, will do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Updates issues Windows 10 build 10074 in Installation and Upgrade
Good day! Hope I can find some answers regarding the issues I'm facing while attempting to update from Windows built 10074. Issues: 1-When pressing Windows button, nothing happens, can't open menu bar. Need always to press right click to...
http://i.imgur.com/ryuT7X6.png
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/05/06/a-break-from-the-past-part-2-saying-goodbye-to-activex-vbscript-attachevent
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34.
Find Us