Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    14 May 2015 #21
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,077
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    The only thing one could use such a OSaaS for are devices with only RAM and an internet connection. Great for spies(CIA) or companies the depend on offline security turn the device off and all info is gone.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    14 May 2015 #22
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 828
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by poolmon View Post
    I just read that Win 10 is to be available on a subscription (online downloadable) basis only. If that is true, how does a computer homebuilder (who normally buys a builder's OS DVD to insert upon first boot from the BIOS) install Win 10 since the homebuilt computer will not yet have an OS on it capable of launching a browser to go online and download anything?
    wrong gabe confirms no subscription at all

    Gabriel Aul ‎@GabeAul

    @briguy943 "Windows as a service" just means that we'll continuously keep it up to date. There is no ongoing fee.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 May 2015 #23
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    wrong gabe confirms no subscription at all

    Gabriel Aul ‎@GabeAul

    @briguy943 "Windows as a service" just means that we'll continuously keep it up to date. There is no ongoing fee.
    Thanks for the update Dave.. now that might just calm some people down.. but I doubt everyone will buy that statement.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 May 2015 #24
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I agree on the red card.. it would make no sense to me to do that. I could see it for businesses that want faster updates and for others that want that same level of service but for "average" daily users that speed of updates may not be necessary..

    And what would the fee be?? That would be critical for many,, including me.
    The problem here is one of the interest of the commons.

    Most consumers don't care if they are using a patched and secure computer. However, an insecure computer affects more than just them. It affects the entire internet because their computer can be used to hack other systems, become a spam zombie, and of course there's the fact that they can grab your bank information, which causes an overall increase in insurance rates and the costs of banking.

    Yes, "that speed of updates" *is* necessary for average daily users, whether they think so or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 May 2015 #25
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    The problem here is one of the interest of the commons.

    Most consumers don't care if they are using a patched and secure computer. However, an insecure computer affects more than just them. It affects the entire internet because their computer can be used to hack other systems, become a spam zombie, and of course there's the fact that they can grab your bank information, which causes an overall increase in insurance rates and the costs of banking.

    Yes, "that speed of updates" *is* necessary for average daily users, whether they think so or not.
    I was referring to upgrades rather than security updates.. even if MS did charge for the service, which they aren't based on a previous post, I doubt they would slow down the security updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 May 2015 #26
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,077
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I was referring to upgrades rather than security updates.. even if MS did charge for the service, which they aren't based on a previous post, I doubt they would slow down the security updates.
    Another words no Windows 11 no Windows 12, just Windows(as a service) meaning all further development/upgrades will be free and you won't have to pay for a new license. Like a Rolling Release in Linux.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    14 May 2015 #27
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Another words no Windows 11 no Windows 12, just Windows(as a service) meaning all further development/upgrades will be free and you won't have to pay for a new license. Like a Rolling Release in Linux.
    That's how I understand how it's going to be with Windows from now on. I would suspect that the name may get old after a while and it may get changed but that will not happen for a few years.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 May 2015 #28
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Covington, Louisiana
    Posts : 735
    Windows 10 1703 Pro 64

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Another words no Windows 11 no Windows 12, just Windows(as a service) meaning all further development/upgrades will be free and you won't have to pay for a new license. Like a Rolling Release in Linux.
    I agree.

    Paul Thurrott post a while back (can't find the post) but was told the Windows 10 license was a per device license. It looks like it will be like a OEM license and is good only on that device and can't be transferred. But you will get all updates and new features going forward with out paying for it as long as that device is still working. Buy a new device and buy a new Windows License. Since the vast majority of devices come with the OS installed its a good deal and you never pay for OS upgrades again.

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 May 2015 #29
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,077
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    That's how I understand how it's going to be with Windows from now on. I would suspect that the name may get old after a while and it may get changed but that will not happen for a few years.
    Oh Jeff you know how it is with "In" words.. everything these days is either called Tech Preview or Insider. Over here a TV channel called RTL has the RTL Insider App. The new browser is called Tech Preview, I could go on, "Preview the new Captain Crunch and Insider every package is 10 Surface 3 Air missels"
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    14 May 2015 #30
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 91
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Thanks for the update Dave.. now that might just calm some people down.. but I doubt everyone will buy that statement.

    I buy it, so will many others that can see that a subscription of any kind would drive users away from 10 and not to it. When MS said a Free upgrade they meant Free.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
The Future of Windows: Subscription?
Although I have seen nothing on the official site I have seen this bouncing around other sites on the web. Here is one of those sites: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/ Wondering...
General Support
Windows 10 Subscription Plan
http://http://www.techrepublic.com/article/with-the-windows-365-trademark-the-windows-10-subscription-plan-becomes-apparent/?tag=nl.e099&s_cid=e099&ttag=e099&ftag=TREd8c0fa8 ...
General Support
Will windows 10 have a subscription service?
Will windows 10 have a subscription service? I can see some issues with that. Not everyone wants another monthly bill. I am not crazy about Linux but I did find Lubuntu works, the only issue I have is backup up and restore to a usb hard...
Chillout Room
W9 Cloud Based or Subscription only ?
Hi there With Adobe Photoshop and Office already going subscription will W9 be a subscription / Cloud based service or not. I really don't like the idea of subscription based models but it seems that the market is moving inevitably towards that...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums