Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    22 Aug 2016 #11

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    System Volume Information is where Restore Points are kept. This backs up certain files and system configurations so they can be restored later.

    You can purge this if you really want by typing "system restore" in Cortana, then choosing Create a Restore Point, then clicking on Configure, and finally Delete
    Thanks, I'll look into that. I am not sure why one out of three computers would gain 15gB at all, let alone as restore points due to the upgrade, but I do find that with W10 some things that are "impossible" happen, as well as some things that should work, don't.

    (I am beginning to think I just need to roll that particular computer back to my image before the Anniversary Upgrade and let MS try again.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Aug 2016 #12

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    Streets & Trip was deleted because it was discontinued. If you have any software on the hard drive during the upgrade, it will be deleted. The graphical size programs will show you what is taking up what space. Fire fox and no other programs are hiding anything. If you ran Disk Cleanup and choose System, then cleared out old restore points, checked all boxes, whatever would be taking up space from the migration and the old install would be gone.

    It is suggested that after you do an in place upgrade, that you do a Clean install of Windows 10, so that it starts with a clean slate and you do not have problems that were from the old install roll into the new.
    I hate to say it but almost everything you say here makes no sense at all. If you can, you will have to explain it beyond anything your already have posted.

    I have all kinds of software on my hard drive. Some of it also has been discontinued. That doesn't mean it won't run. Streets & Trips is not part of the OS. It was not removed, just broken. Somehow, the registry is incorrect and cannot be corrected, even by reinstallation. It should just have been left alone to run exactly as it did on W10 before the Anniversary Upgrade. It has been there through at least Vista, W7 and, until August, on W10. No problems. An OS "upgrade" to a new version of the same product should be just that. New stuff wrapped around the old. It doesn't, if done properly, require me to do anything.

    I am looking into restore points, but neither of my other two computers, all configured to do restore points, have anything like the 15gB growth since the "upgrade". For that matter, on any major upgrade, not just a "patch", Windows should clear out obsolete restore points. After all, they would roll the new system back out. W10 has other provisions to do that, although many of us have found out that it is also sometimes defective.

    If W10 is so bad that I need to reinstall all my old software by following each update with a clean install, that means at least 6 days of sitting at my computers getting to where they were before the "upgrade". Not gonna happen!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Aug 2016 #13

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    System Volume Information is where Restore Points are kept. This backs up certain files and system configurations so they can be restored later.

    You can purge this if you really want by typing "system restore" in Cortana, then choosing Create a Restore Point, then clicking on Configure, and finally Delete
    Follow up: You hit the problem, but the reaction was even stranger than I expected. To test the premise, I recorded the size of SVI and it was 22.5gB. I created a restore point to try to find the size of my average restore point and to see how SVI would change. The total size of SVI became 2gB!!!!! And it did not remove any of the listed restore points that have occurred since the Anniversary Upgrade. My total size for C: dropped from 53gB to 36.1gB.

    I can't explain the original problem except that the Anniversary Update screwed up and did not clean out some stuff it was supposed to take care of. Creating a new restore point made it evaluate what was stored there and it "fixed" itself.

    Thank you again, for pointing me in the right direction. During the process I also found some useful tools from some of the other posts which helped diagnose the problem. Ten Forums is the place for W10 problem resolution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Aug 2016 #14
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Glad you solved it. And yes, I suppose it's possible that this was old restore points that got cleaned up when you created a new restore point. Upgrades are often problematic, as there is no way for Microsoft to anticipate every possible upgrade scenario. Sometimes you have to punt, sometimes you don't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Aug 2016 #15
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,020
    Mac OS Sierra

    Quote Originally Posted by ARYLIOA View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into that. I am not sure why one out of three computers would gain 15gB at all, let alone as restore points due to the upgrade, but I do find that with W10 some things that are "impossible" happen, as well as some things that should work, don't.

    (I am beginning to think I just need to roll that particular computer back to my image before the Anniversary Upgrade and let MS try again.)
    Really did not gain 15gb, just that some old info that was stored from housekeeping for allowing the OS to make programs pull up faster, etc., just got cleaned out.

    You have to really look at the before and after with the Graphical disk size programs. They help to show where wasted space is going. I have Windows 10 running on my wife's laptop with just a 120gb Samsung 850 evo 3D SSD. She still has around 80gb left for open space.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Aug 2016 #16
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,020
    Mac OS Sierra

    Quote Originally Posted by ARYLIOA View Post
    I hate to say it but almost everything you say here makes no sense at all. If you can, you will have to explain it beyond anything your already have posted.

    I have all kinds of software on my hard drive. Some of it also has been discontinued. That doesn't mean it won't run. Streets & Trips is not part of the OS. It was not removed, just broken. Somehow, the registry is incorrect and cannot be corrected, even by reinstallation. It should just have been left alone to run exactly as it did on W10 before the Anniversary Upgrade. It has been there through at least Vista, W7 and, until August, on W10. No problems. An OS "upgrade" to a new version of the same product should be just that. New stuff wrapped around the old. It doesn't, if done properly, require me to do anything.

    I am looking into restore points, but neither of my other two computers, all configured to do restore points, have anything like the 15gB growth since the "upgrade". For that matter, on any major upgrade, not just a "patch", Windows should clear out obsolete restore points. After all, they would roll the new system back out. W10 has other provisions to do that, although many of us have found out that it is also sometimes defective.

    If W10 is so bad that I need to reinstall all my old software by following each update with a clean install, that means at least 6 days of sitting at my computers getting to where they were before the "upgrade". Not gonna happen!
    Nothing to explain or repeat. Windows 10 is not the problem As I stated before, if you are using discontinued or outdated software, Windows 10 will detect and delete it, especially Microsoft licensed products. It states it in the TOS and all over microsoft.com about how they set out to get rid of user's bad habits and also protecting the OS from having outdated full of security breaches software being ran in Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    23 Aug 2016 #17

    Solved: (or at least corrected) See posts 9 and 13
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.
I just upgraded to Windows 10 as I planned to use the weekend to sort out any issues I might encounter during the upgrade. Well boy did I ever. My Seagate 3TB drive decided it no longer wanted to be recognized by Windows anymore. It shows up as a...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved After Anniversary update...where are my hard drive boot files???
Please help! After yesterdays update (I used the media creation tool), I now have 3 partitions on my C drive. The top drive, before the update, didn't have the partition on the right (NTFS 450MB used). My boot file were in my "E" drive, but now...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Hard drive cluster size issues? Size on HDD over twice the actual size
I went to SSDs on all of my computers some time back, but I still use WD RE4s and 2.5 inch WD Black HDDs for a variety of backup tasks and for storage in which the data will not be accessed for a period longer than is ideal to use a non-powered SSD...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run)
Okay, here's a weird one. And of the searching I've done, it seems others who've had this problem have had encryption, which I don't. Problem: When I click on my H: drive or try to access it from the command line, it gives me an access denied...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Hard drive not appearing in BIOS after PC upgrade
Hi everyone, I know there are a lot of threads about this already but I read a lot and none have helped me. I just did a complete upgrade of my PC replacing motherboard, video card, processor and power supply but keeping original hard...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums