Windows 10: (win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes

  1.    21 Aug 2016 #1

    (win10, anniversary update) taskbar freezes


    sometimes the task bar freezes. i cannot open or close any program using the task bar icons. i cannot access the task manager by right-clicking on the task bar. open programs continue to run all right. i uninstalled the last two programs that i installed before the problem. the only thing to do is access the task manager by control-alt-delete and restart the computer. has this happened to anyone else? what to do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    22 Aug 2016 #2

    ydaltak said: View Post
    sometimes the task bar freezes. i cannot open or close any program using the task bar icons. i cannot access the task manager by right-clicking on the task bar. open programs continue to run all right. i uninstalled the last two programs that i installed before the problem. the only thing to do is access the task manager by control-alt-delete and restart the computer. has this happened to anyone else? what to do?
    I have exactly the same problem. Any fix yet, I have to keep restarting my PC which is really annoying when i'm writing my thesis
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Aug 2016 #3

    Have it too. Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then Task Manager, find Windows Explorer, right and then choose "Restart" - fixes this without a reboot.
    I wonder what all the non techie people do....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Aug 2016 #4

    (i'm the original poster.) i'm trying an experiment. i have been asked if i was running a third-party antivirus program when explaining a problem i was having with windows 10. i am now running without that program being active and am waiting to see if the taskbar locks up. i guess i should give this a couple of days. i'll let you know what happens.

    as a side note: i cannot enter any text into the search box that comes with cortana. it displays 1 or 2 characters and then nothing. i will be checking on this also.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    22 Aug 2016 #5

    bwinds said: View Post
    Have it too. Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then Task Manager, find Windows Explorer, right and then choose "Restart" - fixes this without a reboot.
    I wonder what all the non techie people do....
    thanks for the tip! this is better than rebooting all the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Nov 2016 #6

    <<as a side note: i cannot enter any text into the search box that comes with cortana. it displays 1 or 2 characters and then nothing. i will be checking on this also.[/QUOTE]

    Having the same issue. In my case the cause is Zemana Free Antilogger. When I need the search box I temporarily disable the Keyboard Protection on Protection Modules, then I can type in the search box
    Not a perfect solution but I never heard back from Zemana support on this issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    24 Nov 2016 #7

    Pulcinella said: View Post
    <<as a side note: i cannot enter any text into the search box that comes with cortana. it displays 1 or 2 characters and then nothing. i will be checking on this also.
    Having the same issue. In my case the cause is Zemana Free Antilogger. When I need the search box I temporarily disable the Keyboard Protection on Protection Modules, then I can type in the search box
    Not a perfect solution but I never heard back from Zemana support on this issue.[/QUOTE]

    eureka! if i turn off zemana, the search box works. i'll have to look into whether i'd rather have the protection or the search box. great find!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Nov 2016 #8

    ydaltak said: View Post
    eureka! if i turn off zemana, the search box works. i'll have to look into whether i'd rather have the protection or the search box. great find!
    You are welcome. I learned to live with it by switching Keyboard Protection off and on.

    On the subject of this thread :
    Still cannot work out the taskbar freezing on boot since the latest Windows 10 upgrade. Got to restart the computer. No other solution in this or other forums did work for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    24 Nov 2016 #9

    Still cannot work out the taskbar freezing on boot since the latest Windows 10 upgrade. Got to restart the computer. No other solution in this or other forums did work for me.[/QUOTE]

    Ctrl-Shift-Escape takes you to the Task Manager, find Windows Explorer (it's tricky because it moves around) and click on it, and then choose "Restart" - fixes this without a reboot. i can do this while a spreadsheet is open and music is playing and neither are affected. all that happens is the task bar blinks off and on and then it works.

    on a similar note: i still have problems with my desktop icons changing size and moving around. also, when i start a program by using a start menu icon, the menu does not go away when the program opens. i have to click on the program's screen and then the start menu goes away. not a big deal - just not right.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    24 Nov 2016 #10

    ydaltak said: View Post
    Ctrl-Shift-Escape takes you to the Task Manager, find Windows Explorer (it's tricky because it moves around) and click on it, and then choose "Restart" - fixes this without a reboot. i can do this while a spreadsheet is open and music is playing and neither are affected. all that happens is the task bar blinks off and on and then it works.>>
    on a similar note: i still have problems with my desktop icons changing size and moving around. also, when i start a program by using a start menu icon, the menu does not go away when the program opens. i have to click on the program's screen and then the start menu goes away. not a big deal - just not right. >>

    Sorry, can't help you here.

    Thanks for the windows explorer tip it work fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi, I just downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yesterday and so far I have noticed some changes in my computer that I was not aware of before the update. (1) Somehow my System Restore was set to Disabled and all of my...
Win10 Anniversary Update Woes in General Support
Updated yesterday to Anniversary Update. My PC worked AoK for about an hour and then the Desktop stopped working. The mouse pointer still moved around, but will not activate the start menu, or any applications. Resorted to a hard re-boot. After...
In 1511 I right clicked in the Start field and it brought up a Properties link. Then there were lots of configuration setting for the Start screen. That no longer works. To the point, before I was able to hide the Apps column and access it by...
Hi Friends, Today, I updated my Alienware to Anniversary Update, after it finished everything was OK but I noticed that the icons on the taskbar has a white background and looked weird to me! this issue is only with the built-in and store apps!...
Does anybody know how to get rid of the Edge shortcut that has been placed on the task bar? I don't want that thing there but unfortunately it cannot be "unpinned".
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34.
Find Us