Windows 10: windows 10 anniversery update - start menu alphabetical sorting!

  1.    15 Aug 2016 #1

    windows 10 anniversery update - start menu alphabetical sorting!


    please can someone explain how i get rid of this crap please! i wish for my start menu to be organized, small, and clean and not cluttered!

    i wish i could take it back to before where i would just click all apps or hell even type the name in search but im honestly stumped!

    any help would be appreciated.

    tyvm for your time!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 Aug 2016 #2

    You can still type the name in search. If you want a lean set of apps that you use frequently, then make them tiles and they're instantly accessable (pin to start menu).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,605
    Windows 10 Professional
       15 Aug 2016 #3

    DiBBz said: View Post
    please can someone explain how i get rid of this crap please! i wish for my start menu to be organized, small, and clean and not cluttered!

    i wish i could take it back to before where i would just click all apps or hell even type the name in search but im honestly stumped!

    any help would be appreciated.

    tyvm for your time!
    There is a number of things you could do.
    Over and above what @Mystere already mentioned, you could customize the list from their source folder,
    you could try a 3rd party start menu,
    you could create a custom toolbar to suffice as a menu,

    depends how much work you want to put into it.
    Unfortunately MS doesn't offer any simple customization avenues for their, (in my opinion), poorly designed Start Menu.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    15 Aug 2016 #4

    Mystere said: View Post
    You can still type the name in search. If you want a lean set of apps that you use frequently, then make them tiles and they're instantly accessable (pin to start menu).
    i think you might have miss-understand my post!

    i want to get rid of the alphabetical categorizing scroll thing on my start menu!



    then again after seeing the latest reply i might have miss-understood yours!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 8,605
    Windows 10 Professional
       15 Aug 2016 #5

    You can't get rid of it but, you can customize it.
    Here is an example of my Menu, I rename appropriately what I want to show and hide the rest:

    Show Us Your Desktop [4] - Page 5 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    15 Aug 2016 #6

    Edwin said: View Post
    You can't get rid of it but, you can customize it.
    Here is an example of my Menu, I rename appropriately what I want to show and hide the rest:

    Show Us Your Desktop [4] - Page 5 - Windows 10 Forums
    yeah still need info on exactly how i get rid of it! saying i could do this or do that does not really help me in fixing the problem or knowing what to search for and finding a relatively recent search result that actually provides an answer!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 8,605
    Windows 10 Professional
       15 Aug 2016 #7

    DiBBz said: View Post
    yeah still need info on exactly how i get rid of it! saying i could do this or do that does not really help me in fixing the problem or knowing what to search for and finding a relatively recent search result that actually provides an answer!
    Well, you need to give some idea of what you'd like to accomplish.
    I'm not going to spend 30 or 40 minutes composing a mini customization tutorial then have you post back: "Naw, I don't wanna do that!"
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    15 Aug 2016 #8

    DiBBz said: View Post
    i think you might have miss-understand my post!

    i want to get rid of the alphabetical categorizing scroll thing on my start menu!

    then again after seeing the latest reply i might have miss-understood yours!
    I understood what you want, but you can't do that out of the box. I was offering you alternatives, and also correcting you when you said you couldn't type into search to find apps, as that still works just as it always has.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       15 Aug 2016 #9
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I'm currently running Win10 on a couple desktops with no microphones. I've disabled disabled Cortana. I've kept the search function (local only - no web search). And I do not use a Microsoft account to log into Windows. I understand that I...
Sorting Start screen tiles in Customization
Is there no means to sort tiles alphabetically in a Start screen named group? It seems archaic to have to rearrange tiles by hand every time I add a new one, simply to maintain their alphabetic order.
Hello, I normally organize and rename the shortcuts in the start menu (in the folder ...\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu) to shorter or more memorable names. However, my start menu is not in alphabetical order anymore. For example:...
Apps Menu Sorting in Software and Apps
I decided to create a folder in the apps menu for all of my games. I moved all of my game shortcuts from my desktop into the new Games folder I discovered that if there was already an entry for a game in another folder that the new entry would not...
Hi there For those of you who can't get the Windows Start menu in build 10074 to appear or work when you UPDATE from build 10061 it WILL work if you revert back first to build 10049 and then update. Activate windows and re-boot -- now it will...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:48.
Find Us